Run Defense & Special Teams Only Winners Last Night

Guest Gritz

I'm not going to panic over the offensive line yet but good Lord that was painful to watch. After the game was over I couldn't help but think "Crap, Ryan's going to be running for his life YET AGAIN this year. How many of his productive years are the Falcons going to waste by not giving him a decent line?"

Offensive line had a well-rounded game. They couldn't pass protect or run block so they delivered consistent garbage.

Wasn't as surprised by the lackluster play of our offensive line as I was by the lack of pressure on Tannehill when our 1s were going against their 1s. Fins were down to their 3rd LT and we still couldn't get to him? I know Tannehill was running plays that got the ball out of his hand quickly but still.

The run defense is much improved. That's gratifying to see. Special teams look like they're good to go too.

I knew and still know that the ZBS is going to take some time to gel but that was abysmal. Chris Morgan and Shanahan should get heavy usage of toothpicks this week. They will be picking large chunks of O-linemen butts out of their teeth after practices.

Falcons won't win more than 5 or 6 games if we get O-line play like this.

I think your post ad the 1st sentence contradict eachother. Lol.

It's hard not to be concerned but thinking about how Person started at Center when he has been terrible there, no Julio or Roddy to recognize a blitz and adjust their route, and more...it would appear that this was treated as another game to see what we have as opposed to mimicking what we will see in week 1.

Edited by ATLFalcons11

I think your post ad the 1st sentence contradict eachother. Lol.

It's hard not to be concerned but thinking about how Person started at Center when he has been terrible there, no Julio or Roddy to recognize a blitz and adjust their route, and more...it would appear that this was treated as another game to see what we have as opposed to mimicking what we will see in week 1.

Guys on that O-line were getting absolutely blasted in their physical matchups. You could have had Jerry Rice and John Taylor in their route-running primes and it would have made little difference.

yay another thread about the Oline

Only to the ignorant...the original post actually talked about the Falcons d-line, run defense and special teams.

Guys on that O-line were getting absolutely blasted in their physical matchups. You could have had Jerry Rice and John Taylor in their route-running primes and it would have made little difference.

Pointing out the top WRS not being there, including one completely healthy wasn't to the point that they would have done extremely better in the same circumstances but was to point out that this wasn't the typical preseason week 3 dress rehearsal game that everyone was expecting.

This was another preseason week 1 game where we wanted to see what this person and that person would do in a particular scenario.

Wasn't as surprised by the lackluster play of our offensive line as I was by the lack of pressure on Tannehill when our 1s were going against their 1s. Fins were down to their 3rd LT and we still couldn't get to him? I know Tannehill was running plays that got the ball out of his hand quickly but still.

Bout time someone brought this up. Outside of Clayborn our pass rush looked pretty mediocre. Not as bad as last year but not far from it.

Maybe someone should have told Quinn against Miami's defense we shouldn't tinker with the O-Line to that degree or we should have started Grossman. Hopefully Quinn woke up this morning and said " **** our Offensive Line does SUCK"

The Defense played well and kept us in the game but it was Tannehill let's see how we fare against Philly

Fair points. Ultimately I truly believe the pressure will be fine. I think they where ready for our pressure. You said it, they ran short stuff the majority of the time. I also think an underrated part of that game was the field quality. Which favors the offense. Unless your offense is trying to run the zbs.Lol I could be wrong on that but it sure seemed that way.

To be fair....most of your post was about the OL. Lol

It was the most glaring weakness in the performance of the team. Dave Archer said in his first postgame comment that he didn't expect to see that kind of physical domination of the Falcons O-line. "These are NFL players" he said.

It was the most glaring weakness in the performance of the team. Dave Archer said in his first postgame comment that he didn't expect to see that kind of physical domination of the Falcons O-line. "These are NFL players" he said.

I can appreciate that honestly but this quote means more to me than Archer's right now.

"The emphasis is still there but not a concern yet" - Dan Quinn in regards to OL

Dan Quinn has been a straight shooter so far. Don't see why he would stop now.

Edited by ATLFalcons11

I can appreciate that honestly but this quote means more to me than Archer's right now.

"The emphasis is still there but not a concern yet" - Dan Quinn in regards to OL

Dan Quinn has been a straight shooter so far. Don't see why he would stop now.

No one loves Quinn more than I do. I don't question his truthfulness or dedication to his job.

This is what has me worried some: Football at its purest and most base level is about beating your man one on one. The offensive line didn't just get outplayed last night. They got physically humiliated. That bothers me.

No one loves Quinn more than I do. I don't question his truthfulness or dedication to his job.

This is what has me worried some: Football at its purest and most base level is about beating your man one on one. The offensive line didn't just get outplayed last night. They got physically humiliated. That bothers me.

Bothers me as well, doesn't concern me though....not yet.

Remember we have also seen 2 games where the OL was dominant in pass pro. This was not your typical preseason week 3 game dress rehearsal. This was like week 1 and week 2 where we are still seeing how guys respond to certain situations.

Bout time someone brought this up. Outside of Clayborn our pass rush looked pretty mediocre. Not as bad as last year but not far from it.

Not really. One of the reasons he was getting free was the consistent pressure of others around him. I think he's looking like the sack leader for sure at this point.

Maponga slightly off topic, is flat out impressing me. And Starr has come a long way.

I respect Gritz responses....this is just stupid.

When have you heard Matt Ryan complain?

Gritz and I go way back on these boards sorry if you don't understand humor but seriously I'm sure after last year and last night he's not thrilled with his O-line right now.

The panic on these boards are comical. A functional D which we seem to have and Ryan picking his spots will be enough early on to keep us in games until the ZBS oline comes together. It was 7-6 when the basic starters were in not 30-0 folks. Can't even say that Quinn went by the script as he was constantly moving folks in and out. Julio played 1 snap. Ryan a few series...

It's funny that when someone correctly points out a horrible performance by a unit on the team many others say that you're panicking.

It was a really bad outing by the offensive line.

The panic on these boards are comical. A functional D which we seem to have and Ryan picking his spots will be enough early on to keep us in games until the ZBS oline comes together. It was 7-6 when the basic starters were in not 30-0 folks. Can't even say that Quinn went by the script as he was constantly moving folks in and out. Julio played 1 snap. Ryan a few series...

There.

I saved you an entire day's worth of posting. No thanks necessary.

Not saying that the oline wasn't hot garbage but it went exactly how I expected. We were moving guys in and out and still don't have our 5 core players and were playing the toughest Dline in the league.

If the oline looks like crap week 3/4 then I'll be worried.