Our Featured Red Zone Target

brown bomber

Atlanta Falcons

It should be Julio Jones, every single time. However, Jones scored a pedestrian-like six touchdowns last season, and he's sure to draw added intention in scoring situations. Watch out for tight end Jacob Tamme emerging as a legitimate red zone target if quarterback Matt Ryan doesn't want to force the ball to Jones. Nine of Tamme's 10 career touchdowns have come in the red zone. Ryan could spread it around to numerous targets, but Jones is the first option. -- Vaughn McClure

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/175970/who-is-the-featured-red-zone-target-for-all-32-teams-nfl-nation-has-the-answers

Julio's speed is negated when there's only 10 yards in front of him. Then the defense is gonna have someone helping the cb in coverage(press with help over top or bracket coverage). In that scenario Julio will rarely be the best option. BUT HE HELPS DRAW COVERAGE AWAY FROM EVERYONE ELSE. That happened a ton last season.

Julio's speed is negated when there's only 10 yards in front of him. Then the defense is gonna have someone helping the cb in coverage(press with help over top or bracket coverage). In that scenario Julio will rarely be the best option. BUT HE HELPS DRAW COVERAGE AWAY FROM EVERYONE ELSE. That happened a ton last season.

He still has good hands and can jump to the moon and can out muscle just about anyone. The former coaches rarely used him in the red zone. I certainly hope the new ones don't follow suit.

It would seem to me that while Julio is superhuman, his strengths lie in gaining big chunks of yardage on a consistent basis. In the redzone, he is an auto-double and that does shut him down in a tight space (he obviously cuts right through double teams in the open field).

However, it should be easy enough to isolate him on one side of the field, thereby forcing the safety's hand and causing him to shade over to JJ's side. This should open up the drag / 5 yard crossing routes for Roddy/Tamme/Hankerson from the other side of the field. Add a TE pick route going the opposite way and Matt will find someone.

Most every other team doesn't care if their best guy is double covered in the redzone, they still throw it up to him and see if he can make a play. Heck Megatron still gets looks when he's triple covered. I'm so glad we have an OC that will try that now, Koetter got scared of matchups that were still not really out of our favour in the redzone, and took JJ out of the playbook. I'm excited to see what he does this year.

Atlanta Falcons

Devonta Freeman will be the go-to guy in short-yardage situations. Steven Jackson held that role last year, but the new coaching staff got rid of Jackson. Freeman views himself as an every-down back, while rookie Tevin Coleman and veteran Antone Smith are speedy, big-play threats. Although Freeman's only rushing touchdown as a rookie last season was a 31-yard sprint against New Orleans, he should get plenty of opportunities to punch it into the end zone this year. -- Vaughn McClure

A doubled receiver in the redzone is rarely the best option. Matt is going to the single coverage the vast majority of the time in the redzone, it's his game. I'm glad he does it, it's the better odds. Last year we were a top 5 team in terms of scoring TD's in the redzone.

Think people are up in arms because Julio only had 6 TD's last season and blame Koetter cuz frankly he sucked at some things as an OC. But it's more of a function of being double covered in the redzone, Matt preferring the single coverage down there, getting tackled inside the 5 more than usual, and us rarely going deep compensating for Oline injuries and no run game. I expect Julio's TD's and YPC to go up this season.. Thinking 13 TD's or so

A doubled receiver in the redzone is rarely the best option. Matt is going to the single coverage the vast majority of the time in the redzone, it's his game. I'm glad he does it, it's the better odds. Last year we were a top 5 team in terms of scoring TD's in the redzone.

Think people are up in arms because Julio only had 6 TD's last season and blame Koetter cuz frankly he sucked at some things as an OC. But it's more of a function of being double covered in the redzone, Matt preferring the single coverage down there, getting tackled inside the 5 more than usual, and us rarely going deep compensating for Oline injuries and no run game. I expect Julio's TD's and YPC to go up this season.. Thinking 13 TD's or so

True, but at the same time you have to draw up plays that are just about giving your best guy a chance to make a play. Throw JJ some fades and just let him go get it. I still don't understand why we never tried those with him.

True, but at the same time you have to draw up plays that are just about giving your best guy a chance to make a play. Throw JJ some fades and just let him go get it. I still don't understand why we never tried those with him.

Also...if you throw it to your best guy on 1st down....chances are that they won't be ready for it.

Regardless, I can almost guarantee that Julio has double digit touchdowns this season. I'd put money on it.

As he should....he's a beast.

He still has good hands and can jump to the moon and can out muscle just about anyone. The former coaches rarely used him in the red zone. I certainly hope the new ones don't follow suit.

Yep. People talk about him like he's Desean Jackson for some reason...

His relative lack of short yardage production is almost entirely driven by how the offense works and the decisions Matt makes.

LOL...Matt has thrown him two beautiful passes and he flat out drops them. He won't get a redzone pass thrown his way.

Dropping those passes was just the long con, all in preparation for the 2015 season. This season when Hawley lines up at TE defenses are thinking no way in effing h3ll he's getting a look from Matt Ryan, he's had two chances for an easy catch, no way he's getting a third chance in this lifetime. and then BAM!! 6 points, totally worth it.

Dropping those passes was just the long con, all in preparation for the 2015 season. This season when Hawley lines up at TE defenses are thinking no way in effing h3ll he's getting a look from Matt Ryan, he's had two chances for an easy catch, no way he's getting a third chance in this lifetime. and then BAM!! 6 points, totally worth it.

It won't happen now that Dan Quinn's here.