Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

2016 Mlb Draft

477 posts in this topic

I watched Lewis several times this year.  He was impressive each time.  He hit for power, avg, and showed great speed.

Keith Law's latest mock has Puk, Lewis going 1 and 2. He then has the Braves picking Groome

Atlanta could take a strong college position player here, such as Ray, and then resume their usual high-upside high school strategy in the sandwich round. That said, they've loved Groome's upside since the fall, and I think they'd feel like they were getting the draft's top talent."

Rumors are that the Braves may try to do something similar to what the Astros did last year, and get a Top 25 talent to stay around for the #40 pick in exchange for a an overslot bonus. Of course, to make that work, they'd have to get the #3 pick to agree to an underslot bonus.

g-dawg likes this

From Law's chat this evening:

Greg: What are the chances Kyle Lewis falls to Atlanta at 3? Do you think they’d take him if he did?
Klaw: 40-50% chance, think they’d take him if Groome is gone.

Dan: International prospect question. For a team like Atlanta that we know is going to blow past their signing pool, are they allowed to deal their pool money to other teams? It seems like another way to acquire assets since they’re going to blow past the pool anyway.
Klaw: The Dodgers did this last year.

John: What is your take on Fredi Gonzalez firing?
Klaw: They should have done it in November and hired the right long-term guy then and there.

Larry: I know this is probably a shot in the dark, but have you heard any names connected to Atlanta at 40 and 44 overall?
Klaw: Yes, I’ve mentioned a bunch in my writeups so far and have also heard them on Matthias Dietz at Logan JC.

Steve: If Lewis is gone before pick 3, you believe that Braves would take Groome. Do you prefer Groome to Pint? Why? Others have said Braves would lean more toward Pint.
Klaw: I don’t know who “others” are or why they’d say that because I don’t think that’s true at all. Groome’s the better prospect and Atlanta prefers him.

Espn breakdown

Atlanta Braves
First pick: No. 3 overall
Bonus pool: $12,385,200 (4th)

System strength: The best system in baseball is an ice cream sundae of pitching topped with two of the game's better middle-infield prospects. It's only going to get sweeter with the draft and a highly touted upcoming international class.

System weakness: Aside from unrefined slugger Austin Riley, the system doesn't have much power. Dansby Swanson and Ozzie Albies could be future All-Stars, but neither of them is going to hit 30-plus bombs.

Recent top picks
2015: Kolby Allard, LHP, No. 14
2014: Braxton Davidson, 1B, No. 32
2013: Jason Hursh, RHP, No. 31
2012: Lucas Sims, RHP, No. 21
2011: Sean Gilmartin, LHP, No. 28

Possible fits

Jason Groome, LHP, Barnegat (New Jersey) HS: Groome is the most talented player in the draft, but the recent track record of high school pitching selected near the top of the draft is not good. Atlanta's system is strong enough that the Braves can probably afford to take a risk and live with it if Groome is a bust, but taking another arm doesn't exactly do much to diversify the kind of talent currently atop the system.

Corey Ray, OF, Louisville: Ray, or a college bat like his, makes sense for a system teeming with pitching. If Kyle Lewis gets past the Reds at No. 2, he or Tennessee third baseman Nick Senzelcould be possibilities, with Lewis having the highest ceiling and Senzel the highest floor of the three.

Fallen high school arms: The Braves pick at Nos. 3, 40 and 44. They could cut a deal at No. 3, especially with a college bat, then find a fallen first-round talent at 40 who they could still afford to sign. The actions of the Padres and Cardinals, who both have multiple picks between Nos. 3 and 40, could really affect the Braves.

1 minute ago, Unkn0wn said:

Id like to see Lewis still on the board at #3. I wouldnt be shocked if the Phillies grabbed him at #1 though

Yeah, Lewis is becoming the guy I want, but I don't think he drops to #3. I think we go either Groome or Pint, but I wonder if they're working on an underslot deal with Ray that would allow them to take Rutherford at #40.

11 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Yeah, Lewis is becoming the guy I want, but I don't think he drops to #3. I think we go either Groome or Pint, but I wonder if they're working on an underslot deal with Ray that would allow them to take Rutherford at #40.

No thanks on Rutherford

7 minutes ago, ransack said:

No thanks on Rutherford

At 40? I wouldn't take him with the #3 pick, but he'd be a steal at 40.

2 hours ago, K26dp said:

At 40? I wouldn't take him with the #3 pick, but he'd be a steal at 40.

I'm not a fan of his tool set. His throwing motion is off and he has a loopy swing. Fixable things over time but not what I want in an early round pick.

1 minute ago, Unkn0wn said:

At 40 you have to take Rutherford if he's there. Some have him projected as an early 1st round pick.

Value and what others project him at doesn't matter to me. I look at his tape and I don't like what I see. I've seen a lot of baseball players in my life and I don't see what others are seeing in him. I'll gladly come back in a few years and admit I'm wrong if he makes it but I don't see it.

3 hours ago, K26dp said:

That's been my expectation since Ray makes the most sense talent and position wise. That has been further bolstered by the rumors that they're looking to go underslot at #3 to help them go overslot at #40 and #44, which can be further helped with the slot money they got from the Orioles.

20 minutes ago, K26dp said:

He has what's called an ABC swing. Hands start at A, drop to B, and go to C. This creates a loop in the swing. Looks good at BP speed because his stance is high and can drop the bat head on the ball. Speed the ball up to 90+ and that loop now becomes a liability in that it costs him time and he has a narrower window to make contact with the ball because the bat path isn't in the zone for a long as it should be. His arm strength is below average for a right fielder. My RF'er in high school who made it no further than High A ball could hit me on a rope from short RF. This guy is one hopping it. Fringy arm at best that projects to left field. I saw Markakis, Francouer, and Owings at 17 years old and they blow this kid out of the water at the same age and progression

I'll defer to you regarding the arm, but recent game footage I'm seeing doesn't have him with a loop. His hands start at his head and go to the ball.  

12 minutes ago, K26dp said:

I'll defer to you regarding the arm, but recent game footage I'm seeing doesn't have him with a loop. His hands start at his head and go to the ball.  

You'll have to show me. Everything I've seen of him looks like what you posted above. It will give him trouble against advanced pitching.

Baseball America's latest mock has the Braves taking OF Corey Ray for the first time after each previous iteration having them taking RHP Riley Pint.

3. BRAVES: The closer the draft approaches, the more the talk shifts to college players, even though the Braves want upside and this draft offers two impact preps in Riley Pint and Jason Groome, both of whom the Braves have scouted extensively. Instead, they are said to be headed for a signable college bat such as Louisville’s Corey Ray, who has plenty of impact potential.

Keith Law discussed the draft. He said he thinks Groome is #1 in the Braves eyes. Law adds Ray is in the mix but doesnt think Senzel is. He also mentions he was told by a scout that Blake Rutherford falling to 40 is a real possibility. Rutherford wants to be paid and the Braves have the money.

Just going to be pissed when the Braves draft a high school pitcher that we won't see in Atlanta in 6 or 7 years when we could draft a legit college bat like Ray and see him in the majors in as soon as 2 years. There's a reason the Braves offense has been complete ******* trash for a decade now except for fluke years like 2013.