He looked powerful in the interior. Seems to be more comfortable shooting the gap rather than 2 gapping. Average edge speed, but very quick interior presence. It's going to be fun to see what Quinn and Smith dial up this year. The rotations will be very interesting to watch.

He looked great but keep in mind he was playing against backups. It's a good sign (better by far than looking mediocre or bad against backups), but let's see what he does against first stringers.

I'm a fan, just trying to be realistic about what we saw.

I'm one of those fans that KoG alluded to earlier lol.

I've been on the Goodman bandwagon since Draft Day 2013. I don't remember any specific plays from Friday, but I too noticed Goodman playing with leverage and not getting bullied around.

Fentaye's right about noticeable improvement with Goodman, Maponga, and Starr.

Whether any of these guys turn out to be a star or just depth; it's surely a breath of fresh air to at least have guys who Quinn and Co. can rotate and play spot minutes when needed.

LEO-Beasley, Biermann

RDT-Hageman, Babinaux, Jarrett

LDT-Soliai, ________???(Mbu or waiver wire pick up)

LDE-Jackon, Clayborn

SLB-Schofield, Starr, Reed(PUP???)

That is twelve already and with a minimum of 4 LB's, 4 S's, and 5 to 6 CB's, thats 25 to 26 defenders which is it. I have not named Goodman or Maponga and both are practice squad candidates at this point. Goodman looks tons better than last year. Even still he is on a 3rd string defense that allowed all 24 pts friday night. The ones and twos had two turn overs and 10 pts in two drives.

I have heard that Biermann and Starr are not locks. That is true but they are not susceptable to Goodman or even Maponga for that matter as they work in space which was the one thing Starr did well a couple times during the game. If Reed is slow to round into game shape in the next 3 weeks, his position is sure to be one of the extra spots filled. All the other guys would not have been added or needed if Quinn believed in Goodman the way some here do. If you cant bear the thought of Goodman developing for a year on the PS, then look away or prepare to get your heart broken.

Edited by Ryan_2.0_WCO

LEO-Beasley, Biermann

RDT-Hageman, Babinaux, Jarrett

LDT-Soliai, ________???(Mbu or waiver wire pick up)

LDE-Jackon, Clayborn

SLB-Schofield, Starr, Reed(PUP???)

That is twelve already and with a minimum of 4 LB's, 4 S's, and 5 to 6 CB's, thats 25 to 26 defenders which is it. I have not named Goodman or Maponga and both are practice squad candidates at this point. Goodman looks tons better than last year. Even still he is on a 3rd string defense that allowed all 24 pts friday night. The ones and twos had two turn overs and 10 pts in two drives.

I have heard that Biermann and Starr are not locks. That is true but they are not susceptable to Goodman or even Maponga for that matter as they work in space which was the one thing Starr did well a couple times during the game. If Reed is slow to round into game shape in the next 3 weeks, his position is sure to be one of the extra spots filled. All the other guys would not have been added or needed if Quinn believed in Goodman the way some here do. If you cant bear the thought of Goodman developing for a year on the PS, then look away or prepare to get your heart broken.

Goodman isn't eligible for the practice squad anymore. He also played over 50% of our defensive snaps last year. So he's either on the active roster, or he's cut. Also, Goodman wasn't the 3rd stringer in the preseason game, he was the 2nd stringer when Jackson left the game. He played the 5-tech DE spot in base defense alongside Mbu at 1-tech and Jarrett at 3-tech, and moved down to a pass rushing DT role in the sub packages similar to how Clayborn was used there. One thing to consider is if Cliff Matthews were healthy, would Goodman still have been the first backup in the game at that spot? Matthews is going to be Goodman's direct competition, so we'll see if/when Matthews gets healthy.

The rest of what I'm about to say is acknowleding this is after only 1 preseason game and that things can and will change with regards to the depth chart as we get close to the regular season. This is based only off what we know so far, and recognizing several things are highly likely to change.

Clayborn didn't see any snaps at SDE, only at DT in the pass rushing package alongside Babs - obviously this could and probably will change when it's a regular season game and the top guys play more snaps. So like Matthews above, we'll see if there is even a spot for Goodman/Matthews on the active roster if Clayborn ends up taking on a bigger role than just a nickel DT pass rusher. If Goodman or Matthews make the roster, that would be 7 big DL types instead of my projected 6 (Soliai, Jackson, Hageman, Babs, Jarrett, Clayborn), which would mean one less Edge rusher (4 instead of 5) or one less LB (4 instead of 5) - or possibly keeping one less player on offense for a split of 24 on O / 26 on D. [7 DL, 5 Edge, 5 LB, 4 S, 5 CB]

Reed is due back any day now, pump the brakes on that ridiculous PUP talk.

For Edge players, Beasley, Reed, Schofield are all virtual locks. Biermann would seem close to a lock as well due to his LEO/SLB versatility, experience, and special teams ability. But assuming he's not a lock, that leaves Biermann, Maponga, and Starr fighting over 1 or 2 spots, depending on how many bigger DL's we keep. Goodman isn't in direct competition with any of these guys based on how he was used in the preseason game. If we only keep 4 Edge players, that would most likely mean keeping Biermann for his versatility, cutting Maponga, and putting Starr on the practice squad.

For LBers, Worrilow and Durant are locks. And the backups fighting over 2 or 3 spots are in most likely order as of right now Bartu, Stupar, Bradford, Akunne, Spruill. This is a position a lot of a team's core special teams players come from. So it would be hard to go with less than 5 here.

After seeing how the team utilized Goodman this 1st preseason game, I'm finding it more and more likely that we do add either Goodman or Matthews to the roster giving us 7 DL's instead of the 6 I've been projecting. This would most likely mean keeping only 4 of my listed Edge players, or sacrificing an offensive player - which is going to be difficult to do as well. But I still want to see what the rotation is going to look like after Matthews and Reed bump other players down. We know Reed will start, which means Biermann wont be the starting SLB like he was in this game. Does that bump him over to the starting LEO in base defense, or just to a backup? Does Matthews fit in the rotation in front of Goodman at 5-tech? And does that free up Goodman or Schofield to be the starting LEO in base defense and a backup interior DT in sub packages? I'm talking about someone else starting at LEO in the base defense because during the regular season we wont have Beasley playing every snap. And he'll be most wanted on the field as a pass rusher, not in the base defense.

Edited by RandomFan