Quinn Has Two Turntables And A Microphone, And A New Coaching Philosophy

FentayeJones

And that funky beat is being laid down by the training camp DJ. That loud music is giving camp a high energy that shows exactly how much and how quickly Quinn has changed the team's philosophy, per an in-depth article from Alex Marvez of Fox Sports.

Most fans wanted a culture change with the Falcons after two disappointing, nearly identical back-to-back seasons to finish out the Mike Smith era. Those changes are happening. Starting with the aforementioned DJ.

Taking a page from Seattle's Pete Carroll, new Falcons head coach Dan Quinn has radically changed the environment in which the club trains....

Quinn said that wanting a "high-energy" practice environment isn't the only reason for the sonic blasts. Quinn wants to prepare his players for the game-day environment in which music and crowd noise are usually deafening both at home and on the road.

The change is impressive. Previous Falcons camps had been excruciatingly vanilla, and the same lack of urgency could be seen throughout the entire season. It was as if disinterest had been instilled into the team from the top down. That problem should be gone.

Falcons center Joe Hawley notices a positive difference in the tempo of the defense, which is where Quinn spends the majority of practice coaching. "Those guys are playing with a lot more energy than last year," Hawley said. "It's fun to see them attack the ball."

The change has been so drastic, some players have struggled to comprehend Quinn's enthusiasm for the game.

Quinn's enthusiasm has quickly struck a positive chord with Falcons players who were accustomed to the more buttoned-down (albeit still largely successful) style of predecessor Mike Smith.

"Every day guys are like, 'Man, is this real? Is this really happening?'" said outside linebacker O'Brien Schofield, who followed Quinn from Seattle as a free agent. "I'm like, 'Yeah.' He wants you to be loose and have fun. "He talks about it all the time. He doesn't want guys to come out and play uptight. He wants you to be able to turn it loose and let 'er rip. You're playing with your brothers. It's the game you've been playing since we were kids. Nothing has changed."

In the article, Matt Ryan and Hawley discusses Quinn getting players to buy into the team's new philosophy, and the improvement they expect with the new offensive line scheme and more balanced dedication to the run game.

There has been a lot of talk about players losing weight, and Marvez's article finishes off with the mention that William Moore reported to camp last year at 230 pounds. Which is also literally Paul Worrilow's listed weight. A starting safety weighing the same as a starting middle linebacker should probably be a giant warning sign that your defense is going to be terrible.

However, Moore has dropped 13 pounds, and says he is down to his high school weight. Players seem to be buying in, and Quinn has been bringing the intensity and hands-on work that this team has been so desperately missing. The Falcons could be headed for a drastic turnaround sooner rather than later, in part thanks to some uptempo beats.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2015/8/12/9134345/quinn-has-two-turntables-and-a-microphone-and-a-new-coaching

GET EXCITED I FIGURED IT OUT

I belive the falcons will win the superbowl this year bc of explosive offense and takeaway defense we have to lean on our strenghts tho heres the MASTERPLAN

#1 Juilio Jones- Feed this man the ball for 1800 yards and 16 touchdowns this year

#2Antone Smith- This year tone will break out and have a monster year 20 tds 2000 yards just feed him the ball 20-25 carrries a game...this guy can fly and make plays he is not the biggest but his football skills are on 1000 feed this man this will be our breakout player he will compete against AP and Bell for the best rb in the league this year i also see gordon having a big year

#3 Matt ryan---Run the ball on every first down and them pass 2nd and 3rd feed tone and use max protect on third and short and fire to white when they are blanketing julio also lean on tolio in the redzone

#4 Hester--Wildcard---Big year on special teams

#5 Trufant---Put trufant on the weakide and Shade help to the otherside and watch trufant island be born aka tufant the tree...

I have tested this theory on madden and i am top 100 i beat up on any and every team check my resume im on ps3 gamertag----SHOWTIME3MILS

Guest facelessman07

sad you can t just move on

Where did I mention names?

My comment was directly in congruence with the theme of the article: "change"

Stop your witch hunt

Lastly, sarcasm much?

Guest facelessman07

you didn t need to mention names. there is no witch hunt. smith is gone, you got what you wanted, move on.

Why are you bringing Smith up now? Huh?

I was just posting my appreciation for the article content

Stop living in the past

Guest facelessman07

you already did mr i miss the uptight style. you re the one that seems to have a hard time letting go and moving on.

Don't blame me for your lack of sarcasm recognition

Guest facelessman07

i understand that it was sarcasm, i also understand it was a shot at the old staff.

Ok, so how do you feel about the "shots" taken at that same staff in the article? By your definition, they're clearly there

Perhaps we need to go riot over at Falcoholic

I love pretty much everything about Quinn. That said I am getting tired of every reporter thinking they are required to talk about the dang music! WE KNOW HE BROUGHT IN A DJ! :lol:

It's funny, Quinn's music taste is literally my least favorite thing about him. The title references a Beck song, I'd have killed to hear a Beck song at Flowery Branch whenI was up there forTC. It was all bubble gum hip-hop crap.

I guess he has to appease this generation.

Why do some posters get bent so out of shape anytime someone mentions or references anything negative about Mike Smith? What's the deal with that? This article is clearly talking about the difference in atmosphere of a Mike Smith training camp versus a Dan Quinn lead one. So someone should get put on blast for mentioning Mike Smith in a negative tone, especially in this thread.

I'm thrilled that play not to lose football is long gone and gets can get back to going out on the field and playing fast and loose. That is the key to winning football games. Want to see what happens when a team goes out on the field so scared to make plays because of fear of making a mistake look no further than the embarrassment that was the Giants game.

Why do some posters get bent so out of shape anytime someone mentions or references anything negative about Mike Smith? What's the deal with that? This article is clearly talking about the difference in atmosphere of a Mike Smith training camp versus a Dan Quinn lead one. So someone should get put on blast for mentioning Mike Smith in a negative tone, especially in this thread.

I'm thrilled that play not to lose football is long gone and gets can get back to going out on the field and playing fast and loose. That is the key to winning football games. Want to see what happens when a team goes out on the field so scared to make plays because of fear of making a mistake look no further than the embarrassment that was the Giants game.

Good question. Clearly the contrast between Smith and Quinn is the point of the article so I'd say bringing up Smith is pretty relevant to this discussion. If someone doesn't want to talk about Smith I'd start by not posting articles about him.

the reason some ppl dnt like seeing negative things about smitty is because they still remember all the GOOD things he done here..

He brouht a winning culture here,well respected throughout the bulding and didnt step on any of his staff toes.

He had two very bad yrs back to back, but other then that, smitty is the best coach we EVER had, to talk so bad about him is just sad imo.

I can only imagine some ppl on here if quinn wins and goes to the playoffs. I can see it now "quinns the best" "quinn won his first yr"etc

Ppl forget how good smitty was, we were 4-12 in 07, he turned it around going 11-5 the nxt yr. Thats coaching, thats changing a culture from a quitter to a winner.. respect the man and all he done for us. At the end of the day smitty left us in a good situation, so thank him for that.

It's funny, Quinn's music taste is literally my least favorite thing about him. The title references a Beck song, I'd have killed to hear a Beck song at Flowery Branch whenI was up there forTC. It was all bubble gum hip-hop crap.

I guess he has to appease this generation.

LOL tell me about it, saw his play list and said Ok I am gonna check it out on youtube. Halfway through it and I am officially old FML. About the first time I've ever listened to contemporary music and was like WTF I don't get it, oh well, I do like the change in atmosphere. I'm more interested in his solid "playlist" on game day however .