Psl Sales Phase 3 For Season Ticket Holders

Capitalist

The Phase 3 relocation of season ticket holders started Monday. The other thread was getting a bit long, feel free to post PSL stories here to keep the forum less cluttered.

Interesting insight/experience, as posted to:

https://www.facebook.com/Atlantafalconspsl

(The sales pace statement sounds like "fluff" to me. Doubt they are selling faster than Dallas or San Fran.)

The current STH get first choice by levels...club, 100s, 200s, 300s.

If you are a current 100 level STH, you can move wherever you want on the same level at the new stadium. If those seats you want to change to are where a current STH has been placed, you must wait until they agree to purchase them or not before you are officially moved to your new choice.

As current 200 level STH in the Dome, we were shown our section in the new stadium. Because ALL the current 100 level STH had already said yes/no to the new stadium, we were able to move to the 100 level IF WE WANTED. We wanted too, but chose to stay in the 200 level.

So in a way, the current 300 level STH have the best option because they have the choice to a) stay in the 300s, B) move to the 200s or c) move to the 100s. All at various PSL prices.

We were told that all the seats in the new stadium will have a PSL and they will all be sold. They plan to sale out every seat by opening day. According to them, at the current rate, the new stadium will be sold out within a year.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the Chargers can't fund a stadium like the 49ers: the PSL issue

SAN DIEGO -- Mark Fabiani says it’s the most asked question he receives from fans of the San Diego Chargers looking for a new stadium built for the team in this city.

Why can’t the Chargers put together a financing plan similar to that of the $1.3 billion Levi’s Stadium recently completed by the San Francisco 49ers? Both teams are located in California, and the 49ers successfully found a way to skirt around the cumbersome legal hurdles to raising tax money to help subsidize an NFL stadium.

The 49ers used personal seat licenses, or PSLs, as a major funding source for the stadium project. A tool used to help fund NFL stadiums, PSLs are one-time fees for the right to buy season tickets in a specific seat for the length of a team’s stadium lease. PSLs can be transferred or sold to family members or other parties.

Fabiani, special council to Chargers president Dean Spanos and the team’s point person on the stadium issue, wishes the answer was as easy as duplicating San Francisco’s financing plan for Levi’s Stadium. However, he said the Chargers do not have enough local corporate support for that type of financing plan to pencil out in San Diego, according to studies performed by consultants for the Chargers.

Fabiani also noted the San Diego Padres tried to sell PSLs when they opened Petco Park and did not do very well.

“Everyone in San Diego for as long as the Chargers have been here have been used to simply paying for a ticket,” he said. “And to then ask that same person to pay a fee up front in order to have a right to buy a ticket, our consultants who have studied this say there’s very little chance with that approach in San Diego.”

Fabiani pointed to PSL sales for stadiums in Minnesota and Atlanta as being dramatically lower than what the 49ers achieved in Santa Clara. And Fabiani said San Diego’s projected PSL sales would be lower than Minnesota and Atlanta, because those two stadium projects are located in the biggest cities in their respective states.

“San Diego is obviously not either the biggest or the most important city in California,” Fabiani said. “The number of corporate headquarters that exist in San Diego is relatively small. Our support is based on individual fans as opposed to major corporations that are willing to pay a lot of money up front for PSLs or for suites.”

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, PSLs are estimated to bring in $312 million for Levi’s Stadium, much less than the projected $500 million.

According to Sports Business Daily, the New York Jets and New York Giants are projected to generate a combined $725 million in PSLs to help pay for the $1.6 billion MetLife Stadium, while the Dallas Cowboys are projected to generate $650 million to help cover total costs of the $1.2 billion AT&T Stadium.

By comparison, teams in smaller markets like Minnesota and Atlanta are targeting PSL sales closer to $100 million or less to cover costs for new stadiums in those cities.

“It’s just a different market,” Fabiani said about San Diego. “I’m not complaining about our market. It’s a great market and we’re happy to be here. We’re not raising this issue affirmatively. But when people ask the question, that is the answer.”

I can vouch for the red in the upper bowl

I I can vouch for the red in the upper bowl is current.

Dang, i was hoping that wasn't accurate. My seats are in 322, row 11. i won't be able to pay $4k in PSL fees to then pay $1900 for my two seats. If i had $6000 to spend on tix, i would have been sitting lower to begin with.

Seating chart is accurate...

Great article about PSL's, but I am not sure about the numbers... The Falcons are well past 100 million in PSL sales... But I don't think they will reach Dallas or San Fran numbers... When was that article written?

I am curious how many people will drop all the back to the $500 PSL's just to get in the building... I bet they sell out...

Seating chart is accurate...

Great article about PSL's, but I am not sure about the numbers... The Falcons are well past 100 million in PSL sales... But I don't think they will reach Dallas or San Fran numbers... When was that article written?

I am curious how many people will drop all the back to the $500 PSL's just to get in the building... I bet they sell out...

Thats what I am thinking there will be a surge on the cheapest PSL's.

Article was from 1/21/15, main thing I gathered from it was the fact the Niners haven't sold out PSL's yet, or hadn't by 1/21/15.

Thats what I am thinking there will be a surge on the cheapest PSL's.

Article was from 1/21/15, main thing I gathered from it was the fact the Niners haven't sold out PSL's yet, or hadn't by 1/21/15.

The 49ers sold all of their PSLs leading up to their opening season in the new stadium... Not to say some aren't up for re-sale, but the team sold all of their allocated PSLs...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11162141/san-francisco-49ers-sell-season-tickets-first-season-levi-stadium

Edited by Leggggggo

Looking at the 300's a few observations. In the Dome there were only 4 sections on each side of the field priced as upper prime now there are six. They have changed the price for the Dome sections 350, 345, 319, and 324 from upper sideline to upper prime. Looking at the section maps that are out there for the new stadium it appears there is a price break row 20 and above. In the Dome it was row 14 and above. I think even some folks in the 300's will experience sticker shock.

I had my meeting today. I wasn't crazy about my comparable seat, and I would want to move up if I decided to buy. I don't think I will be buying, though. It's just such a big investment for something that has way too many variables at play. First of all, the "other events" are nothing to write home about. It's a couple college football games, some concerts, and motocross and monster trucks. I can't see the concerts, motocross, or monster truck events being tickets to make money on. Even huge acts like the Rolling Stones would take a while to sell out at such a large venue.

I also don't buy that the only way to attend a game will be through PSL's. This is Atlanta. There's no way they will sell all PSL's - at least not at their current prices. I think I'll be going to a select few games starting in 2017. Maybe I'll send my kid to college with the savings or something lame like that...

I had my meeting today. I wasn't crazy about my comparable seat, and I would want to move up if I decided to buy. I don't think I will be buying, though. It's just such a big investment for something that has way too many variables at play. First of all, the "other events" are nothing to write home about. It's a couple college football games, some concerts, and motocross and monster trucks. I can't see the concerts, motocross, or monster truck events being tickets to make money on. Even huge acts like the Rolling Stones would take a while to sell out at such a large venue.

I also don't buy that the only way to attend a game will be through PSL's. This is Atlanta. There's no way they will sell all PSL's - at least not at their current prices. I think I'll be going to a select few games starting in 2017. Maybe I'll send my kid to college with the savings or something lame like that...

what were your comparables like that you did not care for?

Unfortunately, it was no brainer decision for me. Part of me was glad they came out with such high prices. It made my decision to walk away after 18 years much easier. My 40 yard line seats would have been $45k per seat PSL. Moving to the corner and still paying $5.5k was in no way appealing. I will now have my "revenge" for all the times I got stuck trying to get rid of tix or selling below Face Value on stubhub. I'm using the extra money to go to away games. Heading to Dallas in September. I'll be buying one of the 12,000 seats currently up for sale from those Dallas PSL suckers.

I wonder if Arthur Blank ever read the following work by English poet Percy Bysshe Shelley. It somehow seems apt for New Atlanta Stadium:

- - - - - - - - - - -

Ozymandias

I met a traveler from an antique land

Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone

Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,

Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,

And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,

Tell that its sculptor well those passions read

Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,

The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:

And on the pedestal these words appear:

'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare

The lone and level sands stretch far away.

what were your comparables like that you did not care for?

I'm currently in row 7 of sections 251/ The comparabale seats were row 16 (9 rows back!) and further from the aisle than I currently am. But I had already decided that if I bought a PSL, I'd move up. I was looking at 200 level corner seats. Honestly, as PSL's go and for those seats, I found them to be quite reasonable. $2,500/seat for the PSL and $115/ticket. I just can't justify spending that kind of money on tickets. I'm a younger guy with a 16 month old son and probably more kids in the near future. Too many unknowns out there to make that kind of financial committment.

The 49ers sold all of their PSLs leading up to their opening season in the new stadium... Not to say some aren't up for re-sale, but the team sold all of their allocated PSLs...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11162141/san-francisco-49ers-sell-season-tickets-first-season-levi-stadium

All I was going on was the projected $500 million that was actually $312 million which means did they drop prices? because it still sounds like they also had an every seat is a PSL seat rule.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, PSLs are estimated to bring in $312 million for Levi’s Stadium, much less than the projected $500 million.

Phenomenal achievement if they did sell out, even if there are ones on secondary market. As I said before I hope they do sellout here in Atlanta, and its packed each game with Falcons fans.

That said there are are plenty of tickets for their Monday night on September 14th

http://www.ticketmaster.com/san-francisco-49ers-vs-minnesota-vikings-santa-clara-california-09-14-2015/event/1C004E95E62453F9?artistid=806015&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=8&tm_link=artist_msg-0_1C004E95E62453F9

and there is this

Single Game Tickets

Participation in Faithful 49 presented by Esurance is the preferred method for 49ers fans to secure single-game tickets to 49ers home games. The 49ers will use Faithful 49 rank to prioritize access to the limited inventory of single-game tickets that will be available each season.

How do they have any single game tickets if they are completely sold out?

All I was going on was the projected $500 million that was actually $312 million which means did they drop prices? because it still sounds like they also had an every seat is a PSL seat rule.

Phenomenal achievement if they did sell out, even if there are ones on secondary market. As I said before I hope they do sellout here in Atlanta, and its packed each game with Falcons fans.

If I had to guess it was a set of multiple reasons. I have a feeling there may have been a very small amount of price drops but couldn't find any concrete evidence of that.

More likely, I bet they included (as the Falcons have likely done) some portion of the interest earned on in house financed PSLs, that results in a lot of money! In my case my two ticket PSLs were $90k. During my meeting however I confirmed that there was no early payoff penalty and that the two years between my meeting and the "final payment" due was interest free. With both of those being the case I elected for the financed option but am fully expecting to pay them off in March of 2017. If I were to finance the full amount ($63k @ 8.5% since you have to pay 3/10 by March 2017) the total amount paid would have been $124k, an additional $33k... Extrapolated out to the full founder club section of 1,200 seats that's a potential variance of $54M (no one finances) to $74.4M (everyone finances maximum allowable amount)...

All of this was clearly and openly spelled out by my Rep and very transparent, they even give you the total amount paid if maximum is financed.

I hope few fans do finance tickets as I don't think it's a responsible approach but would bet that is where the deltas come from in projections to actuals.

Edited by Leggggggo

Check out the number of tix currently up for sale at all games week#1.

Note the PSL stadiums high quantities. Interesting.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/schedule/_/seasontype/2/week/1

As you would logically expect... That's based on Stubhub, a 100% resale vendor...

When you go to ticketmaster (NFL Sponsored ticket authority) and look at the Dallas Cowboys game (and turn resale off) there is not a single ticket available. But when you go to Jacksonville and turn resale off, more than half the stadium still has purchasable tickets from the venue itself.

Edited by Leggggggo