Race Baiting 101

Peter Norman would have also worn a black glove in protest but Carlos and Smith left the gloves in the olympic village and they could only come up with two gloves, he suggested they each wear one of them. If you notice in the picture he did support them by wearing the olympic project for human rights button.

ophrbutton.gif

And Australia reprimanded and raked him over the coals for it.....

Probably because they didn't want any attention drawn to them considering what they were doing to aborigines.

Well we are talking about a country who had strict limits on what skin colors they allowed to immigrate as late as the 1970s but what there really squeamish about over there isn't blacks so much as Asians.

I'm talking about stuff like the Stolen Generations.

And while that was more prevalent in the late 19th century most people don't realize they were still stealing kids into the 60s. Honestly a guy like Trump wouldnt even make waves over there. They've long since repealed their natural born citizen laws (albeit there's were never as strong as ours)

Is this guy the new John Oliver? It's funny how you guys proclaim brilliance when someone says something that you should already know.

The fact that there's still such a thing as "race" in this world is unbelievable to me.

Race is a biological fiction.

I haven't yet watched this video or John Oliver. I mentioned the latter yesterday, and Troutworth told me it offers great investigative journalism. Just based on the youtubes I've seen posted around the Internet, it seems like Oliver mostly says stuff I'm already aware of and agree with. I like Vice because they investigate and expose a lot of stuff I don't know about that doesn't get covered much in the media. I'm also not a big fan of political humor. I stopped watching the Daily Show shortly after Craig Kilborn left and Jon Stewart took over.

Is this guy the new John Oliver? It's funny how you guys proclaim brilliance when someone says something that you should already know.

The fact that there's still such a thing as "race" in this world is unbelievable to me.

See? Billy Ocean gets it, I don't know why everybody else doesn't get it.

Because:

1) Brilliance isn't always saying something new. Sometimes it's saying something in a unique or particularly persuasive manner.

2) Despite the fact that you think everyone should already know these things, many people don't. There is nothing wrong with applauding the effective communication of important information or issues.

3) It's one thing to know something. It's another to share it with your friends and loved ones. But it's quite another to put yourself out there to say it publicly. It's easy in the internet age to forget how important it is to actually share ideas beyond the confines of your personal universe.

4) Not all of us are as self-realized as you seem to be. While it can be very dangerous in excess, or without skepticisim, it is important to ocassionally receive affirmation that yes, the things we think are important, and other people agree.

5) Like Billy Ocean, I stopped watching the Daily Show after Kilborn left. For about two years. Then I realized how much funnier it was with Jon Stewart, while also being more insightful and real.

6) Because what you are saying teeters dangerously close to another common argument. It wasn't made by you here, but I saw it in another thread recently and this reminded me of it. That argument is, "the real problem is people talking about this stuff. If they'd just stop, we'd actually get something done." You see it applied all the time, to race, to climate, to poverty, etc. And it's ******** each and every time. Yes, action is necessary, and yes, sometimes words may slow action. But silence stops it cold. So it's important to reinforce truths or expose problems even though they may be so fundamental that everyone should already know them and we should already have fixed them, like you said.