Usa Today: Falcons Will Go 4-12

I don't have a problem with metrics, but I don't think they work as well in football as perhaps other sports. How many times have we seen a RB go off for a 2000 yard season and then have his entire career fall off the cliff? How do you measure that?

What do you do if you get the exception like Adrien Peterson?

Football has a lot to do with heart and want to, and those are things metrics are incapable of measuring. For that reason, I tend to prefer people who learn about a team in depth and assess it that way, and I tend to discount people who spout statistics as if they are set in stone.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a problem with metrics, but I don't think they work as well in football as perhaps other sports. How many times have we seen a RB go off for a 2000 yard season and then have his entire career fall off the cliff? How do you measure that?

What do you do if you get the exception like Adrien Peterson?

Football has a lot to do with heart and want to, and those are things metrics are incapable of measuring. For that reason, I tend to prefer people who learn about a team in depth and assess it that way, and I tend to discount people who spout statistics as if they are set in stone.

I use to wonder how a team could have a QB throw for 150yds, RB run for 50 yds and win the game against a QB who threw for 300yds and RB run for 125yds.

And its not like basketball where you can get Kobe, LeBron, and Wade and win a championship...lol

So Mike Smith can go 11-5 and to the playoffs in his rookie HC career with a rookie QB, but Dan Quinn goes 4-12 within a crap division, with an excellent QB and receiver group, and what will have to be a better defensive unit than last year? The Falcons drafted better than everyone in there division, and they play the easiest schedule. If Quinn can't muster 8-8 or better then he is bust. The only thing that will convince me that he is not a bust is if Ryan gets injured and we go 4-12.

• 3 weeks later...

I say 6-10 but I can see 4-12 with no run game

I have been saying 4-6 wins all offseason. And no, that is not actually a slam against the team. Too many young players in key positions, new offense, new defense, new blocking system.

It is perfectly reasonable to expect the Falcons to struggle while learning so much.

• 4 weeks later...

Somebody print this out and mail it to the guy. He'll walk out to his mailbox early saturday morning in his skivvies, sit down with his coffee mug, open the letter...

Then update his resume on monday morning...

Just another bozo in a sea of clowns.

Here's the thing: I think are very few, if ANY national sportswriters who actually take the time to really understand what is going on with these individual franchises.

They base their predictions on last year's players, last year's staff, last year's trends, etc.

It's a lazy, half-hearted way to do an assessment of a football team.

Here's the thing: I think are very few, if ANY national sportswriters who actually take the time to really understand what is going on with these individual franchises.

They base their predictions on last year's players, last year's staff, last year's trends, etc.

Dead on. It's almost as if they accept no more responsibility as a journalist than that of your everyday, fantasy football fan.

Hackism is alive and well these days & journalism died a long time ago.

My sentiments exactly. These national guys have been writers for years and there is no doubt they pencil whip these articles together as quick as possible. They don't come off as having a real passion for it, and I can see how writing these types of things for years straight would cause someone to start half-assing it after a few years.

Peter King seems to be a positive exception and he always seems to have a broader understanding of all 32 teams in the league by understanding off-season changes and such.

Another exception, but negative, is Ledbetter who covers a single team and still half-***** and rushes articles to hit his weekly and daily article quota.