Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

2016 Mlb Draft

477 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, jidady said:

I have smaller ambitions. I hope he surpasses Salcedo.

Well, I guess I'm somewhere in between.

I'm just saying let's make he can walk before we ask him to run.

For all the aggravation Teheran gives us, I'd argue he's largely lived up to our vision for him. He got to the majors, and he's played quite well at times. That's better than we should expect of a 16-year-old.

Teheran makes you mad at times but he has lived up to the hype. Made an All Star team and has had his share of stellar games.

Historically, the Braves have had a decent track record of international signees that make the majors. In the last 10 years (bold has been an All-Star):

• Tony Pena
  • Martin Prado
  • Jose Ascanio 
  • Gregor Blanco
  • Elvis Andrus
  • Neftali Feliz
  • Barbaro Canizares
  • JC Boscan
  • Randall Delgado
  • Julio Teheran
  • Luis Avilan
  • Christian Bethancourt
  • Williams Perez
  • Jose Peraza
  • Daniel Castro

Not a bad hit rate for a team that didn't invest heavily in that market. We also have Mauricio Cabrera and Ozzie Albies currently in the minors and likely to make the majors at some point, plus a slew of guys in the lower minors.

I see talk that Maitan may be instantly ranked the #1 prospect the day he signs. Seems fair for a guy compared to Chipper and Miguel Cabrera.

26 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

I see talk that Maitan may be instantly ranked the #1 prospect the day he signs. Seems fair for a guy compared to Chipper and Miguel Cabrera.

Seems sort of ridiculous to do for a 16 year old though.

2 minutes ago, jidady said:

More than anything, I don't want him to feel crushed under the weight of unreasonable expectations.

I doubt he speaks a lot of english at this point so he's probably not reading a lot of the same stuff that we are.

Thats actually a point being made about Eddie Perez. He'll be able to communicate and relate to guys like Maitin. Could be key since we plan on investing so heavily in that market.

4 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Teheran makes you mad at times but he has lived up to the hype. Made an All Star team and has had his share of stellar games.

Teheran is great throwing to any catcher not named A.J. Pierzynski. ERA over 5 throwing to A.J. and great numbers throwing to everyone else.

9 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Thats actually a point being made about Eddie Perez. He'll be able to communicate and relate to guys like Maitin. Could be key since we plan on investing so heavily in that market.

Fredi, Tosca, and Perez all speak spanish. Probably the most bilingual coaching staff in the league.

Baseball America re-released their Top 100 Draft Prospects list. Here's the Top 15.

Rk	Player			Pos.		School
1	A.J. Puk		lhp		Florida
2	Riley Pint		rhp		St. Thomas Aquinas High, Overland Park, Kan.
3	Jason Groome		lhp		Barnegat (N.J.) High
4	Kyle Lewis		of		Mercer
5	Nick Senzel		3b		Tennessee
6	Corey Ray		of		Louisville
7	Delvin Perez		ss		International Baseball Academy, Ceiba, P.R.
8	Mickey Moniak		of		La Costa Canyon High, Carlsbad, Calif.
9	Braxton Garrett		lhp		Florence (Ala.) High
10	Blake Rutherford	of		Chaminade College Prep, Canoga Park, Calif.
11	Ian Anderson		rhp		Shenendohowa High, Clifton Park, N.Y.
12	Matt Manning		rhp		Sheldon High, Sacramento
13	Dakota Hudson		rhp		Mississippi State
14	Alex Kirilloff		of		Plum High, New Kensington, Pa.
15	Zack Collins		c		Miami

There had been some noise about Zack Collins perhaps being in play for the Braves with the #40 pick, but it's looking more unlikely.

I wonder which college hitter they will go after this year? And next year since we will probably have a top 2 pick i hope we take JJ Schwartz from UF. Taking two college hitters in back to back draft in the first rounds would be huge. I know we haven't gotten to the 2016 draft and it's way too early for 2017 but the future is all i have to look forward to for my Braves

Falconsfan567 likes this

Just now, youngbloodz said:

I wonder which college hitter they will go after this year? And next year since we will probably have a top 2 pick i hope we take JJ Schwartz from UF. Taking two college hitters in back to back draft in the first rounds would be huge. I know we haven't gotten to the 2016 draft and it's way too early for 2017 but the future is all i have to look forward to for my Braves

If reports are true then the Phillies are looking at Kyle Lewis for the 1st overall pick. Assuming the Reds take Puk after that, seeing as how they need pitching help ASAP, and that the Braves stick with their [reported] plan to take a college bat then that would leave us Corey Ray, which would make me happy.

1 minute ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

If reports are true then the Phillies are looking at Kyle Lewis for the 1st overall pick. Assuming the Reds take Puk after that, seeing as how they need pitching help ASAP, and that the Braves stick with their [reported] plan to take a college bat then that would leave us Corey Ray, which would make me happy.

Heard a little about him. I know he has some power. Need to go do more research on him

1 minute ago, youngbloodz said:

Heard a little about him. I know he has some power. Need to go do more research on him

He's a spray hitter with a smooth swing and good speed. He projects as a LF.

Phillies are desperate for OF help and offense so Lewis makes sense. Ive read that Ray is probably the closest to MLB ready.

1 hour ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

He's a spray hitter with a smooth swing and good speed. He projects as a LF.

I heard he had power. Like 20 homers a year power

MLB.com's Jonathan Mayonnaise released his first mock draft a couple of days ago. He has Ray at #7 to Miami but mentions he may go before that. He also notes Senzel may go before his projected #6 to Oakland.

His top 5:

1. Phillies: Kyle Lewis, OF, Mercer
Pitchers like A.J. Puk and Jason Groome might still be in the mix, but with neither one seeming like a slam dunk, it seems that the Phillies are leaning toward a bat as of this moment. Lewis has done more than any of the hitters in this area to make a claim to be 1-1.

2. Reds: A.J. Puk, LHP, Florida
Puk won't get far, though his rough start last week didn't help his cause. Premium stuff and size still point to frontline starter potential, even if he's been a bit enigmatic at Florida.

3. Braves: Jason Groome, LHP, Barnegat (N.J.) H.S.
The Braves have gotten back to being more aggressive and going after upside when drafting, and no one in this class has more of that than Groome. A college bat would likely be the next choice here.

4. Rockies: Mickey Moniak, OF, La Costa Canyon H.S., Carlsbad, Calif.
Moniak has as much helium as anyone in the class right now, and he's even getting checked out closely by the Phillies, with some signs of power adding to his plus hit and speed tools.

5. Brewers: Delvin Perez, SS, International Baseball Academy, Ceiba, P.R.
Perez has as many tools as anyone, with the ability to stay up the middle. If it all clicks, he has superstar potential.