Dan Quinn Says Falcons Still Interested In Tackle Jake Long

hjerry

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Atlanta Falcons coach Dan Quinn said the team remains interested in free-agent offensive tackle Jake Long, who worked out at the facility this week.

The Falcons need more depth along the offensive line, particularly at tackle. Long, the first-overall pick in the 2008 draft, is coming of two ACL surgeries. The four-time Pro Bowler also visited the New York Giants and Denver Broncoswithout immediately signing a contract.

"I think we're interested in everybody -- not just one specific player -- but anybody ... that can help us perform better. Jake was certainly someone that came in and had an awesome workout here. So Jake, amongst others, are always guys that we're going to keep looking, keep finding ways to compete in that way, too. Every way we can try and make our team better, Thomas (Dimitroff) and I together are going to constantly do that."

How the Falcons' offensive line will come together for the regular season remains a question mark. Starting left tackle Jake Matthews (Lisfranc) and starting center Joe Hawley (ACL/MCL) were back on the field coming off significant surgeries. However, both were limited during full-team drills. Starting right tackle Ryan Schraeder suffered what Quinn called a "strain" early in Friday's practice and was held out the rest of the day.

Guys such as left guard Mike Person, center James Stone, and right tackle Tyler Polumbus ran with the first team during the practice. Veteran newcomer Chris Chester got some late work at right guard after starter Jon Asamoah rested. Asamoah is coming off a serious ankle injury, but did participate.

Quinn spoke about the dynamic of limiting reps for players coming off injury while still trying to develop chemistry in a new, outside-zone blocking scheme.

"I think the first thing, it's for the players first," Quinn said. "Let's make sure that we're going to ease them back in terms of a rep count. They'll go just as hard on the plays. They might not go as many. And then we'll add to them as we go. It's kind of line getting acclimated back into something.

"For those guys on the offensive line, I couldn't have been more excited to know how hard they worked to rehab. Now that process has begun to get them back fully underway."

Quinn and the coaching staff will get a better feel for how the offensive linemen are adjusting to the outside-zone scheme when the Falcons put the pads on Monday.

The Falcons have one lineman on the physically unable to perform list: tackle Lamar Holmes, who suffered a broken right foot during minicamp. Holmes remains on crutches and in a boot.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/172845/dan-quinn-says-falcons-still-interested-in-tackle-jake-long

Yeah, and the Broncos probably have an even worse offensive line situation than we do. There's a reason none of these teams have signed Long, and it's because he simply hasn't shown that he's healthy.

It is so much easier to cry foul and scream to the mountain tops that TD is failing us then it is to accept the reality of the situation.

Yeah, and the Broncos probably have an even worse offensive line situation than we do. There's a reason none of these teams have signed Long, and it's because he simply hasn't shown that he's healthy.

Or,Long is waiting to see if some team has an injury and will pay him more money.

I'd definitely be excited about seeing how our offensive line fairs with not only this addition but the blocking scheme change. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised one bit if we picked him up. The offensive line is a work in progress and this could possibly be a massive signing in getting it fixed. It comes down to the contract hopefully they can get one inked out.

Sounds healthy to me after the Giants said he passed his physical and worked out..... It's the money and or contract details.....

DQ also said... "Jake was certainly someone that came in and had an awesome workout here."