I Hope The Stone At Lg Experiment Is Over

atlGM

I think the FO wanted to Find a way to get him and hawley on the field at that same time. AT Tennessee stones biggest weakness was his athleticism a trait that is more than necessary at The LG Position. I think our best bet will be to put asomoah at LG even if he isn't if his strength Isn't run blocking.

Stone has great potential as a Center in this league but highly doubt he'll ever be a good LG.

It could be a coincidence but the times stone and hawley were on the field at the same time he looked like a totally different player. I'll have to go back and check but I'm almost positive all the times stone got raped this preseason was when Person was in at center calling the protections.

Maybe,I just think we were finally going against a legit D-line and got exposed

It could be a coincidence but the times stone and hawley were on the field at the same time he looked like a totally different player. I'll have to go back and check but I'm almost positive all the times stone got raped this preseason was when Person was in at center calling the protections.

The whole line looks bad when person plays center because person has no experience playing center

There was nothing magical about the protection calls. Unfortunately he was repeatedly being whipped one on one by #90.

People are knocking it, but Person starting at Center was absolutely the biggest reason the OL got stomped so badly. They still wouldn't have done great with Hawley out there imo, but it would have been significantly better. He calls by far the best protections of our OL and they look so much different as a unit with him there. It's about trust and chemistry. Wouldn't be surprised to see Stone still at LG with Hawley at center, then maybe Asamoah at RG after all (though Chester will likely start). Asamoah got looks with Hawley and Schraeder for a reason last night.

People are knocking it, but Person starting at Center was absolutely the biggest reason the OL got stomped so badly. They still wouldn't have done great with Hawley out there imo, but it would have been significantly better. He calls by far the best protections of our OL and they look so much different as a unit with him there. It's about trust and chemistry. Wouldn't be surprised to see Stone still at LG with Hawley at center, then maybe Asamoah at RG after all (though Chester will likely start). Asamoah got looks with Hawley and Schraeder for a reason last night.

This! Clearly the coaches were looking at groupings. Hawley will start against the Eagles.

I had concerns when I saw that Persons was starting... My concerns then grew into fear as the first half progresses. However, I feel like this coaching staff was tinkering with combinations the more I watched. These are some reasons why:

1. Play calling was super vanilla on offense

2. Persons is not 1st or 2nd center

3. Hawley came in the game later to play with Asomoah and Schrader

It just feels like we're playing chess or cat and mouse by not showing anything we really want to do in preseason

I agree.

I really want to see Asa and Chester in there at Guard with Hawley at Center and of curse our Tackles stay as is.

I think that's our best OL lineup. I think Stone would be a phenomenal backup to Center and Guard.

I'm honestly at a loss for words. naturally I want to scream fire mike smith.

stone needs to be on the bench talking fishing with kroy.

I swear to goodness if stone is starting day 1 I will move to Canada and never be a fan of this team, forever

I'm honestly at a loss for words. naturally I want to scream fire mike smith.

stone needs to be on the bench talking fishing with kroy.

I swear to goodness if stone is starting day 1 I will move to Canada and never be a fan of this team, forever

Please can I hold you accountable for this statement ? Would you seriously and hopefully do it ?

Hawley is covering Stone's weakness, clear and obvious. And this is not a dig at R_The_Gimp. Being totally serious.

No we need an offensive line period---

--- instead of an offensive line ON their period!

Fixed.

On a more serious note, we had people playing out of position (experiment?), and learning a new blocking scheme. But Stone and Person were not getting whipped because of scheme failures: they were just getting a behind-the-woodshed whuppin' on every single play.

No cause to panic.

I do question the wisdom of experimenting with the o-line combinations:

1) against probably the best defensive line in football, and

2) with Matt Ryan's mauling being the result of those experiments.

That was idiotic.