Jimmy Carter Has Cancer

Forever Julian

Surprised there isn't a post about the man from Georgia to ever be President on a Georgia-centric message board.

Jimmy Carter, former US president, reveals he has cancer

Former US President Jimmy Carter says recent liver surgery revealed that he has cancer and it has spread to other parts of his body.

The 90-year-old statesman underwent surgery to remove a small mass in his liver earlier this month.

He said he would reveal more "when facts are known, possibly next week".

Mr Carter will undergo treatment by physicians at Emory Healthcare in Atlanta.

President Barack Obama wished Mr Carter "a full and fast recovery" in a statement released on Wednesday.

"Jimmy, you're as resilient as they come, and along with the rest of America, we are rooting for you," Mr Obama said.

The White House said Mr Obama spoke to Mr Carter on the telephone on Wednesday.

Bernice King, daughter of Martin Luther King Jr, posted on Twitter: "President #JimmyCarter is in my thoughts & prayers. May the Lord heal, comfort & encourage this extraordinary servant-leader to the world."

Leaving the White House in 1981, Mr Carter has remained active carrying out humanitarian efforts with his Carter Center in recent years.

He founded the centre, which focuses on human-rights efforts and political mediation, soon after he left office.

He was later responsible for negotiating a 1994 nuclear disarmament pact with North Korea and has visited Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in recent years.

A Democrat from Georgia, Mr Carter was elected president in 1976.

He won the Nobel Peace prize in 2002 for his commitment to finding peaceful solutions to international conflicts, his work with human rights and democracy initiatives and his promotion of economic and social programmes.

The BBC interviewed Mr Carter in February about his efforts to eradicate guinea worm disease and in the South Sudan and Mali and river blindness in both Africa and Latin America.

He said then he was happy to still be travelling and doing work across the globe.

But in May, he returned early from a trip to observe elections in Guyana because he was "not feeling well".

Mr Carter has been recently promoting his latest book, A Full Life: Reflections at Ninety, which was released in July.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33898331

Scary stuff. My parents came to this country while he was president. Seems like a good guy, and his foundation has done a lot of good in the world.

I hope he is ok.

His presidency often gets criticized....sometimes fairly ... sometimes not IMO (which is par the coarse for the position.) However as people pointed out, as a man and as a person it is hard to say he was anything other then genuine.

AND I will say that had the country followed his lead on energy conservation we would be in much better shape today. The man was way ahead of his time when it comes to energy conservation.

As someone who was born ~10 years after Carter's presidency what was so bad about it?

I hear anecdotal stories from my parents about how the economy was REALLY bad in the late 70's, but that really just seems like capitalism because the economy was REALLY bad when I was in undergrad ~ 2008. It seems to always cycle from crash to boom times.

As someone who was born ~10 years after Carter's presidency what was so bad about it?

I hear anecdotal stories from my parents about how the economy was REALLY bad in the late 70's, but that really just seems like capitalism because the economy was REALLY bad when I was in undergrad ~ 2008. It seems to always cycle from crash to boom times.

It was defined by the Energy Crisis, Inflation, and the Iran Hostage Situation. I was a kid myself but I remember it well.

18% interest rates, he gutted our military budget to a point it was so weak and we became weak and a joke, he spent years trying to bring peace to the middle east Sadat and Begin and that collapsed

But agree he was a kind man but got run over in DC

Back when Reagan announced he had Alzheimer's, I don't remember if people said stuff like "He sold arms to Iran, nearly tripled the federal budget deficit, and destroyed the middle class, but he seemed like a nice enough feller, so I wish him well."

I believe you just did. You were a little late though.

Back when Reagan announced he had Alzheimer's, I don't remember if people said stuff like "He sold arms to Iran, nearly tripled the federal budget deficit, and destroyed the middle class, but he seemed like a nice enough feller, so I wish him well."

Back when Reagan died, there were some especially horrible things said about him, some of them on this very forum.

Way worse than anything I've seen in this thread, FWIW.

Back when Reagan died, there were some especially horrible things said about him, some of them on this very forum.

Way worse than anything I've seen in this thread, FWIW.

That's true.

Though to be fair, Carter mostly gets blamed for things way beyond his control (like the oil crisis and Desert One) and for being rather dopey, while Reagan literally committed treason. So I guess it all evens out...

If there was a drinking game for the Republican presidential debates where you had to take a shot every time a candidate said "Reagan" I wonder how long it'd take you to get alcohol poisoning?

Not long at all.

The crazy thing is how Reagan was exactly like all of them. I mean, whatever they propose doing is exactly the same thing he would have done!

What a coincidence, huh?

Not long at all.

The crazy thing is how Reagan was exactly like all of them. I mean, whatever they propose doing is exactly the same thing he would have done!

What a coincidence, huh?

Except that many of the things that Reagan did during his presidency would have gotten him labeled as a "RINO" by the current crowd if it were done by someone who is not practically a diety at this point.

Parties change...JFK would be considered a Republican nowadays

Nothing says "Republican nowadays," like immigration reform, federal funding of education, expansion of Medicare, expansion of welfare for the poor, and calling for a massive and expensive public program (moon trip).

edit: I will give you one thing: Parties certainly do change. You need look no further than the Southern strategy for proof of that.

Edited by Psychic Gibbon