Tablet Recommendations

mookie3127

So I've been tossing around the idea of getting my son a tablet for Christmas this year. I've always said I'd be one of those parents that wouldn't get the child "this" or "that" when they're "insert age here". Well that didn't work out. biggrin.png My son recently turned 2, but I've had to enable the finger print reader on my Galaxy phone because he could easily swipe and was launching apps, etc. Thankfully, no purchases, but he's a smart little booger. Anyway, I'd like to look into a small tablet to keep in the car for him for car rides, long and short, that I can load movies, tv shows, age appropriate learning games, etc onto. I've got Amazon Prime as one outlet to download from if that's any help. I prefer Android, but I'm not opposed to Apple.

Guest facelessman07

If it's for a 2 year old I wouldn't invest a large sum for either an iPad or a Galaxy tab, etc

Since you have Amazon prime maybe a Fire HD? Much cheaper than the tablets listed above

Plus with all the money you save you'll be able to buy a sturdy case to protect it, which you'll most definitely need to do considering the hands it will be in

We love our iPad and so does my son. He's 3. It's not his but he uses it the most. My experience is that the iPads are a little more simple in their use so may be a better option for the little one. Thankfully my son is very active so he doesn't spend too much time on it.

My dad has the Samsung tablet (ativ?) but it has been nothing but problems. I'm typically a big fan of Samsung and won't buy a tv that isn't a Samsung, but that thing just has a bug of some kind. Could have just gotten a lemon though.

If it's for a 2 year old I wouldn't invest a large sum for either an iPad or a Galaxy tab, etc

Since you have Amazon prime maybe a Fire HD? Much cheaper than the tablets listed above

Plus with all the money you save you'll be able to buy a sturdy case to protect it, which you'll most definitely need to do considering the hands it will be in

Great point. Might be worth your while to check out used tablets.

We bought our kids the Kindle Fire last Christmas and they are okay, but really don't measure up to the iPad for usability, ease of installing new apps, etc. Really it's not even close. They pretty much remain untouched while the kids still use our iPads.

Just my recommendations based on experience

http://glyde.com/buy/used-ipad-mini

Great case, they love the handle and can even survive a drop. Lots of colors

http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Light-Weight-Shock-Handle/dp/B00EPIWYDY/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1439167611&sr=1-2&keywords=ipad+mini+case+for+kids

Same here. No problems

so far except youtube recommending I watch more play doh egg surprise videos and minecraft tutorials.

lol my boy won't share his pad with me.

It's fun seeing their interests change as they get older. First Thomas the train now he likes a monster truck show.... Blaze is the main character, I can't think of the name.

lol my boy won't share his pad with me.

It's fun seeing their interests change as they get older. First Thomas the train now he likes a monster truck show.... Blaze is the main character, I can't think of the name.

I set their tablet up under my youtube account so I could monitor what they were watching. My 8 year old son likes to push the limits with his youtube selections if I don't monitor it closely.

I set their tablet up under my youtube account so I could monitor what they were watching. My 8 year old son likes to push the limits with his youtube selections if I don't monitor it closely.

I guess I'll be doing the same shortly. He has a fascination of watching ukrainain guys playing fps games. It's hilarious.

Go with the Kindle. I have 2 kids. They preferred and primarily used the iPad, but they also broke the screen. Twice. My 3 year old also figured out how to make the one-click purchases on Amazon from the iPad.

The Kindle has a lot of controls to set how much time they can be on it per day, on videogames vs educational or watching movies. It also has a lot of educational apps for kids, read alongs with the Amazon books (baby books), etc... The iPad has a lot more apps and is easier to use, but that is a bad thing because your kids can do a LOT before you notice. The Kindle being a little bit harder to use means you are more involved setting them up, but it also means they are less likely to get into things you don't want them to get into. Oh yeah, almost forgot, the screen is 10 times more durable than the iPad, hasn't cracked once and we've left them unmonitored with it a million times.

For kids, Kindle without question. No comparison. And the kid cases are much thicker, protecting it when they drop it.

The Apple products are too easy, and this reminded me of the perfect example of what "too easy" means. When my girl was a year and a half, she had my iPhone on the floor. I see her touching the screen with one finger, then she would wave and say "bye bye". I thought it was adorable, the cutest thing seeing your baby waving and saying bye to a phone at literally 18 months old. Then I looked at what she was doing, and she was deleting my app's. She must've held her finger on an app for a few seconds. The apps were all shaking and she learned that touching the x made them disappear.

Way too easy to use.

We got our kids Kindle Fires. They've been pretty solid. They're 7, 9 and 11 though.

My 11 year old stays glued to her tablet. She was given an ultra cheap one as early as 6 or 7, but it didn't last long.

I guess I might change my mind when the kid is screaming, but I don't plan on either getting, or letting the next child, use a tablet or my phone until they're at least 6 or so.

My 11 year old stays glued to her tablet. She was given an ultra cheap one as early as 6 or 7, but it didn't last long.

I guess I might change my mind when the kid is screaming, but I don't plan on either getting, or letting the next child, use a tablet or my phone until they're at least 6 or so.

Tablets been great for teaching my 2 year old.

Wait.. Waylon can use a tablet?