Espn: Falcons Lb Vic Beasley A Big Thumbs-Up So Far

Monday, August 24, 2015
Falcons LB Vic Beasley a big thumbs-up so far

By Vaughn McClure

gettyimages-484059668_r3593_576x324_16-9

Falcons rookie Vic Beasley is putting on an impressive display on defense through two preseason games.

A quick observation of first-round pick Vic Beasley and how he played through training and two preseason games:

Beasley has been dominant, to say the least, over the last three weeks. In practice, his tremendous speed off the edge is evident daily, and his battles with left tackle Jake Matthews have been quite a spectacle. Defensive line coach Bryan Cox said he was pleasantly surprised by the rookie's toughness, something Cox didn't necessarily see from Beasley coming out Clemson.

Then when the lights came on against the Tennessee Titans and the New York Jets, Beasley showed his full arsenal while rushing from both sides. Against the Jets, Beasley manhandled former first-round pick and three-time Pro Bowl left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, bull-rushing Ferguson back into quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick to create a sack for teammate Adrian Clayborn. In the same game, Beasley pulled off a devastating spin move against Ferguson on third-down that caused an incompletion by Fitzpatrick. Beasley looked unstoppable rushing alongside Clayborn on the right side, with both batting down passes while running twists rushes together.

Against the Titans, Beasley fought off a block from left tackle Taylor Lewan to chase down running back Bishop Sankey. His ability to play the run was the biggest question mark surrounding him coming to Atlanta. The early indication is he's ready to be an every-down player, but his primary focus is being the dominant pass-rusher the Falcons expect him to be. Beasley's goal is double-digit sacks in his first season.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been grinning like an idiot showing people at work that clip of Beasley's bull rush on Brick. Freaking amazing. Bona fide blue chip offensive tackle and Beasley freaking ate his lunch not once, but twice. Imagine the improvement after a full year in the league with NFL-caliber coaching and conditioning. Sky's the limit!

You know, I was very excited about drafting Beasley, but will admit to being pretty "meh" about our free agent acquisitions on the defensive line. Man, Clayborn is proving me wrong. Really hope he stays healthy - guy deserves a break and I'd like to see him pounding QBs in the division this season!

I've been pretty impressed with the fact that he's avoided being locked up and getting stuck on blocks. He's worked outside, inside, and he had a **** of a bullrush on Ferguson the other night.

Kid is a natural!

The part you mention about how so far, he's been able to avoid getting stuck on blocks is important. With his size that's one legitimate concern. Usually a guy his size would have issues getting off blocks to do what he needs to do. If he can maintain these expectations he's going to be a huge asset on defense. If he can bring it in the run game too, and force the coaches to use him on early downs, we could be looking at the early stages of a rookie of the year campaign. I haven't studied any other candidates really yet, as it's only the preseason. I wonder who is going to be his main competition. In New York I could see Leonard Williams being a candidate. Especially with the added publicity and good supporting cast. Anybody know who the early front runners for D.R.O.Y are? Edited by Atlfanstckndenver

I've been grinning like an idiot showing people at work that clip of Beasley's bull rush on Brick. Freaking amazing. Bona fide blue chip offensive tackle and Beasley freaking ate his lunch not once, but twice. Imagine the improvement after a full year in the league with NFL-caliber coaching and conditioning. Sky's the limit!

You know, I was very excited about drafting Beasley, but will admit to being pretty "meh" about our free agent acquisitions on the defensive line. Man, Clayborn is proving me wrong. Really hope he stays healthy - guy deserves a break and I'd like to see him pounding QBs in the division this season!

Yep, Beasley will be a beast in due time.

As for Clayborn, there were never questions about his ability to play the game, just his ability to stay on the field so he can play the game. If he stays healthy, then he will be a force.

The one concern I have: I had no idea how small he looked on the field. I missed the first preseason game. He looked very small when I first saw him standing across from the Jets line. That said, he has looked good so far.

Here is a summary of my mental wandering as I watched him on Friday: I wonder if teams might try to run right at him on 3rd and 5? Perhaps Clayborn's presence on his shoulder can make that a really bad plan for opponents? If Clayborn continues to look like this, Beasley will be impossible to deal with.

My initial thought is that Clayborn is more important to the overall defense than Beasley. With the push we were getting inside last season, I think Beasley is a puzzle many NFL teams could solve by providing extra help. Going into this week's game, I really didn't know who Clayborn was. From my eye test, I turned on the game to watch Beasley. In the end, I was very impressed with Beasley, but Clayborn stole the show for me.

So from here, the next thought I had was: "How much better is Babs with the presence of Clayborn and Beasley to his right? The final thought: "Anyone we put on the left end is going to have a chance with those other three on the field.

In the end, I think our front 7 stands to be average at the very worse. Because they were a complete liability last season, that is great. On the upside, they could be a truly special unit given some time to gel.

Monday, August 24, 2015

Falcons LB Vic Beasley a big thumbs-up so far

By Vaughn McClure

gettyimages-484059668_r3593_576x324_16-9

Falcons rookie Vic Beasley is putting on an impressive display on defense through two preseason games.

A quick observation of first-round pick Vic Beasley and how he played through training and two preseason games:

Beasley has been dominant, to say the least, over the last three weeks. In practice, his tremendous speed off the edge is evident daily, and his battles with left tackle Jake Matthews have been quite a spectacle. Defensive line coach Bryan Cox said he was pleasantly surprised by the rookie's toughness, something Cox didn't necessarily see from Beasley coming out Clemson.

Then when the lights came on against the Tennessee Titans and the New York Jets, Beasley showed his full arsenal while rushing from both sides. Against the Jets, Beasley manhandled former first-round pick and three-time Pro Bowl left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, bull-rushing Ferguson back into quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick to create a sack for teammate Adrian Clayborn. In the same game, Beasley pulled off a devastating spin move against Ferguson on third-down that caused an incompletion by Fitzpatrick. Beasley looked unstoppable rushing alongside Clayborn on the right side, with both batting down passes while running twists rushes together.

Against the Titans, Beasley fought off a block from left tackle Taylor Lewan to chase down running back Bishop Sankey. His ability to play the run was the biggest question mark surrounding him coming to Atlanta. The early indication is he's ready to be an every-down player, but his primary focus is being the dominant pass-rusher the Falcons expect him to be. Beasley's goal is double-digit sacks in his first season.

I think this is the most overlooked thing.

We've now seen that Beasley is looking like the real deal. And he's been having back and forths with Matthews and that can only make BOTH of them better.

I love it.

I must admit, watching Vic and Clay stunt is much nicer than watching Babs and Soliai stunt.

That being said, I'm glad Vic's getting the praise he deserves, and his lack of flashy stats isn't getting in the way.

This is whats crazy ... This is exactly what smitty was talking about ... How pressure is the key ... Clayborn had pressures that affected the QB .

The difference if we are getting true pressure but with Smitty he would tell us this but we saw zero results

The one concern I have: I had no idea how small he looked on the field. I missed the first preseason game. He looked very small when I first saw him standing across from the Jets line. That said, he has looked good so far.

Here is a summary of my mental wandering as I watched him on Friday: I wonder if teams might try to run right at him on 3rd and 5? Perhaps Clayborn's presence on his shoulder can make that a really bad plan for opponents? If Clayborn continues to look like this, Beasley will be impossible to deal with.

My initial thought is that Clayborn is more important to the overall defense than Beasley. With the push we were getting inside last season, I think Beasley is a puzzle many NFL teams could solve by providing extra help. Going into this week's game, I really didn't know who Clayborn was. From my eye test, I turned on the game to watch Beasley. In the end, I was very impressed with Beasley, but Clayborn stole the show for me.

So from here, the next thought I had was: "How much better is Babs with the presence of Clayborn and Beasley to his right? The final thought: "Anyone we put on the left end is going to have a chance with those other three on the field.

In the end, I think our front 7 stands to be average at the very worse. Because they were a complete liability last season, that is great. On the upside, they could be a truly special unit given some time to gel.

Clayborn looked really good as well, but Beasley helped him get that sack on Fitz.

I think they both can potentially be a terror together on opposing QBs.

that's also running towards Durant

This is whats crazy ... This is exactly what smitty was talking about ... How pressure is the key ... Clayborn had pressures that affected the QB .

The difference if we are getting true pressure but with Smitty he would tell us this but we saw zero results

Smitty's plan last year seemed to be to get talent in the middle to help let the D-Ends "eat". Now we are seeing the talented edge rusher (Beasley) who is helping the interior rushers "eat".

Speed to Power just sayin.

Wasn't there some idiot on here the other day with a thread saying he saw absolutely nothing in Beasley man some of our fans really.

I know that there was at least one vocal critic who said we overdrafted him...among other things.

Who knows where he goes from here but he's certainly been impressive in the limited action we've seen. And thankfully he isn't the only one. Adrian Clayborn is gonna cost us some $$$ come February...