Mississippi School District Fined $7500 For Opening Assembly With Prayer

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears to be more a contempt of Court issue than anything. That said, they were ordered to stop and they didn't. It looks like the right result.

Yep, appears there have been a series of incidents and at least one prior judgment that the school decided to ignore. Good on this judge, and a hearty "go **** yourself" to Fox News for being misleading and biased as usual.

I was pressured to pray at football practice & games all through middle school and high school. There were also occasional prayers at assemblies, but most were not mandatory. I never said or did anything about it, but I definitely resented it. This was in Atlanta Public Schools.

Yep, appears there have been a series of incidents and at least one prior judgment that the school decided to ignore. Good on this judge, and a hearty "go **** yourself" to Fox News for being misleading and biased as usual.

I was pressured to pray at football practice & games all through middle school and high school. There were also occasional prayers at assemblies, but most were not mandatory. I never said or did anything about it, but I definitely resented it. This was in Atlanta Public Schools.

I would resent it too. I teach my kids to pray according to a specific tradition. That's one reason they had one -- and only one -- season of Upward soccer. The Baptist Church that sponsored the league held the awards banquet on Sunday morning at 11:00. At their Church. Convenient? For them, sure. Not so much for us. Coercive? You bet it was.

My kids were in Church that morning. Our Church. You'd think an Upward soccer league would respect that, but apparently not these folks.

They also had to sit through a testimonial before every game.

I would resent it too. I teach my kids to pray according to a specific tradition. That's one reason they had one -- and only one -- season of Upward soccer. The Baptist Church that sponsored the league held the awards banquet on Sunday morning at 11:00. At their Church. Convenient? For them, sure. Not so much for us. Coercive? You bet it was.

My kids were in Church that morning. Our Church. You'd think an Upward soccer league would respect that, but apparently not these folks.

They also had to sit through a testimonial before every game.

7 Times a day?

I'm torn on the issue. I struggle to support these decisions. I understand not forcing your belief on others but feel it's impossible to support this rejection of the practice on the basis one student who is forcing his disbelief on the whole school. while at the same time the religion of Darwin(untestable,unprovable belief based in faith rather than facts) is aggressively taught and forced upon studentd.

To any Christian who doesn't have a problem with what the school did: imagine you send your kids to school and they are forced to participate in a Muslim prayer.

They are already being forced into Darwinism. Which is why my daughter will either be in private school or homeschooled.

It was a little while ago but I think my school covered Darwin all of about 1 lesson.

Yeah mine covered Darwin and his belief system for a couple weeks and the teacher basically said you can't believe in creation and be intelligent. It's considerably worse now.

Yeah mine covered Darwin and his belief system for a couple weeks and the teacher basically said you can't believe in creation and be intelligent. It's considerably worse now.

That teacher was an idiot. Intelligent design and evolution aren't mutually exclusive

If my kid went to school in the Middle East I would assume they would be exposed to Muslim prayers.

I would too but this is America. And in America there is no state forced religion. What they do in they middle East isn't the standard by which I judge my country

That teacher was an idiot. Intelligent design and evolution aren't mutually exclusive

My college professor looked us in the face and said we were highly evolved apes plain and simple. He later in that class went on to say if we wanted to be taken seriously as an academic being religious wasn't an option.

My college professor looked us in the face and said we were highly evolved apes plain and simple. He later in that class went on to say if we wanted to be taken seriously as an academic being religious wasn't an option.

Sounds like you unfortunately came across some bad teachers

Not talking any specific religion, but I would like to see the logical argument that disproves a creator.

You can't argue a negative.