I Think We're Looking At This All Wrong

shockerfalcon

Typically the 3rd preseason game is considered a dress rehearsal for the season opener, however Quinn isn't your typical coach. Taking into consideration who started and who got a lot of reps I think possibly this game was less a dress rehearsal and more a final exam of sorts for certain players.

It would explain the decision to start Person, or sit julio, why there were so many early substitutions, why Renfree didn't play at all. First cuts are just around the corner and this may have been the last chance some of these guys (I'm looking at you Yates) had to sway the coaches minds.

Also consider no team has tape on Quinn as a head coach or Kyle with this offense that is a huge advantage to start the season with. Sure we looked bad and there is cause for concern (especially with the O line) but it might not be as bad as some think.

Just some points to ponder

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I said the same thing in a post earlier when talking to g-dawg. I think Quinn may have put players out there he wanted final looks from in certain positions to see if they can make the cut. Honestly, that would be a smart move for a rookie HC who is getting a feel for the players in game-time situations to do. I would rather that stuff be figured out before the regular season. Maybe week 4 of preseason will be our "dress rehearsal" and Quinn will play to what he feels are the players "strengths" as he's been saying all offseason.

That game was just another in a LONG, LONG line of Falcon disappointment.

Just an eye opener as to how Horrific the NCAA Div.III O line really is.

No way to sugar coat it. It IS what it is.

Pathetic.

Yeah, my hunch is that the Falcons have shown almost NOTHING of their playbook and arsenal that will be unleashed week 1 of the season.

Waiting till it counts to let the bullets fly.

You're the worst flopper on these boards...we're great one week, awful the next. Like clockwork. I want to be surprised.

Anyways, yeah, anyone who couldn't see this was being treated like a standard preseason game but with more playtime for certain starters wasn't watching at all. The OL was being put in for combinations, it's that simple. There's a reason Hawley didn't come out until Asamoah did and Schraeder stayed in...the RG competition isn't set for them yet. Oh, and anyone thinking we legitimately start Person at center over Hawley or Stone is flat out dumb. The chemistry between Stone and Hawley is so much better, and it looked better between Hawley and Asamoah as well. This was all about chemistry on the line.

Rather, lines. On defense, while they still did great, we were running a lot of different combinations again. Tyson Jackson lined up next to Babs, or next to Clayborn, Schofield was getting a ton of looks at LE (unless it was SAM and I got mixed up a couple times). And he looked really good rushing from there tbh. Biermann was paired with several different DL, and lined up on the left side of the formation an awful lot. Didn't look all that good but he had a couple plays. Clearly just trying to see how his chemistry with other people on the starting DL is. We also ran a ton of stunts, especially with Beasley, more than I expect us to ever run in a real game. It felt like it was testing what Beasley was comfortable with, as well as to get him more snaps rushing from inside (where I think he struggled, not exactly his strong suit). Better to get that out of the way now though. Felt like an evaluation on all fronts.

Also, Yates is cut. Period. This was his last chance to stand out. Either Quinn was a liar when he said Renfree needs more snaps or he wanted to give Yates a shot at not being eliminated from competition...I don't feel like Quinn is a liar. If Yates isn't cut by the end of preseason (assuming he isn't cut this week, or doesn't have a phenomenal week 4) I'll be very surprised.

Taking into consideration who started and who got a lot of reps I think possibly this game was less a dress rehearsal and more a final exam of sorts for certain players.

This I agree with. Last night wasn’t a typical scripted "dress rehearsal" type game. This was very much a competition and evaluation.

Edited by FentayeJones

I mentioned briefly last night. This was a tryout...not a dress rehearsal. Seattle has at times done something similar. Ravens do from year to year as well.

I love you brother, but that was our starting oline out there getting pummelled. And "pummelled" is the nice way of putting it.

that's normally the 4th game. Starters usually play an entire half.last night was different

Yep and Quinn had to take Ryan out with over 8 min to go in the 2nd because he was getting killed. His last play was getting sacked not by 1 or 2 but 3 Dolphins. They couldn't even slow down the 2nd string defensive line pathetic just pathetic.

Where's the attitude while the refs were sitting on their whistle and Ryan getting tossed around and pushed to the ground by 3 dolphins our guys AGAIN did nothing /smh

Person instead of Hawley? Every one of them was getting pushed backwards.

Looked to be mainly Person and Stone. The thing about ZBS is that when one person messes up, then it can look like the whole line is at fault sometimes.

That one change at C is more than you are making it out to be.

Remember Person has been terrible at snapping the ball. That could be a mental concern with the QB and the whole OL.

Most of the time Person and Stone are backing up each other, not playing toget her so that's a little different as well.

Hot routes were pretty non existent as well. Because as good as Hankerson is he may not have built that rapport wit Matt like Julio and Roddy.

You get enough hot routes connecting for significant gains and the DL will back off a little bit or get discouraged.

Unless I missed something, starting oline was in, and Matt was pulled to save him from being crucified. Miami has a great dline, but holy ****, it was like Jodie Foster on a pinball table.

Sexy Sadie, Sexy Sadie!

But seriously, think Quinn, A:was trying different combinations on the line and this was NOT a dress rehearsal as much as a last audition and B: He did pull Ryan because he didn't want him dead. I was MUCH more upset about that ridiculous call at the end of the game stating it WAS a fumble,preseason or not,this has to one if the worst blown calls I have ever seen,yes I know it was raining and the outcome really didn't mean anything but the refs and the league still have a job to do and what if Yates scores that go ahead/winning TD and that was the difference in him swaying someone's mind one way or the other