PriMeTiiMe

Comparing the team to Last years team

-1 = Slight Downgrade

0 = No Change

+1 = Slight Upgrade

+2 = Solid Upgrade

+3 = Grady Jackson Sized Upgrade

QB - 0

Matt Ryan is Matt Ryan. I should give this a +3 after an amazing Sexy Rexy signing but I'll keep my emotions in check for now

RB/FB - -1

I think Telvin Coleman is an upgrade at this point over Steven Jackson and thats without even seeing him run the ball once in a game. That being said Jaquizz was a reliable guy that could do everything we needed and Antone Smith is coming off a season ending injury and is now hobbled by another injury. DiMarco is about as average a fullback as one can be. Is Ovie still around? The big question here will be how good Coleman is, If Freeman has improved at all and if Antone can stay healthy.

WR - +1

Julio is going to ball out like always. Roddy if he stops tearing his vag should be a solid possession guy. The real wildcards are Justin Hardy and Leonard Hankerson. I think both will be nice additions to our WR core and upgrades over Harry Douglas. Hester and Weems return as special teams guys at the bottom of the depth chart.

TE - +1

We havent seen much of Tamme or Moeaki but Toilolo looks improved and I think once we get into some real game action Tamme will be quiet an upgrade over what we saw last season.

OT - +1

If Jake Matthews stays healthy and continues to progress theres no reason to think our OTs arent better off than last year with a hobbled Matthews. Schraeder is one of the more underrated players on the team.

OG - +1

We added Chester and Persons both who can be good lineman for our new scheme. Asamoah drops down the depth chart but he still provides valuable depth at an area we have lacked for a longgg time.

C - 0

Hawley and Konz comes back from injury, Stone is still around. Nothing about any of the 3 make me scream out in excitment.

D-Line - +3

I am grouping the D-Line together rather than seperating DEs and DTs simply because as we have seen through 2 games Quinn is using them all over the line and theirs no one really set position for any of them. One thing is for sure, this is a MASSIVE upgrade over what we had. Beasley and Clayborn are nasty when side by side. Babs, Soliai and Jackson all look revived in this scheme. Then you add in young gun DTs Hageman and Jarrett. I can't say this enough..I love our D-line depth.

LB - +2

Worrilow looks like a completely different player in this scheme. Durant and Reed will be awesome as our SAM and WILL. Schoefield can come in and rush the passer from either the LB or D-Line level. Bradford is murdering people every chance he gets. Hopefully Bartu and Starr will also progress under the new scheme.

CBs - 0

We know what Desmond Trufant brings. However Collins is looking like a massive project as we expected, and Adams is mediocre at best when playing outside (I like him as a NB however). I will say Alford looks slightly better than he did last year prior to the injury and Im curious to see how he does once Trufant comes back and QBs start looking towards Alford non stop because Tru has his man locked down. Im also intrigued by Kevin White. Dezmen Southward is terrible. Either move him back to Safety or cut him.

S - +1

William Moore is back (hopefully). Ishmael had a solid year last year and should only get better. Ricardo Allen is the likely day 1 starter at FS and the front office and coaching seem to love him. Godfrey has actually kind of impressed me through the 2 preseason games. Also hear alot about this Therezie kid. I think we should be slightly better off at safety than we were last year.

Special Teams - 0

Not much changes but as I mentioned earlier Bradford has been laying the boom on kickoff coverage though.

Overall Grade - +9

I disagree on the RBs we have got better imo. We're younger and faster

I agree. We could have cut SJax and Quizz and signed two guys off the corner of Ashby and Simpson and gotten better. We might not have a bruiser but so far I like the way Jerome Smith is running the ball. If he can block and catch he needs to make the 53.

-1 = Slight Downgrade

0 = No Change

+1 = Slight Upgrade

+2 = Solid Upgrade

+3 = Grady Jackson Sized Upgrade

QB - +1

Matt Ryan was really good last year. In this scheme he should be great.

RB/FB - 0

Jury is still out on Freeman and Coleman. They should be more productive than Jackson though.

WR - +1

Much more depth but can they stay healthy??

TE - +1

Toilolo was as bad as you can get last year. Anything would be an improvement.

OT - +1

A healthy Jake is key but on paper it's better

OG - 0

Not seeing much improvement but I could be wrong.

C - -1

Hawley not 100% and Person looks terrible at center.

D-Line - +3

This is easily the biggest improvement. Hageman, Beasley, Clayborn, oh my!!

LB - +2

Besides the Oline this was the weakest part of the team. I am so glad we made an effort to clean it up.

CBs - 0

I'm concerned about the lack of quality depth at the position. I don't trust Collins, Southward or King.

S - 0

Is there any doubt Moore will be hurt again for extended time?

Special Teams - 0

Has always been solid.

Overall Grade - +8

One thing that is getting overlooked is all of the defensive starters except three was on the team last year. Only Beasley, Durant and Reed are starters new to the team. All of the offensive starters except two were on the team last year. Only Tamme and Chester are the new to the team. So if anything, there is more depth on the team, the scheme actually fit the players and the culture has changed on the team. Quinn is mostly using players from last year - he is just using them differently.

Yeah how can you say RB and FB got worse when we got rid of Steven Jackson?

Because we also got rid of Rodgers: our only proven all-purpose back. Not one back on our roster has proven capable at picking up a blitz consistently and effectively. I believe until one of the other backs had proven capable of doing so, I believe losing Rodgers was a mistake.

Matt Ryan is gonna have a great year with the emphasis on play action

Play action is only effective if the running game is effective. Through the first two preseason games the line has been mostly ineffective at opening holes.

This is not a complaint or a negative. It is completely normal and expected for a line learning a new scheme to take time to gel. Do not be dismayed if this gelling takes quite some time, perhaps not paying off completely until next season. If they come together more quickly, then all the better.

Play action is only effective if the running game is effective. Through the first two preseason games the line has been mostly ineffective at opening holes.

This is not a complaint or a negative. It is completely normal and expected for a line learning a new scheme to take time to gel. Do not be dismayed if this gelling takes quite some time, perhaps not paying off completely until next season. If they come together more quickly, then all the better.

I looked at both games and their was running lanes the RBs in the game was just slow and inexperienced to hit it Freeman and Coleman are going to be fine you overreacting

One thing that is getting overlooked is all of the defensive starters except three was on the team last year. Only Beasley, Durant and Reed are starters new to the team. All of the offensive starters except two were on the team last year. Only Tamme and Chester are the new to the team. So if anything, there is more depth on the team, the scheme actually fit the players and the culture has changed on the team. Quinn is mostly using players from last year - he is just using them differently.

Clayborn and Allen

Re-read what I wrote. Of all of the current defensive starters - they were all on the team last season with the exception of Beasley, Durant, and Reed. Clayborn has not started - hes been coming in sub packages. And yes Allen was on the practice squaud but he was still part of the team - he was still getting a check every week from the Atlanta Falcons.

The Oline only seems marginally better. I stll haven't seen any good running lanes created by the starters. Pass protection looks better.

As hilarious(ly sad) as it is, I think the game of Madden I played last night was telling for our run game (Eagles vs. Falcons) ... ended up with 75 rush yards for the game, couldn't find a hole to save my life.