Falcons Surprise Survivors Of Charleston Tragedy

birdz4i

Julio Jones and four other players on Monday joined members of the Mother Emanuel AME Church community to help those who are grieving.

150727_AMEVisitInset_JA_CP.jpg

Survivors of the recent Charleston shooting, along with other members of Mother Emanuel AME Church, on Monday wrapped up a visit to Atlanta, where they visited several local landmarks and met some special guests.

While taking in lunch at Big Bethel AME Church, the visitors — many of whom are Falcons fans — enjoyed an appearance from Julio Jones, Phillip Adams, Cliff Matthews, Jonathon Mincy and Ricardo Allen, who waited behind a curtain before surprising the crowd.

“Having the Falcons team come over and surprise us the way they did — we couldn’t have asked for anything more,” said Sharon Coakley of Mother Emanuel. “This has all been very fantastic. The kids loved it; they love taking the pictures and the autographs.”

The Falcons players in attendance spent time taking pictures, signing autographs and getting to know the people of Mother Emanuel, and by doing so contributed to the healing process the church’s community — and the black community at-large — is enduring.

“Just to show the people here we support them here in Atlanta. It was an emotional experience that everyone went through in their own kind of way,” said Jones. “Because this could have happened anywhere. I look at it like it could have happened back home in Alabama. You have to show people that you support them and you’re here for them.”

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/blog/article-1/Falcons-Surprise-Survivors-of-Charleston-Tragedy/bb9b97d9-f355-42c6-93cf-820e901bf8dc

I hate to hear that man. Prayers for you.

Appreciate it. We're doing well. The mourning starts to happen when the height of the situation dies down when it's as big and well known. Trying to do it at the same time is too much but it gives you time to let the sadness pass and reflect on the positives.

Appreciate it. We're doing well. The mourning starts to happen when the height of the situation dies down when it's as big and well known. Trying to do it at the same time is too much but it gives you time to let the sadness pass and reflect on the positives.

I know your heart is broken ATL, but i'm sure you are also proud of the positive examples of integrity in how your friends and loved ones lived their life. Very sorry for your loss, man.

Edited by Vandy

Had family and friends pass away in the shooting. Makes me proud to be a Falcon fan, little disappointed that Roddy wasn't there given he's from round these parts.

But maybe he contributed silently in some form or fashion

Sorry for your loss. One of the most amazing things I've seen from that church since the tragedy has been th congregation and families following the true Christian teachings of praying for healing, instead of retaliating with the hate that POS was trying to start. I can only imagine how easy it is to get mad and frustrated about that.

I am sickened, saddened, disgusted and dismayed this kind of mindless barbarity is still going on anywhere on this planet, let alone here in America, after all that has gone on before. Sincere condolences to your congregation. You all didn't deserve to be subjected to such an evil, heinous tragedy.

Guest facelessman07

Had family and friends pass away in the shooting. Makes me proud to be a Falcon fan, little disappointed that Roddy wasn't there given he's from round these parts.

That's rough man, sorry for your loss

However, it is very encouraging to hear from the reports that the entire congregation essentially showered that mindless fellow with love while he was there. How the deceased handled their last moments with him and how the family and friends of the congregation forgave him immediately in court, right to his face, is such a great representation of the love of Jesus.

Praying for you & your fam.