Audio Books

Door Gunner

I have an Audible account I've been meaning to close for the past 2 years, but keep forgetting. Every time I go to close it, there's a ton of unused credits so I just download more stuff and forget to cancel the subscription again.

I love a good audio-book for a road trip or zoning out on the beach. I listen to a lot of detective novels like Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series, or crappy military thrillers like Tom Clancy-- the last few are narrated by Lou Diamond Phillips, which is strange-- or Mark Greaney (his Grey Man series is excellent, actually), or non-fiction history books.

I posted a thread similar to this a while back looking for recommendations and Shot told me to get some Vietnam memoir narrated by Brian Cranston called "The Things We Carried". It was pretty disappointing overall- it's written by a vet, but most of the stories are fictional and a little surreal. It was interesting, but not quite what I expected.

Got a copy of A People's History of the United States sitting on a shelf 10 feet away from me right now. It's an amazing and eye-opening book, and well-researched, but Zinn clearly has an agenda and you should bear that in mind when reading/listening to it (as you should with any history).

I have an Audible account I've been meaning to close for the past 2 years, but keep forgetting. Every time I go to close it, there's a ton of unused credits so I just download more stuff and forget to cancel the subscription again.

I love a good audio-book for a road trip or zoning out on the beach. I listen to a lot of detective novels like Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series, or crappy military thrillers like Tom Clancy-- the last few are narrated by Lou Diamond Phillips, which is strange-- or Mark Greaney (his Grey Man series is excellent, actually), or non-fiction history books.

I posted a thread similar to this a while back looking for recommendations and Shot told me to get some Vietnam memoir narrated by Brian Cranston called "The Things We Carried". It was pretty disappointing overall- it's written by a vet, but most of the stories are fictional and a little surreal. It was interesting, but not quite what I expected.

Got a copy of A People's History of the United States sitting on a shelf 10 feet away from me right now. It's an amazing and eye-opening book, and well-researched, but Zinn clearly has an agenda and you should bear that in mind when reading/listening to it (as you should with any history).

The Bosch series are fun reads. Did you watch the season they made on Amazon Prime?

Nah, haven't checked it out yet. Got an Amazon Fire stick sitting around here somewhere, but we usually just stick to the Chromecast.

I watched the pilot episode so far. It was decent. I do really like the guy they cast to play the part though. My better casting than Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher.

The Bosch series are fun reads. Did you watch the season they made on Amazon Prime?

Titus Welliver was perfectly cast for that show. I watched the season already and thought it was pretty great. I'm a big fan of audio books, I until recently had a long commute for the past eight years, and many, many books kept me sane on those daily drives.

Enjoy

http://audiobookbay.co/

Don't know if anyone else likes them, but I thought I would make a thread to discuss them.

I'm currently listening to A peoples History of the United states. By Howard Zinn. Its narrated by Matt Damon.

Awesome book. Definitely stuff they don't teach in school. I'm giving it 5 stars.

Thanks for the tip. I asked my very special Swedish friend if he had a copy I could borrow and luckily he had an old one (read by Zinn himself).

I didn't realize how much a repulsive SoB Christopher Colombus was.

Thanks for the tip. I asked my very special Swedish friend if he had a copy I could borrow and luckily he had an old one (read by Zinn himself).

I didn't realize how much a repulsive SoB Christopher Colombus was.

Columbus was a ******* psycho. He encounters the Taino and literally the first thing he thinks is, "These would make good slaves. Let's hold them ransom for gold and rape the women."

I use My sister-in-laws Audible. She doesn't use the credits often enough so she told me to use them. I also use Georgia Download Destination. It hooks me up with the GA Library system. It's free and all I needed was my Library card. I did this book through it. No late fee cuz it automatically turns them in when your time is up. You can get books for E-readers too.

It is really hard for me to listen to someone else read a book to me, I'm distracted way too easily. I've listened to 4 audiobooks, and only 1 of them captivated me because it was read by Bryan Cranston, and I could listen to him read my obituary. The other 3 I would lose 15-20 minutes at a time because my mind would start wandering or I would get really into cooking or focused on what I was doing at work. I was constantly rewinding to start back at the last-remembered point and finally just decided that audiobooks are not my bag. I like to get completely immersed in a story, and in order to do that I have to be the one reading it.

Edited by The Shotfather

How many "Christopher Columbus" high schools or other institutions in the USA? Maybe it would be time to rename them...

Considering the District of Columbia and at least 2 state capitals named after him, probably not happening anytime soon. I'm down to change Columbus Day to Native American History Day or something like that, though. But then these greasy dagos like, um, Dago, will get their panties in a bunch. And make no mistake- Italian men do wear panties.

Just finished A peoples History of the United states today. Not sure witch book I will listen to next. I have two fiction and one nonfiction to choose from. Fools Assassin by Robin Hobbs, End Game by John Gilstrap, and The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander. Anyone ever read or listen to any of these?

Nice recommend on We're Alive Brehus, I've been digging the **** out of it so far. This is the first time I've listened to this sort of podcast and I love the idea of it.

I really liked the show it was something good to listen to during rush hour. The one of main stars of We're Alive is played by Jim Gleason

Edited by Brehus

Yeah it's a great time burner. You don't have to devote an excessive amount of time or attention to it, but I weirdly found myself getting super invested in the characters.

The voice acting isn't the greatest thing in the world, but it's definitely good enough to make me keep listening to it, and add in the fact that the actual narration is great and the production values with all the background noise and chaos is fantastic and I'm in. I listened to the first 6 episodes at work today, and will probably burn through at least that many more over the weekend during my workout and running.

Do you know of any more podcasts that are in this same style? I'd love to get into more stuff like this.

Yeah it's a great time burner. You don't have to devote an excessive amount of time or attention to it, but I weirdly found myself getting super invested in the characters.

The voice acting isn't the greatest thing in the world, but it's definitely good enough to make me keep listening to it, and add in the fact that the actual narration is great and the production values with all the background noise and chaos is fantastic and I'm in. I listened to the first 6 episodes at work today, and will probably burn through at least that many more over the weekend during my workout and running.

Do you know of any more podcasts that are in this same style? I'd love to get into more stuff like this.

Unfortunately I have not found any other audio dramas I would recommend

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...