House Hunting: What Is Your Criteria?

Flip Wilson

What things are most important to you when looking for a home?

My wife and I have been looking for a larger home for some time now. We still have some looking to do but we have kind of settled in on two choices at the moment.

1. A home built in 1987 that has some amazing features including some cool exposed beams and vaulted ceilings, an awesome pool with a lot of rock work, and some really nice rock retaining walls and stairs. It is also huge and has some big rooms and big closets. The draw back is that it is very dated......paint is no problem but it has dated tile and vanities as well as old appliances in the kitchen.

2. A home that was built in 2000 and has recently been updated. It has been beautifully updated down to small details. It is large enough and has some cool features like a lot of built ins and a huge out building...No pool...questionable closet space.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife and I have been looking for a larger home for some time now. We still have some looking to do but we have kind of settled in on two choices at the moment.

1. A home built in 1987 that has some amazing features including some cool exposed beams and vaulted ceilings, an awesome pool with a lot of rock work, and some really nice rock retaining walls and stairs. It is also huge and has some big rooms and big closets. The draw back is that it is very dated......paint is no problem but it has dated tile and vanities as well as old appliances in the kitchen.

2. A home that was built in 2000 and has recently been updated. It has been beautifully updated down to small details. It is large enough and has some cool features like a lot of built ins and a huge out building...No pool...questionable closet space.

Just got back from vacation and two weeks covering for my brother in hot azz Georgia, but anyway...................

1) When I GC'ed the home I had in Alpharetta (sold to brother three years ago, had been using as crash pad since moving to DC), the land was given to me by my father for that purpose, sooooooooooooo free land was the deciding factor!!!

2) When we moved to the DMV, I had a year to find a permanent place, so we took our time. What was important to us was the area/location, the schools (public and private), and access. We considered Kalorama in DC, Northwest DC, Ashburn, Annapolis, and Bolton Hill in B'more. Let the wife talk me into this overpriced townhome (that looks like a Brownstone) in Potomac. To be honest, it did meet all of the criteria, but it was a helluva compromise for me!

3) Next home will be in coastal Georgia or low country SC, because I'm about to hang 'em up in a few years. Something on a marsh or body of water, beachfront if I can get it (preferred). Near a Hardee's so I can hang out with the old people for breakfast!!! laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

1. No large trees in the backyard- I spent half my childhood picking up leaves. No fun

2.Preferably 1 or two floors- I don't think my girlfriend will be healthy enough to lug around laundry up and down stairs.

3.Built after 2000.

As far as neighborhood goes:

1.Not full of old people.

2.Must have sidewalks.

3.No liquor stores anywhere near it.

4.Preferably mostly immigrants since they look out for you.

Acreage, not small but cozy no street lights or business close. Large open kitchen, plenty of porches, large utility room. We built our own after a tornado several years ago we got to rebuild it and do many of the things we wished we had done originally.

Edited by Sobeit

3) Next home will be in coastal Georgia or low country SC, because I'm about to hang 'em up in a few years. Something on a marsh or body of water, beachfront if I can get it (preferred). Near a Hardee's so I can hang out with the old people for breakfast!!! laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

It is nice being able to see the ocean out your window. cool.png

We just bought a house last week, and after living in a 2 bed, 1 bath house for several years, we were literally read for anything with a second bathroom, third bedroom, and a dish washer.

The mother-in-law encouraged us to look for something at the top of our budget instead of settling on a smaller house and outgrowing it in a few years. We did that and bought a 4 bed 3 bath. Has everything we wanted (most importantly extra shitters) and then some. We couldn't be happier.

I am an architect and help folks all the time decide. Most of the decisions are based on location first and then amenities. I am assuming you picked these 2 homes based on location/affordability so I would advise a thorough inspection on the 1987 home. It is more than likely on a bigger lot and the pool (if in good condition) is a huge win. Be sure to spend a lot of time on the basement/foundation. Look for any settling or cracks. See if you smell mildew or see any moisture. Other than that you can update the old stuff over time.

I am an architect and help folks all the time decide. Most of the decisions are based on location first and then amenities. I am assuming you picked these 2 homes based on location/affordability so I would advise a thorough inspection on the 1987 home. It is more than likely on a bigger lot and the pool (if in good condition) is a huge win. Be sure to spend a lot of time on the basement/foundation. Look for any settling or cracks. See if you smell mildew or see any moisture. Other than that you can update the old stuff over time.

We are leaning much more toward that home. The basement is completely finished so the carpeting prevents you from seeing the concrete floors but it is amazingly dry and clean. I asked if there was ever any moisture and she said, " No...He was very meticulous when he built it and waterproofed really well." I did neglect to say that both homes are in the same school zone that we are in now. The 87 home is in a better neighborhood and is on a 7/10 acre lot but the 2000 home is on a 3 acre lot on a corner kind of away from everyone.

After my current house? My next one will be far away from any neighbors. If I have another d-bag neighbor like the one I have now I might recreate scenes from "Falling Down."

I personally don't do neighborhoods all that well. I try, but its just weird being expected to say hi and chat while taking out garbage, and collecting my mail...also the looks when you do your groceries and new furniture.

After my current house? My next one will be far away from any neighbors. If I have another d-bag neighbor like the one I have now I might recreate scenes from "Falling Down."

Yea, no neighbors and at least 500 yards from any road. I'm dealing with a deranged neighbor over here too. It is not fun.

Edit to add: Also, need some type of underground bunker/basement to escape inside during severe weather. We have nothing like that here and it is scary and stressful when the tornado sirenes start blaring. This space could double as a in home studio for playing music too.

Edited by Googlywoogly

Land...10+ acres and a LARGE kitchen.

My in-laws have 10 acres and an enormous, open kitchen. It's a great house. You can ride 4 wheelers, shoot, and fish in the pond they have. They have an incredible outdoor fireplace, it's the place to go in the fall and winter. Their river cabin is on a rent to own deal with a tenant, so we haven't been able to go there this summer, and my FIL is probably going to put a pool in so they can enjoy outside in the summer too.

My in-laws have 10 acres and an enormous, open kitchen. It's a great house. You can ride 4 wheelers, shoot, and fish in the pond they have. They have an incredibly outdoor fireplace, it's the place to go in the fall and winter. Their river cabin is on a rent to own deal with a tenant, so we haven't been able to go there this summer, and my FIL is probably going to put a pool in so they can enjoy outside in the summer too.

That's what I'm hoping for. man, I just need to get away from people. Feel like I'm on vacation.

hard to say

I want a minimum of one acre....afraid to get too much because it becomes very time consuming to keep it up

some trees are a must...preferably with live oaks. big lots look ridiculous without a couple trees imo

open floor plan

for the most part I am not too impressed with a lot of the new construction going on right now. don't have a definite picture of what I want the house to look like....just know that I will know it when I see it

one that I was looking at went up for auction....over 4k sq ft, 3.5 acres, went for $250,000 on auction. I almost cried lol

...You just mow about 2 and the path through the woods.

Exactly. I don't want to have to call a tree surgeon every time a tree limb falls on my property. Let them fall. I'll carve out my homestead and patrol my acreage on a 4 wheeler with an AR-15 like they did in the old days.

Exactly. I don't want to have to call a tree surgeon every time a tree limb falls on my property. Let them fall. I'll carve out my homestead and patrol my acreage on a 4 wheeler with an AR-15 like they did in the old days.

Exactly. My ideal 10 acres is a "postage stamp" area cleared to build the house. The rest is 100 percent natural hardwood/mixed forest land.