Drug Laws As A Deterrent Discussion . . .

HolyMoses

I noticed in the thread about legalizing anything, many folks responded with drugs . . . Which got me thinking:

To what extent to you personally perceive drug laws as a deterrent? Is it the same for marijuana as other recreational drugs?

How would legalization of drugs change your use?

I don't think it would change my use at all. I drink occasionally, but have never done anything else, with the exception of one bong hit when I was in college.

I feel like I have a pretty open opportunity now. I am pretty sure I could do drugs with only a remote likelihood of prosecution. That might be white privledge though . . .

But with speeding, I would drive a LOT faster if it was legal. I would probably drive over 100 mph on the interstate if I didn't have to worry about cops.

Is that how it works with drugs? It's ok to do a "little over the limit" but doing harder drugs more often is too risky?

If pot were easier to aquire (as in just going down to the store and grabing some not going through friends or dealers I don't really know) yeah I'd probably smoke it a little more than I do but I doubt it would become a daily habit, probably just when the Falcons stress me out or I'm watching a really bad movie or something. As it stands I only smoke period (sometimes cigars othertimes weed) socially like at parties, camping or GSU tailgates.

Using any intoxicants on a regular basis is an asinine practice. My problem with pot is how prevalent and non nonchalant its use has become. It is not just the benign, harmless chillout aid that far too many make it out to be. It's not on the level of the harder drugs, but these jokers who make out like it's fine for kids to use, or even use in front of or around their children are still absolutely wrong. Mostly because it is much more harmful to a developing mind than to an adult (as are all intoxicants), and it teaches that it is okay to disobey the law, and that lesson has become way too common place.

To answer the question, sure, legalize pot. Decrease the tax burden to house stupid, but non violent offenders, since there are very few pot users in prison. I'm always in favor of hurting dealers in any and every way possible, so that would be a benefit of legalization.

Again, it's crazy to want to live your life in an altered state, but as long as they keep it away from children, stay off the roads, etc... to each, his own.

About 750,000 people are arrested every year for marijuana offenses in the U.S. There's a lot of variation across states in what happens next. Not all arrests lead to prosecutions, and relatively few people prosecuted and convicted of simple possession end up in jail. Most are fined or are placed into community supervision. About 40,000 inmates of state and federal prison have a current conviction involving marijuana, and about half of them are in for marijuana offenses alone; most of these were involved in distribution. Less than one percent are in for possession alone.

They aren't a deterrent. If they were then alcohol prohibition wouldn't have failed as miserably as it did or our current drug prohibition wouldn't be a complete failure, at least in the sense of the happy face they put on it for the public. The War on Drugs is little more than an excuse for abusive policing and a coded way to crack down on the poor, create community chaos, and disenfranchise them, and that is especially the case with minorities, and this is why I support blanket legalization, from pot to crack. Legalize, regulate, and tax them all.

Legalize anything natural, keep the things you have to create illegal. That'd be my stance. I sure sure wouldn't buy migrane medicine anymore.

Edited by Worzone

Even if you have never touched an illegal drug nor ever plan to, ending the drug war would have a distinct effect on your life.

Your car and home will be less likely to be broken into by addicts looking to score enough money to pay the black market mark-up.

Your tax money will no longer be spent incarcerating non-violent drug offenders.

You and your loved ones will be less likely to catch a stray bullet from gang members fighting over drug turf.