Falcons Release Harland Gunn, Sign Pierce Burton

hjerry

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Atlanta Falcons have signed offensive lineman Pierce Burton, and released guard Harland Gunn.

The Atlanta Falcons today announced that they have signed offensive lineman Pierce Burton, and released guard Harland Gunnicon-article-link.gif.

Burton, 6-6, 305 pounds, was originally signed by the Minnesota Vikings as a rookie free agent in 2014 out of Mississippi. He is a native of Sacramento, CA.

Gunn, 6-2, 310 pounds, was originally signed by the Cowboys as a college free agent following the 2012 NFL Draft. He was signed by the Falcons in 2012 and played in 12 games.

Nice size and strong guy, he may beat out some folks.....

Name: Pierce Burton (Transfer from San Jose State)
College: Mississippi Number: 71
Height: 6-5 Weight: 303
Position: OT Pos2:
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2014
40 Low: 5.15 40 Time: 5.25 40 High: 5.36
Projected Round: Stock: same.gifHigh: PFA Low: FA
Rated number 53 out of 94 OT's 701 / 2252 TOTAL

Pro day Dates: 03/03/14
Height: 6054
Weight: 303
40 Yrd Dash: 5.25
20 Yrd Dash: 3.00
10 Yrd Dash: 1.88 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 26
Vertical Jump: 33 1/2
Broad Jump: 08'06"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.81
3-Cone Drill: 7.53

05/13/14 - Vikings Sign 15 College Free Agents: Pierce Burton, Offensive Tackle, Mississippi...Transferred to Mississippi from San Jose State following his sophomore campaign...Selected to the 2014 College All-Star Bowl on the campus of Furman University...Started all 26 games at RT as a Rebel in his 2 seasons at Mississippi...During the 2013 campaign was a member of the offensive line that helped produce the most single-season yards in school history (6,153)...A member of the offensive line that helped set a school record 751 yards vs. Troy (11/16/13)...As a junior, helped the Rebel offense score the 3rd-most points in program history (409).

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=122294&draftyear=2014&genpos=OT

I like how we move people if they don't show what we want. I'm loving it. Burton is a nice all around athlete and has that nastiness we have been lacking.

They have certainly been sending a message this offseason. If you don't do what we need you to, then we won't hesitate to replace you.

"The Pro Day participants started off the morning getting weighed in and measured, before powering up as many consecutive 200-pound bench presses as they could muster. Ole Miss’ Burton heaved up 26, which he said places him in the top 10 of all offensive lineman who took part in the NFL combines in Indianapolis. “I lifted 29 last week, so I was a little disappointed,” admitted the 6-foot-5, 303-pound right tackle.

When asked how he thinks he projects in the NFL draft, Burton said he has been told to expect the late rounds or a priority free agent. “Overall, I was happy with my performance today and I think it helps prove my abilities to the NFL scouts after the upsetting experience of not being invited to the NFL combines.”

Burton says he can play either offensive tackle position and is even willing to move inside to make an NFL roster. He said one scout told him he was surprised at how athletic Burton was. He has been training at a favorite spot for NFL lineman called 4th and Inches in Dallas."

http://hottytoddy.com/2014/03/03/rebel-nfl-hopefuls-put-it-all-on-line-at-pro-day-workout/

BY my count, seven O-lineman from last year are not with the team anymore - Gunn, Blalock, Baker, Carimi, Scott, Johnson, Fragel. I don't think we have seen the end of the O-line turn over.

yep...me too. I think there will be more cuts and signings there myself. I hope we do the same on defense...anyone (ANYONE) can be cut or signed.