Gazoo's 2015 Training Camp Takeaways (So Far)

I feel our starting OL will be pretty good. Keep in mind defenses wont be able to tee off on Ryan every snap if our defense plays respectably. The last 2 years our defense couldnt stop anyone so we saw fierce pass rushes on more snaps than we ostensibly will this year.

The depth is what concerns me, if we lose Mathews to an injury that puts him on IR we would be up sheetz creek

Yeah that's a really good point. I'm actually comfortable with our starting line, but our line has been so polluted with injuries that I'm weary of how they will be able to hold up. Cause I don't trust this depth.
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think our season will boil down to how well the O-line comes together, stays healthy, and PLAYS.

THAT will determine almost.......everything.

actually i think it's all about an improved defense. as bad and injured as the OLine was last year we were still in most games offensively IIRC. we just couldn't stop jackshittt defensively!!! all about Quinn's D IMHO...tho we know it's about BOTH!!! wink.png

What does Hageman being "out of shape" and a rotational player have to do with playing him to his strengths? Hageman can dominate a gap and penetrate, but was asked to do the opposite. That's called misused talent.

Babs started and ended the season at DE. He played majority of his snaps out of position. That's called misused talent.

Soliai is a NT/1T but was asked to pass rush. A man with 4.5 career sacks prior to last year. LMAO

TJax showed he is a run stopping 5T only in KC. We instead used him how he was used as a major bust.

Just like you said, Biermann wasn't the best pass rusher on the team, yet he was used the most... Biermann/Soliai/TJax/Babs was the most used grouping last year. Who is the primary pass rusher? Doesn't matter who you say because not a single one of those guys should be.

Go watch the second Saints game. I'm telling you. We had more talent than was utilized.

lol, we didnt have any passrushers to begin with..

Like ive said b4, the solia and jackson signings have a lot of ?s to me as well.. but again behind solia jackson beerman and osi was who??

Nobody was making plays.. i believe nolan was just trying to find something that wrked..

Another thing, you named babs,solia and jackson righf? Theres a good chance none of them are staters on this defense. That DEF includes beerman.

When it comes to hageman him being out of shape has a lot to do with impact and production. But what it seems like your saying is he wasnt capable of playing in nolans defense? I would have to disagree imo. I think he has the athleticism strength and quickness to play any front..

Complicated defense? Yes most def which also could have led to his below average yr..

Not to mention they somehow got Chip Kelly to take Sam Bradford and give them Nick Foles.

They are gonna be a legit contender.

Nick Foles sucks Imo. He's a QB you can never win a superbowl with. I actually think the Eagles got the better QB as long as Bradford can stay healthy which is as big as a question mark as FFS1970 mental stability.

Nick Foles sucks Imo. He's a QB you can never win a superbowl with. I actually think the Eagles got the better QB as long as Bradford can stay healthy which is as big as a question mark as FFS1970 mental stability.

This is an untrue statement in regards to pretty much any QB with at least minimal skill.

I will be glad when we have preseason film and games to watch where we actually have some real NFL competition to measure our play and players against. While Gazoo makes a good case, it is mostly pure speculation. Even if he has watched every TC practice, of which there has been what? 8 practices? with only half in full pads? The speculation is fun and we as Falcon fans are hopeful - but there is more data to be gathered before we know how this team will come together. Also, remember all we have done so far is play each other. The Falcons defensive line looks good because they get to go against our offensive line everyday - and offensive line that is learning a new scheme and one with limited talent. Remember years past where Smitty/Dimi would trick themselves into thinking we were OK on line of scrimmage - then we would have joint practices with Cincinnati Bengals and they would throttle and dominate Falcons on both sides of the ball in the trenches? It was an ominous sign that manifested itself in the regular season - those scrimmages w/ Bengals exposed the Falcons as a soft team.

I am very hopeful. I like our new HC/Quinn and believe we have more defensive talent - still HUGELY concerned about the O-Line. I am hopeful - but, predicting 11-12 wins is an incredible stretch at this point. I could be satisfied w/ anywhere from 7-10 wins if we see progress overall w/ the team and with the roster. Sure we all want 12 wins - would be nice.

Good points G-dawg, I am certainly making educated projections based on what I'm seeing. Educated meaning 50 years of watching NFL football. Until they play in regular season against multiple opponents it's all speculation.

Even after playing multiple teams it's all speculation. Teams don't always play to the best of their ability and some play above their ability. You may have an idea about a team based on what you see on paper but it's possible for a team to beat the patriots, packers, then Seahawks in a row then never win another game. On paper we're much better now it needs to translate to the field. My biggest concern is all of the rah rah new atmosphere. What happens in three years when it's not new and you're hearing/doing the same thing? Are the players going to just go through the motions like some admitted?

Even after playing multiple teams it's all speculation. Teams don't always play to the best of their ability and some play above their ability. You may have an idea about a team based on what you see on paper but it's possible for a team to beat the patriots, packers, then Seahawks in a row then never win another game. On paper we're much better now it needs to translate to the field. My biggest concern is all of the rah rah new atmosphere. What happens in three years when it's not new and you're hearing/doing the same thing? Are the players going to just go through the motions like some admitted?

My thought is, it's much more than just rah-rah, there's a real plan in place. Makes a difference. Also makes a difference when rah-rah is your natural state. Quinn can do rah-rah, Smith would have just looked silly doing it.

And, again, I liked Smith, he just wasn't a rah-rah guy.

My thought is, it's much more than just rah-rah, there's a real plan in place. Makes a difference. Also makes a difference when rah-rah is your natural state. Quinn can do rah-rah, Smith would have just looked silly doing it.

And, again, I liked Smith, he just wasn't a rah-rah guy.

My only thing is anything becomes repetitive when you do it over and over. Training camp year 3 is going to be more of the same and if the players tune it out we're back in the same boat.

My only thing is anything becomes repetitive when you do it over and over. Training camp year 3 is going to be more of the same and if the players tune it out we're back in the same boat.

Yea, Quinn said they battled that in Seattle last year..guess what they did? Changed things up! Shocker right!? Even just things as simple as meeting in different rooms then they used to. Anything to change the routine. He's got a plan in place

Yea, Quinn said they battled that in Seattle last year..guess what they did? Changed things up! Shocker right!? Even just things as simple as meeting in different rooms then they used to. Anything to change the routine. He's got a plan in place

I think after we win our SuperBowl in 2017, in 2018 each coach should come dressed to practice every day as their favorite member of KISS - this would change things up.

Kiss-001.jpg

good post. from your observations, what would you say has "disaapointed" or "worried" you? Where do we need to improve/potentially add people?

The OL depth is my main concern. The backup swing tackle scares the beetlejuice out of me. If we lose either starting OT its going to cause problems for an already thin OL, but if we lose Mathews Ryan and us fans will be in for a long season unless we grab a veteran LT with a little left in the tank after cuts.

Although our starting OL is overall,no better than average or perhas slightly below average, I think our starters will be effective, epsecially if the defense can step up and keep us in games.

The LB corp appears to be in much better shape, but until I see it in action and they prove they can sstay healthy I'm concerned.

No telling how Allen will do at FS once the season starts, but we have an ok backup Godfrey.

I'm pretty comfortable witn everything else at the moment, especailly with all the quality depth we've signed.

I'm not concered about what may or may not happen in training camp 3 years from now, I'm focused on this seasons training camp.

As far as speculation goes, that's all any of us are doing. If you think the OL is in bad shape, thats speculation. If you think we won't win the division, that's speculation. If you like one of the rookies and think he might start, that's speculation. 100% of teams fanbases are speculating, I just don't see any value speculating the glass half full. As a fan, I'm ALREADY havimng fun focusing on this teams potential than I would be focusing on the negative.

I'm not concered about what may or may not happen in training camp 3 years from now, I'm focused on this seasons training camp.

As far as speculation goes, that's all any of us are doing. If you think the OL is in bad shape, thats speculation. If you think we won't win the division, that's speculation. If you like one of the rookies and think he might start, that's speculation. 100% of teams fanbases are speculating, I just don't see any value speculating the glass half full. As a fan, I'm ALREADY havimng fun focusing on this teams potential than I would be focusing on the negative.

Do you realize it would have been much simpler to say that you agree with me? Your whole point earlier was that you were making educated projections until we face multiple teams in the regular season and I said even afterwards it was still speculation.