Week 3 Didn't Seem Like A Dress Rehearsal; Still Experimenting?

likeriver

Given the fact that there were changes at the OL and (as others suggested) some pretty simple scheming suggests that Quinn and/or Shanahan didn't treat Week 3 like the typical "dress rehearsal" game but instead more like Weeks 1 and 2. It may be because they're both dealing with a brand new team and didn't feel they were satisfied with trying new possibilities. It would be a good because it would mean that our performance on offense last night was not representative of a real game. It also shows diligence by the coaches to ensure that they have the best possible team groupings and are not content with solidifying everything just yet.

At least, I certainly hope that's the case. ph34r.png Obviously if they treated the first quarter like a real game then I'm a little worried, but even in the press conferences leading up to Week 3 the coaching staff didn't seem to emphasize this game (of course, most coaches probably wouldn't say that anyway).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was an opportunity for guys to compete, which is our team philosophy. It was not an attempt for us to feel good about ourselves.

I really didn't want the starters to go into the season thinking their ish didn't stink. Better to get a wake up call now instead of in week one.

But we should be installing schemes and game plans by now. If we're "still letting people compete" for starting jobs, then we're in worst shape than a lot of us think. The season opener will be here before you know it. The final preseason game is next week. When are they planning installing the rest of their schemes if they're still "trying out" players for positions?

They should know by now which will make the 53 and which ones they want to put on PS. This final preseason game should be used to get the starters game ready. Knocking rust off and getting use to the game plans that they will be running during the season.

But we should be installing schemes and game plans by now. If we're "still letting people compete" for starting jobs, then we're in worst shape than a lot of us think. The season opener will be here before you know it. The final preseason game is next week. When are they planning installing the rest of their schemes if they're still "trying out" players for positions?

They should know by now which will make the 53 and which ones they want to put on PS. This final preseason game should be used to get the starters game ready. Knocking rust off and getting use to the game plans that they will be running during the season.

The Broncos, Patriots, and Seahawks all seem to be experimenting a lot as well. Just saying.

Unless you think the Seahawks offense failing to score a TD is indicative of their talent, Manning not throwing a TD all preseason is indicative of him being a bottom tier QB, and Brady throwing two picks and only outscoring the Panthers 7-6 in the first half is indicative of the Patriots being a bad team this season.

The Broncos, Patriots, and Seahawks all seem to be experimenting a lot as well. Just saying.

Unless you think the Seahawks offense failing to score a TD is indicative of their talent, Manning not throwing a TD all preseason is indicative of him being a bottom tier QB, and Brady throwing two picks and only outscoring the Panthers 7-6 in the first half is indicative of the Patriots being a bad team this season.

Great post.

Still experimenting? I think not. They KNOW who their starters are. Who's our starting Center? What about guards? Do we know?

Don't you think if Stone gonna be our center that he needs to learn his blocking assignment for the center position? Then why is he playing guard with a different assignment? Who's on first?

+1

The fact of the matter is that the 3rd Preseason game is the closest thing to an actual in-season game that you will ever see until Week 1.

No matter what is said before or after about the coaching staff's approach to the game, the 3rd game is the fundamental evaluation tape coaches use to compile their roster and determine what this team is going to look like.

It's obvious there are a number of concerns for this team, but, there are also improvements and some bright spots.

Still experimenting? I think not. They KNOW who their starters are. Who's our starting Center? What about guards? Do we know?

Don't you think if Stone gonna be our center that he needs to learn his blocking assignment for the center position? Then why is he playing guard with a different assignment? Who's on first?

Patriots don't know their starting WR

Seahawks don't know their starting Guard

Broncos JUST signed their starting G and he didn't even play.

We know our starting C. We don't know our starting LG. Same scenario

Not "exactly" the same. We have a new coach, coordinators, and a new scheme. Seahawks still have their same schemes. Our players are trying to learn something different.

Not "exactly" the same. We have a new coach, coordinators, and a new scheme. Seahawks still have their same schemes. Our players are trying to learn something different.

So now we're adding different elements to the equation.

I was just answering your concern about the Falcons not knowing their starters and those others knowing their starters.

But if we want to add different elements to it, Broncos have a new coach, new scheme, and new coordinators as well.

Edited by ATLFalcons11

So now we're adding different elements to the equation.

I was just answering your concern about the Falcons not knowing their starters and those others knowing their starters.

But if we want to add different elements to it, Broncos has a new coach, new scheme, and new coordinators as well.

No. That was the primary element of the post. Re-read the post again. I talked about schemes and game planning. We should know by now who our starters are. We should be knocking rust off our starters getting them ready for Week 1. This final preseason game should be used to install the rest of our schemes for OL and DL. We should be ready for week 1 when it comes, but I don't think we will be. We're behind schedule.

And as for the Broncos, well let's see how their 1st week turn out too.

No. That was the primary element of the post. Re-read the post again. I talked about schemes and game planning. We should know by now who our starters are. We should be knocking rust off our starters getting them ready for Week 1. This final preseason game should be used to install the rest of our schemes for OL and DL. We should be ready for week 1 when it comes, but I don't think we will be. We're behind schedule.

The entire install was implemented about to weeks ago.

Don't bother trying to reason, I don't think they watched any of those teams games or kept up with their news...which is alright, not everyone has the time to do that, but acting like you know what you're talking about when you don't is...eh.

Way to move the goalposts. That wasn't what your post was about remotely and it's something that can't be helped.

And as for the Broncos, well let's see how their 1st week turn out too.

Because we don't know our starting Guard we are behind schedule????

Yea that makes all the sense in the world.

Don't bother trying to reason, I don't think they watched any of those teams games or kept up with their news...which is alright, not everyone has the time to do that, but acting like you know what you're talking about when you don't is...eh.

Way to move the goalposts. That wasn't what your post was about remotely and it's something that can't be helped.

Can you read? Go back and re-read my initial post.