Camp Report: 5 Things To Know From Day 1

hjerry

Hankerson Impresses: Leonard Hankerson was Atlanta’s best wide receiver on Friday. The former Miami Hurricane who signed a one-year deal in March, hauled in more than a handful of impressive catches, appeared comfortable in his new surroundings. He displayed versatility by flourishing out wide and in the slot and his teammates certainly noticed.

“(Hankerson) did good, man,” Roddy White said. “He made a lot of plays.”

Health Improving: Some of the guys were limited, but the only notable face missing wasLamar Holmes, who is on the PUP list with a broken foot. Offensive linemenJake Matthews and Joe Hawley participated in all activities, and neither appeared hurt. Running back Antone Smith looked sharp and didn’t seem to be affected by the broken leg he suffered in November. Smith believes he’s at 100 percent health and is almost in regular season shape. William Moore, Jalen Collins, Peter Konz,Malliciah Goodman, Marquis Spruill and Jon Asamoah all participated, too.Ryan Schraeder strained a muscle at one point during practice and was held out, but Quinn said the right tackle is fine.

Health on the offensive line is especially important after last year, when the unit was decimated by a glut of injuries. Well aware of this, Dan Quinn and his staff are trying to build player chemistry while avoiding any physical setbacks. Of course, it’s a difficult balance to find.

“The first thing is for the players first,” Quinn said. “Let’s make sure that we’re going to ease them back in terms of a rep count. So they’ll go just as hard on the plays — they may not go as many. Then we’ll add to them as we go.”

RBs Involved in Passing Game:Back in minicamp, Dan Quinn said running backs would be important to the passing game, and so far, that appears to be the case. Atlanta's quarterbacks consistently utilized their running backs — namely Antone Smith and Devonta Freeman — and were able to gain a lot of yards that way. Freeman was a reliable target in college, and Smith, who is a home run threat every time he touches the ball, can collectively change the dynamic of Atlanta’s offense.

Players Happy with Shanahan’s System: Speaking of the running backs, Antone Smith, Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman all expressed delight with the new playbook, which includes an outside-zone blocking scheme known for enhancing the ground attack. Smith went as far as to say the offense is “a running back heaven.” The wide receivers, including Rhoddy White, are encouraged as well, and believe a greater sense of equilibrium will benefit everyone.

Goal is to Win Now: With a new head coach in place following two consecutive losing seasons, many around football expect the Falcons to be in a rebuilding mindset. This is not the case. Although long-term success is undoubtedly the most important goal, Quinn stated that he's focused on prospering in 2015.

“This is not a rebuild in any way,” he said. “Everything we’re doing is about right now.”

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/blog/article-1/Camp-Report-5-Things-to-Know-From-Day-1-/dc2a6027-99a0-4613-b8fc-9b5e6c2afc36

Players Happy with Shanahan’s System: Speaking of the running backs, Antone Smith, Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman all expressed delight with the new playbook, which includes an outside-zone blocking scheme known for enhancing the ground attack. Smith went as far as to say the offense is “a running back heaven.” The wide receivers, including Rhoddy White, are encouraged as well, and believe a greater sense of equilibrium will benefit everyone.

Goal is to Win Now: With a new head coach in place following two consecutive losing seasons, many around football expect the Falcons to be in a rebuilding mindset. This is not the case. Although long-term success is undoubtedly the most important goal, Quinn stated that he's focused on prospering in 2015.

“This is not a rebuild in any way,” he said. “Everything we’re doing is about right now.”

Love it.

I hope check down passing isn't our bread and butter.

That will get old fast.

Think of it this way if our RB's are a receiving threat the defense will have to take notice. If they cover Julio, Hank or Hester deep we can hit Roddy, Smith, Free, Hardy, etc short and vice versa.

Yeah, Jones, Hank and hardy could be a nice WR core going forward.

I agree and I don't think Hardy is really built to be a boundary guy - he is perfect in the slot. Matt throws with great anticipation but he does not have the pinpoint accuracy of a Brees or Rodgers - he really needs those 6'3" tall trees like Julio & Hank on the edges.

I agree and I don't think Hardy is really built to be a boundary guy - he is perfect in the slot. Matt throws with great anticipation but he does not have the pinpoint accuracy of a Brees or Rodgers - he really needs those 6'3" tall trees like Julio & Hank on the edges.

I agree with some of this and not to make this a Ryan debate at all, but Ryan is one of the most accurate QBs in the league.

seriously hankerson was the best wr out there today. julio made some good plays but it was the hankerson show, he is a great size to and loved the way he caught the ball seems to have strong hands lets hope that translates to the field.

also I did see hardy make two good catches

Edited by jdawg4876

That will get old fast.

I think it will be. it will be about 10 to 20 yd throws and checkdowns to the rbs, maybe 2 or 3 shots down the field a game. we are going back to smittyball get excited. actually that doesnt bother me, that is when we played our most consistently

I would love for Hank to step up and be #2a to Roddy and we re-sign next year to pair with Julio going fwd. Save a draft pick.

Oh, I would absolutely love it! I just don't see it happening. Dude has done just barely more than zip for years in the regular season, including under our current OC.

There is a difference between a check down and throwing short passes as an extension of the run game.

The first is letting The defense dictate what the offense does. The other is forcing a defense to honor the short field which opens up deep shots.

That will get old fast.

If our line does not both stay healthy AND improve significantly, it will be.

And if that keeps Matt Ryan in one piece until we do upgrade the line, I will be perfectly happy with that.

A lot of games, and at least a couple of championships, have been won with check down dink&dunks (and all-time great defenses).

I think it will be. it will be about 10 to 20 yd throws and checkdowns to the rbs, maybe 2 or 3 shots down the field a game. we are going back to smittyball get excited. actually that doesnt bother me, that is when we played our most consistently

If our run game gets going there will be some big shots downfield off play action. I think it will be fun to watch

yeah.... oooook...