My Observation Of Our Defense

So I went to FNL last night and let me start by saying what a turn out it was.

Ok so I was sitting on the hill outside of the bleachers near the endzone so I was able to watch the D line drills.

Vic Beasley looked great! I have no doubt

that he will get his fair amount of sacks. He's a bit on the small side which makes since that he was the most athletic de in the draft. His explosion off of the line is just that, An explosion. he beat konz repeatedly. I think his strong suit is the swim technique. I watched him try to spim but he ended up right back in from of konz.

Hardy is going to play a big role in our offense. He has great hands and speed. Yes he is small but his route running is so crisp that his cuts will always make some type of separation. Its hard to find someone to compare him to but he could definitely make an impact this year.

Grady Jerrett is much like beasley in terms of explosion. He gets off the line quick, much due to his smaller frame comepared to other players at his position. Don't get me wrong though, because that is one strong man.

Hageman is a grown man. His pure strength is amazing. I saw him drive back olinemen all day. I believe everyone will be in for a huge suprise. He will jump on to the scene this year for sure.

Lastly, our defensive line was dominating the offensive line. There's just no other way to put it. But it is definately due to the offensive line still learning the scheme. There were times where the play would sort of dwindle due to mistakes at the beginning of the play (mostly second and third string players). But in the scheme its not about out muscling the guy in front of you but more so of redirecting the guys and making paths for the running back. And for those of you who think that matt isnt athletic enough for this scheme, he looks like a natural. Everytime i saw him roll out it was on a play action pass which he runs beautifully.

Ive been trying to compare hardy to someone.

I kno this is a stretch, but marvin harrison.

I kno harrison is a HOF player IMO, but the fact that he was a smaller type WR that was able to consistently run crisp routes and had unbelievable hands.

Yea, marvin harrison.

Matt has always performed well on designed roll outs/throwing on the run. It adds a dimension that further helps the pass protection.

The DL could be amazing.

LDE-Jackson, if we go strictly two gapper he is very good as a run plugger. Red Bryant type.

NT-Soliai also excels as two gap run plugger.

UT-Hageman is really the wild card because if he plays to his full potential he is going to be a game changer.

LEO-Beasley like Hageman is a game changer and perfect scheme fit on Quinns DL.

LDE-Clayborn could be closer to Michael Bennett when Quinn want heat from the LE. He does not stay blocked like run pluggers.

NT-Jarrett may be a 3T but until we see how Quinn uses him I will consider him Quinns option when he wants heat up the middle.

UT-Babinaux is playing his natural fit and should reap the benefits especially sharing the load at his age.

LEO-Biermann is more run than pass defender but he is second string talent. Could benefit from fresh legs vs stressed LT. Can hold the edge when needed at RE.

SLB-Reed figures as run stuffer on early downs.

MLB-Worrilow has one year left or prove it year to show if he is Quinns MLB. Mychal Kendricks also a FA next year.

WLB-Durant is a playmaker as long as he is healthy enough to play.

SLB-Schofield will bring the heat on 3rd and long.

MLB-Stupar shines on ST's and offers good depth.

WLB-Spruill could prove to be starter in waiting.

LB-Bradford could be STer good depth forcing extra depth player to be a LB.

I kno harrison is a HOF player IMO, but the fact that he was a smaller type WR that was able to consistently run crisp routes and had unbelievable hands.

Yea, marvin harrison.

People wont like it and get butt hurt when you compare rookies with zero games played to pro bowlers or hall of famers but Jerry Rice had a poor 40 yet great hands and excelled at getting open. At 6-2, 200 he was bigger but not that much.

I'm excited about the DL this year as you are. I'm still trying to absorb something in your post about Beasley beating Konz knowing Konz could make a Jamaal Anderson look good. I'm just wondering how Konz ended up lining up against him, were they playing him as a tackle or maybe guard?

it was during one on one drills with the d and o line

Really get pumped when I read how this defense is trending in a rapidly ascending upward. And however good the D looks now, we know it's only going to get better as the season progresses. It looks like we're finally going to have a D able to get off the field on third-and-long. Knock on wood.

You just can't take much away from events like FNL. Receivers look like Marvin Harrison and Jerry Rice when their playing in a meaningless scrimmage against themselves. Last year people were ranting and raving about Reedy and he never saw the field.

Let's see how this guys look against other teams and live action before we hand out yellow jackets. a

Can't wait for Hardy to prove me right. He'll not only replace HD, but possibly give us an upgrade.

Douglas is one year removed from a 1,067 yd season. But yeah I think Hankerson and Hardy both are upgrades over Douglas and he had 51 REC for 556 yds last year. He also matched his career high for TD's(the year before) with only 2 . I think they can do better than 10.9 YPC as well.

You just can't take much away from events like FNL. Receivers look like Marvin Harrison and Jerry Rice when their playing in a meaningless scrimmage against themselves. Last year people were ranting and raving about Reedy and he never saw the field.

Let's see how this guys look against other teams and live action before we hand out yellow jackets. a

WHOA! WHOa! WHoa! Whoa! whoa! Who said anything about buying Freak Magic a yellow coat? I for one just took his befitting nickname and ran with it.

Matt has always performed well on designed roll outs/throwing on the run. It adds a dimension that further helps the pass protection.

The DL could be amazing.

LDE-Jackson, if we go strictly two gapper he is very good as a run plugger. Red Bryant type.

NT-Soliai also excels as two gap run plugger.

UT-Hageman is really the wild card because if he plays to his full potential he is going to be a game changer.

LEO-Beasley like Hageman is a game changer and perfect scheme fit on Quinns DL.

LDE-Clayborn could be closer to Michael Bennett when Quinn want heat from the LE. He does not stay blocked like run pluggers.

NT-Jarrett may be a 3T but until we see how Quinn uses him I will consider him Quinns option when he wants heat up the middle.

UT-Babinaux is playing his natural fit and should reap the benefits especially sharing the load at his age.

LEO-Biermann is more run than pass defender but he is second string talent. Could benefit from fresh legs vs stressed LT. Can hold the edge when needed at RE.

SLB-Reed figures as run stuffer on early downs.

MLB-Worrilow has one year left or prove it year to show if he is Quinns MLB. Mychal Kendricks also a FA next year.

WLB-Durant is a playmaker as long as he is healthy enough to play.

SLB-Schofield will bring the heat on 3rd and long.

MLB-Stupar shines on ST's and offers good depth.

WLB-Spruill could prove to be starter in waiting.

LB-Bradford could be STer good depth forcing extra depth player to be a LB.

I would switch LDE Jackson on 1st unit to LDE Clayborn

Yea, marvin harrison.

Terance Mathis. Edited by Vandy

My Dear man, from the hearth of my loins I am rattled to believe each and every word you hath delivered upon our very eyes. Upon the near horizon the future shines, filled with bleachers of merry fans, aroused by the glottal cry of a defensive line unflappably lead by Sir Dan Quinn, our most beloved maestro of attack! Praise be, to you and unto Sir Dan Quinn, and unto our dear Falcons.

tumblr_nde4q6hul21u0j9hoo1_1280.jpg

People wont like it and get butt hurt when you compare rookies with zero games played to pro bowlers or hall of famers but Jerry Rice had a poor 40 yet great hands and excelled at getting open. At 6-2, 200 he was bigger but not that much.

ohh, idk jerry man, jerry is in his own spectrum lol..

Marvin was only 5'11 i believe maybe 6'0. Maybe.. but i just see him a little bit in hardys game when i watched his tape

Hardy = Steve Smith

Hardy = Steve Smith

Terrible comparison. Steve Smith was a speed ball. Hardy does not have that elite speed. I like comparisons as well but shouldn't we wait until we have at least a small sample size of pre-season and regular season games before we compare our rooks to HOF-type players?

Terrible comparison. Steve Smith was a speed ball. Hardy does not have that elite speed. I like comparisons as well but shouldn't we wait until we have at least a small sample size of pre-season and regular season games before we compare our rooks to HOF-type players?

Agree. Jarvis Landry is a better comparison anyways. Freakish hands, mediocre speed but excellent route running, has a knack for just being there for the ball...I always thought they were very similar players, similar sizes, similar playstyles. And Landry hauled 750 yards with 5 TDs in his rookie year last year...would be ecstatic with that kind of production, though I far from expect it.

But yeah, comparisons to players are more for fun than anything, not legitimate beliefs. At least, I'd hope they were.

Agree. Jarvis Landry is a better comparison anyways. Freakish hands, mediocre speed but excellent route running, has a knack for just being there for the ball...I always thought they were very similar players, similar sizes, similar playstyles. And Landry hauled 750 yards with 5 TDs in his rookie year last year...would be ecstatic with that kind of production, though I far from expect it.

But yeah, comparisons to players are more for fun than anything, not legitimate beliefs. At least, I'd hope they were.

I've always heard him most compared to Jarvis Landry also.

I like comparisons pre-draft - but at this point - once they are on the team - let's stop w/ the speculating too much and let it play out.