Matthews Vs Beasley - Good News, Or Worrisome?

BuckheadFan

Reports today are suggesting that Jake Matthews and Vic Beasley are having good battles in camp. Optimists are saying that the two recent picks by the Falcons are making each other better.

Not sure about that.

We can all hope that Matthews and Beasley are both Pro Bowlers (I happen to think they will both be...). But, Matthews did NOT play well last year - lots of legitimate reasons, but results are results. He let Matt Ryan be sacked 9 times and get hit numerous other times.

If Matthews vs. Beasley ends up being like Trufant vs Julio Jones, then we are all happy. But, it could also be Jamaal Anderson vs. an injured Sam Baker.

Take training camp "battles" with a grain of salt.

(But, if you remember, Tony Gonzalez RAVED about Julio Jones in his first training camp.

This kid Julio Jones is the real deal. He's the best incoming receiver I've ever played with. Come to think of it, it's not even close.

11:53 AM - 2 Aug 2011
Lets look for similar gushing about the Falcons rookies that look like this.

Meh, non-issue. Certainly not anything that can be deconstructed to give us an accurate expectation.

Guys talk each other up at camp. Guys talk new coaches up. It's the way of the world.

Matthews was a great prospect who projects very very well to a ZBS. The vast majority of his "he was bad last year!!" came during the three week stretch where the OL was in absolute turmoil. He played fine the rest of the way. He'll be fine.

Guest Gritz

There are still a few things I worry about concerning the Falcons.

Matthews isn't one of them. His toughness, work ethic and pedigree will have him playing at an elite level sooner rather than later.

Reports today are suggesting that Jake Matthews and Vic Beasley are having good battles in camp. Optimists are saying that the two recent picks by the Falcons are making each other better.

Not sure about that.

We can all hope that Matthews and Beasley are both Pro Bowlers (I happen to think they will both be...). But, Matthews did NOT play well last year - lots of legitimate reasons, but results are results. He let Matt Ryan be sacked 9 times and get hit numerous other times.

If Matthews vs. Beasley ends up being like Trufant vs Julio Jones, then we are all happy. But, it could also be Jamaal Anderson vs. an injured Sam Baker.

Take training camp "battles" with a grain of salt.

(But, if you remember, Tony Gonzalez RAVED about Julio Jones in his first training camp.

This kid Julio Jones is the real deal. He's the best incoming receiver I've ever played with. Come to think of it, it's not even close.

11:53 AM - 2 Aug 2011
Lets look for similar gushing about the Falcons rookies that look like this.

Look at it this way.

Who was Matthews going against last year in camp? Biermann and Osi. Sure he looked great against those guys but then when he had to face elite guys in the regular season he struggled.

Trust me when I say it's much better that he gets to practice against Beasley and the current group of dlinemen compared to what was there last year.

You have two badazzes making each other better. You get better by playing against the toughest comp. Period.

I hope Beez gives Matthews fits because chances are Jake won't see anyone that fast the rest of the season come game time.

Same for Beez. I hope Matthews pulls out every trick in the book. Beez will develop his pro game even better with good competition.

Andrew Hirsh @andrewhirsh Aug 4

Since the Falcons aren't practicing today, I'd like to take a minute to reiterate how good Jake Matthews has looked so far.

i lik how ppl are acting like the man didnt play on a bum ankle and a freaking Lisfranc injury... When he probably shouldnt have been playing.

He has to improve no doubt.. I just dont get how ppl dont include injury