Week 3 Didn't Seem Like A Dress Rehearsal; Still Experimenting?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. That was the primary element of the post. Re-read the post again. I talked about schemes and game planning. We should know by now who our starters are. We should be knocking rust off our starters getting them ready for Week 1. This final preseason game should be used to install the rest of our schemes for OL and DL. We should be ready for week 1 when it comes, but I don't think we will be. We're behind schedule.

And as for the Broncos, well let's see how their 1st week turn out too.

You talk like you've been through multiple preseasons as a coach and you know exactly what's going on. Just FYI you dont. You have no clue.

Dude, it's obviously we're still "experimenting" here. Let's not fool ourselves.

I fully agree that we are still experimenting but what does that have to do with installing the scheme.

The experimentation is figuring out who is the best starter for the scheme, not implementing the scheme.

If you want to complain about continuity then you may have a point but saying we are behind with installing the scheme is not smart.

I fully agree that we are still experimenting but what does that have to do with installing the scheme.

The experimentation is figuring out who is the best starter for the scheme, not implementing the scheme.

If you want to complain about continuity then you may have a point but saying we are behind with installing the scheme is not smart.

Not implementation of the scheme, but getting the starters use to running the schemes. They need to be as comfortable running them as putting their pants on. If we don't know who the starters are, how will they get comfortable running them if they're being bounced around to different positions and the coaches are still experimenting?

Uhhhhhh - scheme is for the entire team, regardless of who the starters are....looked like we didn't do anything new or specific for the Dolphins and how we thought they would attack us....

Well, the backups are backups for a reason. Our starters need to be set in stone by now. Week 1 is fastly approaching and coming with it is an Eagles team that is not experimenting, but fighting to keep their coach employed with them.

Not implementation of the scheme, but getting the starters use to running the schemes. They need to be as comfortable running them as putting their pants on. If we don't know who the starters are, how will they get comfortable running them if they're being bounced around to different positions and the coaches are still experimenting?

Again you are clearly not understanding the difference between players knowing the scheme and knowing the player beside them.

I do wish the staraters were known by now, not because they aren't comfortable with the scheme but because they may not be comfortable with eachother, which is important for ZBS especially.

The scheme is understood and yes there will be some minor mistakes that lead to major results but that's the case with any new scheme.

Watching the Broncos the wide receivers were making some bad cuts or cutting too wide or too late. That's what a new scheme does. Your expectation of it being as comfortable as putting your pants on is too high for any team regardless if they know their starters or not.

Given the fact that there were changes at the OL and (as others suggested) some pretty simple scheming suggests that Quinn and/or Shanahan didn't treat Week 3 like the typical "dress rehearsal" game but instead more like Weeks 1 and 2. It may be because they're both dealing with a brand new team and didn't feel they were satisfied with trying new possibilities. It would be a good because it would mean that our performance on offense last night was not representative of a real game. It also shows diligence by the coaches to ensure that they have the best possible team groupings and are not content with solidifying everything just yet.

At least, I certainly hope that's the case. :ninja: Obviously if they treated the first quarter like a real game then I'm a little worried, but even in the press conferences leading up to Week 3 the coaching staff didn't seem to emphasize this game (of course, most coaches probably wouldn't say that anyway).

It's not time to panic at all. It's going to take time for these guys to gel on this o-line. Plus, in the pre-season, coaches have said many times that they are doing a true gameplan but just experimenting and trying out stuff. It's just an exhibition. In 2012, I'm pretty sure we went 0-4 in the preseason (or 1-3) and still finished the season 13-3

Again you are clearly not understanding the difference between players knowing the scheme and knowing the player beside them.

I do wish the staraters were known by now, not because they aren't comfortable with the scheme but because they may not be comfortable with eachother, which is important for ZBS especially.

The scheme is understood and yes there will be some minor mistakes that lead to major results but that's the case with any new scheme.

Watching the Broncos the wide receivers were making some bad cuts or cutting too wide or too late. That's what a new scheme does. Your expectation of it being as comfortable as putting your pants on is too high for any team regardless if they know their starters or not.

Being comfortable with each other is just as important as knowing the scheme. I actually equate it as part of the scheme. Familiarity with the scheme and your trench brother. And comfortable as putting your pants on aren't too high. This is football. We ALL know mistakes will be made, but you want to limit them as a coach. This "experimentation" that's this late in the preseason doesn't do that. It enhances the mistakes. Who knows, maybe this is all part of the "Mighty Quinn" plan. To enhance the mistakes of this offense and players to see who he wants to cut. I just hope this doesn't backfire against us in Week 1.

The Broncos, Patriots, and Seahawks all seem to be experimenting a lot as well. Just saying.

Unless you think the Seahawks offense failing to score a TD is indicative of their talent, Manning not throwing a TD all preseason is indicative of him being a bottom tier QB, and Brady throwing two picks and only outscoring the Panthers 7-6 in the first half is indicative of the Patriots being a bad team this season.

You pretty much just killed it here. Good post.

Quinn said the days of all that crap are long gone. Preseason to him is obviously solely about player evaluation, nothing more.

You pretty much just killed it here. Good post.

Quinn said the days of all that crap are long gone. Preseason to him is obviously solely about player evaluation, nothing more.

I think most folks are used to Smitty handling the pre-season, competition, evaluation, etc a certain way - which is understandable, but DQ operates differently.

It bothers me they haven't figured out the best starting group for the offensive line by now

Me too, bro. This constantly revolving door still going on at almost every OL position except LT this late in the preseason can not possibly be a good thing. Maybe the brutal truth is THERE IS NO "best starting group" among this group of scrubs and cast-offs. Not even Jake Matthews is looking like he can handle his position. The rest are just out and out pathetic.

The biggest mistake this new regime has made so far is depending too much on TD's pathetic OL draft picks and only adding a bunch of no-name second-tier FA players in to the mix. It's like putting a band-aid on a sucking chest wound and declaring the patient cured. Trying to build an OL with mostly scrubs didn't work in 2013, 2014 and it's apparent it ain't going to work in 2015 either.

Well, the backups are backups for a reason. Our starters need to be set in stone by now. Week 1 is fastly approaching and coming with it is an Eagles team that is not experimenting, but fighting to keep their coach employed with them.

Nothing could be further from the truth...

Given the fact that there were changes at the OL and (as others suggested) some pretty simple scheming suggests that Quinn and/or Shanahan didn't treat Week 3 like the typical "dress rehearsal" game but instead more like Weeks 1 and 2. It may be because they're both dealing with a brand new team and didn't feel they were satisfied with trying new possibilities. It would be a good because it would mean that our performance on offense last night was not representative of a real game. It also shows diligence by the coaches to ensure that they have the best possible team groupings and are not content with solidifying everything just yet.

At least, I certainly hope that's the case. :ninja: Obviously if they treated the first quarter like a real game then I'm a little worried, but even in the press conferences leading up to Week 3 the coaching staff didn't seem to emphasize this game (of course, most coaches probably wouldn't say that anyway).

that was not a dress rehearsal our franchise QB could have been badly injured.

The Broncos, Patriots, and Seahawks all seem to be experimenting a lot as well. Just saying.

Unless you think the Seahawks offense failing to score a TD is indicative of their talent, Manning not throwing a TD all preseason is indicative of him being a bottom tier QB, and Brady throwing two picks and only outscoring the Panthers 7-6 in the first half is indicative of the Patriots being a bad team this season.

thread ends here