Peter King 929 Interview

atljbo

Lotta people, vets included, singing Beasley's praises

Disagree with King that the division comes down to who has the best defense

I agree, I happen to think the opposite. There isn't really a 'scary' offense in the division right now. I think the Falcons have a better chance of have a good offense if RB and TE play is good (Not as concerned about Oline as some).

Regardless, defenses can look really good against each other if you can't score.

I agree, I happen to think the opposite. There isn't really a 'scary' offense in the division right now. I think the Falcons have a better chance of have a good offense if RB and TE play is good (Not as concerned about Oline as some).

Regardless, defenses can look really good against each other if you can't score.

It's pretty easy to tell the difference between good defense and bad offense, or at least it is for me when I'm watching a game.

Lotta people, vets included, singing Beasley's praises

Disagree with King that the division comes down to who has the best defense

I agree with King. The last few years (aside from the Panthers) the defenses in this division have been laughably bad. It's one of the reasons the Panthers have won the division the last 2 years, especially last year despite being mediocre on offense. Winning still comes down to playing rock solid defense. That will not change. This ain't the CFL or AFL or some lower tier college conference. This is the NFL where defense still wins championships. Gotta be able to stop the other team to win on a consistent basis.

I agree with King. The last few years (aside from the Panthers) the defenses in this division have been laughably bad. It's one of the reasons the Panthers have won the division the last 2 years, especially last year despite being mediocre on offense. Winning still comes down to playing rock solid defense. That will not change. This ain't the CFL or AFL or some lower tier college conference. This is the NFL where defense still wins championships. Gotta be able to stop the other team to win on a consistent basis.

I'm not saying defense isn't important, it's very important. I disagree that winning the division comes down to who has the best defense tho. I can see us winning it with our D in the late teens/early twenties while the panthers finish ahead of us around a top 10 D. We'd have to stay healthy on offense

I'm not saying defense isn't important, it's very important. I disagree that winning the division comes down to who has the best defense tho. I can see us winning it with our D in the late teens/early twenties while the panthers finish ahead of us around a top 10 D. We'd have to stay healthy on offense

Well the Panthers defense has done quite well against the Falcons the last 2 or 3 years.

Ive been saying this all along ... I wanted a complete start over (clean house) because we had the same problem for years but Nolan and the boys wanted to focus on getting bigger and thinking they could create pressure being creative .... Some really did want to attack the pass rush...

I think this year we focused on building the core of this D and added some pieces... But i think we are holding on to this cap (as much as we can) so we can carry over most of it to add to next years cap.. So after we see what we have ... We can add a very good player in FA next year.

And with the Beasley thing .... Yessssssss indeed

When it comes to the Defense convo... We must remember when teams go against us... They faced the worst D in football while our O has to face a wayyyy better D... If we can put up an average D ...I think things would be different

Ive been saying this all along ... I wanted a complete start over (clean house) because we had the same problem for years but Nolan and the boys wanted to focus on getting bigger and thinking they could create pressure being creative .... Some really did want to attack the pass rush...

I think this year we focused on building the core of this D and added some pieces... But i think we are holding on to this cap (as much as we can) so we can carry over most of it to add to next years cap.. So after we see what we have ... We can add a very good player in FA next year.

And with the Beasley thing .... Yessssssss indeed

When it comes to the Defense convo... We must remember when teams go against us... They faced the worst D in football while our O has to face a wayyyy better D... If we can put up an average D ...I think things would be different

That is a very good point about the defense. If Quinn can just get the defense in the 15th-20th range and the offense stays the same or even improves (running game) then the Falcons will be the run away winners in the NFC South and finally be poised to make some noise in the playoffs.

Also, the Falcons must take back the dome. They've had some pretty embarrassing losses at home the last 2 years. Jets, Bears, Browns, Panthers (twice) are some games that come to mind right off the top of my head.

Super interesting stuff on the disconnect between basically TD and Smitty. That won't go down well with some folks here. lol

I read it JUST like I have called it since day one. This hasn't been TD's fault. Smitty wanted to build with fatties in the middle and didn't care about edge rushers.

I read it JUST like I have called it since day one. This hasn't been TD's fault. Smitty wanted to build with fatties in the middle and didn't care about edge rushers.

Smitty lost any sense of urgency and when you're basically playing for your job you can't do that. i understand he wanted to beef the interior up first and solidify the run D again, but he really screwed up by ignoring the edge.

Smitty lost any sense of urgency and when you're basically playing for your job you can't do that. i understand he wanted to beef the interior up first and solidify the run D again, but he really screwed up by ignoring the edge.

Then by playing the big fatties out of position and using a one legged Biermann as the primary pass rusher.

Then by playing the big fatties out of position and using a one legged Biermann as the primary pass rusher.

He was making moves a coach who has no fear of losing their job would make by trying to implement some kind of long term plan for the Dline. Which seems crazy because he had to feel he was on the hot seat no matter how much reassurance Blank gave him.

He was making moves a coach who has no fear of losing their job would make by trying to implement some kind of long term plan for the Dline. Which seems crazy because he had to feel he was on the hot seat no matter how much reassurance Blank gave him.

oh come on, he HAD to lose any of that after AB's comments following the loss in London. of course by then it was too late for acquiring players, but he sure should have changed philosophies after that

Edited by papachaz

oh come on, he HAD to lose any of that after AB's comments following the loss in London. of course by then it was too late for acquiring players, but he sure should have changed philosophies after that

Right, midseason in his last season he had to have known. The moves he made in the prior off season though showed no urgency to get some kind of pass rush right then. Like I said, he was seemingly trying to implement some kind of long term plan for the Dline that started with regaining control of the run D.

Edit: Which I understand very well how important that is, it is an old skool approach, but a run D is still very important. He just knew he was on the hot seat for having zero pass rush and he held fast with his run D first approach. Baffles me.

Yeah the Pats defense was impenetrable last year.

Smith, Nolan and DK all had the same problem that they couldn't adapt to changing circumstances- be it injury, adjustments from the other team, suddenly having a stud WR or whatever.

Think Quinn, Smith and Shanahan will all be more flexible.

Super interesting stuff on the disconnect between basically TD and Smitty. That won't go down well with some folks here. lol

No doubt there was a disconnect. Smith told TD to go draft him some good players, but instead traded two years of picks for Julio plus Akeem Dent, Peter Konz, Lamar Holmes, Dez Southward, Goodman, Toilolo et al

😜

No doubt there was a disconnect. Smith told TD to go draft him some good players, but instead traded two years of picks for Julio plus Akeem Dent, Peter Konz, Lamar Holmes, Dez Southward, Goodman, Toilolo et al

there can be a disconnect but thats no excuse for drafting below average players. the past two years have been much better drafts but i think that coincides with the arrival of Pioli.