Atlanta Falcons: Who Has Stood Out At Training Camp?

After three solid days of Atlanta Falcons training camp, several players are starting to separate themselves from the rest. I have excluded the top two players on the team because we already know how much they stand out. That being Matt Ryan and Julio Jones. But, as far as the other men are concerned, several are having great camps thus far.

The Falcons were not allowed to put the pads on until they had had two practices. So, on day three they elected to put them on and got to hit each other for the first time. On day three, Beasley finally got to show off what he can do and had a very nice practice. He was able to battle with Jake Matthews and both players received high praise from it.

On the first two days, different players stood out on each day, so after three days, here are my top five people who have stood out over all of the rest.

5. Dan Quinn: Dan Quinn makes the list for his outstanding presence on the practice field. Everyone, and I mean everyone have already bought in 100 percent into what Quinn want’s to do and it is a great thing to see. He is seemingly everywhere you look on the field. He tries to make time and talk to every position group as they go through their drills and doesn’t shy away from giving his input on how to do things.

The practices are scheduled a lot different under Quinn than they were with Mike Smith. First off, the practice is open to the public in the morning rather than afternoon to stay out of the hottest part of the day and the music is loud and proud all throughout the day. The players are feeding off of this and getting the large crowds involved, something I had never seen before. Quinn is making a great impact on this team and that will continue all throughout camp.

4. Davonta Freeman: Devonta Freeman came into camp and was expected to lose his job as the starting running back to rookie Tevin Coleman. So far, that isn’t the case. It has been very obvious that Freeman has stood out over Coleman. Every time Freeman is in on the play, he dazzles the crowd with his tremendous ability to find holes.

On top of that, his ability to catch the ball is really making an impression on everybody. He has extremely soft hands for a running back and has a real feel for how to catch the football. No matter who wins the starting job, Freeman will be used in the offense quite a bit and will make a great impact for the Falcons in 2015.

4. Vic Beasley: Vic Beasley started off training camp a little slow, but is coming into his own after a padded practice on day three. As a pass rusher, it is hard to show off what you can do without pads on, but he has quickly turned that around. Beasley battled Matthews very hard on day three with both players showing a lot of respect to one another.

Beasley recorded his first tackle very early on, but wasn’t able to hit the player hard. It was whistled as a tackle after Beasley stood him up. The fans already love him. More and more Beasley jerseys are starting to show up to camp and the crowds around him to get his autograph is ridiculous. I myself was able to get it after fighting through 100 people for it. Beasley will continue to get better as training camp runs on and into the preseason.

2. Jacob Tamme: Jacob Tamme was brought in from the Denver Broncos as a free agent to compete with Levine Toilolo for the starting tight end job. So far, Tamme has destroyed Toilolo and is running away with the starting job. His ability to get open is unbelievable. Quinn spoke on this as being very unique in the way he goes about it. He uses a technique like nobody else and has some of the best hands on the team.

The main thing you want out of your tight end is a sure-handed catcher. Somebody you can rely on. This is something Toilolo has lacked in his two years with the Falcons. Tamme on the other hand will catch the ball by any means possible if you throw it his way. He has already made several one-handed catches as well as a handful of nice sideline catches. If you go to camp, keep an eye on Tamme. He is killing it.

1 Desmond Trufant: Desmond Trufant is showing no signs of rust to start camp. A lot of players show up and are a little sluggish throughout first few days until they get back up to speed, but not Trufant. He has come in and dominated. Trufant picked off a pass intended for Julio Jones on day two and again put on a show in day three.

Trufant continues to improve year after year and will be among the league’s best sooner than later. One thing to knock Trufant in his first two NFL seasons were his poor hands. Trufant dropped several interceptions in his first two years and has made that a goal to improve in 2015. So far, it is showing. Trufant is shutting everyone down on the field, including Jones. In what has been a weak defense, Trufant has been a diamond in the rough.

http://bloggingdirty.com/2015/08/02/atlanta-falcons-who-has-stood-out-at-training-camp/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Trending%20on%20FS

Edited by FentayeJones
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to tell some posters on here that Freeman would be the starter, He's a very gifted RB. I think Coleman is going to be a great change of pace back as well, but Freeman is best suited to be our starter,, At least for this year.

Bro, you don't seem to get it. I personally do not WANT him to start. Not my type of back in any way shape or form. I don't care what anyone tells me. If he gets all the snaps, fine. I dealt with defenses and offenses I hated for a VERY long time as a Falcons fan. I'll deal with a run game I can't stand yet again. Done it before. You can't force folks to like what you do. It doesn't work man.

Bro, you don't seem to get it. I personally do not WANT him to start. Not my type of back in any way shape or form. I don't care what anyone tells me. If he gets all the snaps, fine. I dealt with defenses and offenses I hated for a VERY long time as a Falcons fan. I'll deal with a run game I can't stand yet again. Done it before. You can't force folks to like what you do. It doesn't work man.

?

You'll like it before the year of over... He's a very very special back and can do it all. Coleman is great in his own way of Running to ball, But he needs a year to get used to the pros anyway.. I do believe he is very gifted also. But it takes time to get used to the pros. I'm glad they are different , makes for a change of pace to confuse the opposing D. This Equals into a perfect duo with Smith being very very underrated himself.

He didn't direct that at you personally as far as I can tell. Maybe I'm missing the context here but you responded like it was directed at you personally. That's where the confusion would come from.

My apologies. I am the main one he went back and forth with on this subject. In fact I'm the main one on the board known for having anything to say that isn't kudos at Freeman.

You'll like it before the year of over... He's a very very special back and can do it all. Coleman is great in his own way of Running to ball, But he needs a year to get used to the pros anyway.. I do believe he is very gifted also. But it takes time to get used to the pros. I'm glad they are different , makes for a change of pace to confuse the opposing D. This Equals into a perfect duo with Smith being very very underrated himself.

No. I really will not.

I am still not in love with Matt Ryan. I started opening up to him just this past year. Would not cry if replaced.

You're in excellent form tonight. I look forward to reading this tomorrow.

For the record I have high hopes for both Freeman and Coleman. I can see Freeman as a +starter in this offense but Coleman with a much higher ceiling.

I am still not in love with Matt Ryan. I started opening up to him just this past year. Would not cry if replaced.

No doubt, but you have still warmed up to him in a non-insignificant amount. I think if a twinkle toes ballerina RB can impress on the field a similar thing will happen.

In any event, to each their own. I'm just way more excited for the defense as a unit to show improvement this year as opposed to individual cogs on the offense.

You're in excellent form tonight. I look forward to reading this tomorrow.

For the record I have high hopes for both Freeman and Coleman. I can see Freeman as a +starter in this offense but Coleman with a much higher ceiling.

Freeman will have to be replaced early on. I don't think he's much more than average. If he is then good for him, I will appreciate him. I am just not a fan of that type of back. Its a style of running I can't stand. No matter what the size.

No doubt, but you have still warmed up to him in a non-insignificant amount. I think if a twinkle toes ballerina RB can impress on the field a similar thing will happen.

In any event, to each their own. I'm just way more excited for the defense as a unit to show improvement this year as opposed to individual cogs on the offense.

I'm excited about the team overall. I think we can go all the way.

Nothing about dancing in the backfield excites me bro. Its about as exciting as a person popping gum non-stop.