Windows 10 / Microsoft Edge, Anyone Else Got It Yet?

Tuggle'2

I upgraded one of my laptops a few nights and ago and overall I like it. Cortana is fun, but ore of a novelty similar to Siri. It does do a lot of other handy things though. I will say that I am actually impressed with Microsoft Edge (their new web browser). It really is fast as hell. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't support addons yet. I feel lost without things like Adblock Plus, Reddit Enhancement Suite, and Thumbnail Zoom Plus. I am sure all of that will change when the official release comes out in a few weeks.

So yeah, just curious if anyone else has upgraded yet and their thoughts on it?

I work closely with a Microsoft rep helping us prepare to upgrade all our stuff at work. I received the next to final build. It is basically 99% complete, but still considered beta testing.

Now that said, other people can go download the exact same thing I have and do it themselves from any torrent site.

I'm in IT as a sys admin and I've been running Win 10 for months now since the Tech Preview program opened for it.

I'm running Win 10 on a gen one Surface Pro and have been running various Win 8 Tablets since Win 8 came out.

My opinion is Win 10 is a completely and utter piece of trash on Tablets and Touch devices

It is fine for Desktops/Laptops.

On a Tablet Win 10 acts and feels more like WinXP/Win 7 than Win 8. I know alot of people hated Win 8 but most probably never learned to use it on a Tablet. Win 8 gave you a full screen touch experience where you could do anything you wanted through very fluid and very natural touch commands. Win 10 throws that all away and shoves Taskbars, Address Bars, Navigation bars, Tab bars down your throat at every corner taking up valuable screen space and it also removes alot of the touch/swipe commands that made Win 8 easy to use on a tablet.

I've given alot of feedback to MS during the Tech Preview through official channels and they aren't budging their lack of vision on Win 10 for Tablets.

Edited by MAD597

I think

I'm in It and I've been running Win 10 for months now since the Tech Preview program opened for it.
I'm running win 10 on a gen one Surface Pro and have been running various Win 8 Tablets since Win 8 came out.

My opinion is Win 10 is a completely and utter piece of trash on Tablets and Touch devices

It is fine for Desktops.

On a Tablet Win 10 acts and feels more like WinXP/Win 7 than Win 8. I know alot of people hated Win 8 but most probably never learned to use it on a Tablet. Win 8 gave you a full screen touch experience where you could do anything you wanted through very fluid and very natural touch commands. Win 10 throws that all away and shoves Taskbars, Address Bars, Navigation bars, Tab bars down your throat at every corner taking up valuable screen space and it also removes alot of the touch/swipe commands that made Win 8 easy to use on a tablet.
I've given alot of feedback to MS during the Tech Preview through official channels and they aren't budging their lack of vision on Win 10 for Tablets.

I think there was a LOT more pushback on the Win 8 touch screen OS. You have people like yourself who adapted to it\loved it, and then there's that very vocal bunch who told MS to bring back their start menus and taskbars - to **** with touch screens.

I think

I think there was a LOT more pushback on the Win 8 touch screen OS. You have people like yourself who adapted to it\loved it, and then there's that very vocal bunch who told MS to bring back their start menus and taskbars - to **** with touch screens.

I've ragged on Devs on Twitter and the insider tech preview forums about this but it is SO SILLY to have a Tablet AND Desktop mode in Win 10 where the Tablet mode is a TON worse than vanilla Win 8. I do not understand it. I know MS is scared of the Desktop user backlash they got with Win 8 but now that you have two distinct modes and have Tablet mode be worse then standard Win 8 is ridiculous. They could very easily make Tablet mode just as usable as Win 8 without effecting Desktop users in Desktop mode.

I've put together a new system and ran several of the early builds, when it was known as Project Spartan. I don't like IE, and found it funny that the only thing that crashed on the preview was IE. Edge seemed faster and I saw where some benchmark scores confirm that.

I finally bailed on the previews, but I definitely saw 10 as one of MS's better releases and will be generally well accepted.

Edge as a browser is fine, needs ad block and other TPL capabilities and needs a full screen mode with page forward and page back swipe commands in Tablet mode. It pretty much needs a mode to mimmic the Win 8.1 touch version of IE which is pretty easily the best touch browser ever made.

Edited by MAD597

The solution is simple microsoft should a separate GUI for touchscreens and desktops and they should ask during installation do you want to install the touch screen GUI or the desktop GUI I have windows 8 but never used the metro interface on my desktop I had to install a 3rd party program just to get a Desktop GUI which was stupid

The solution is simple microsoft should a separate GUI for touchscreens and desktops and they should ask during installation do you want to install the touch screen GUI or the desktop GUI I have windows 8 but never used the metro interface on my desktop I had to install a 3rd party program just to get a Desktop GUI which was stupid

The way they have to now is fine in win 10, their is an option to Boot to Tablet mode or Desktop mode and in 2 in 1 devices you can choose to swtcih to either mode if you connect a keyboard. The issue is they neutered Tablet mode instead of just maiking Tablet mode act like and look like Win 8.1. In Win 10 their is nothing MS is doing that would be ruined by a swipe/on/off taskbar like the Win 8.1 charms did and a full screen web browser and the ability to swipe through open apps instead of the current taskview.

Win 10 in desktop mode could just look and act as it does now and Tablet mode would just revert to a more full screen experience where the gui's were pulled out by swipe commands.

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded W10 today. I like it a lot but I have a few issues........

1. I hate Bing. It's a shame because I liked Edge but I had to switch back to Crome to be able to search Google using Cortana.

2. My Location History is turned on and for some reason I'm in Colorado. This sucks because any time that I look for something local....it gives me things in Colorado.

Lurker here but I'm in the know.

Microsoft will be rolling out win10 in phases from July 29 until October not sure what date. They're doing it this way because so many people have win7 and win8 currently and, they want to ensure it will work well on so many different platforms. Most of the OEM manufacturers will be shipping PCs now that are eligible for the upgrade straight out of the box. However if you have a custom PC or an older win7 or win8 PC you might have to wait a while until win10 becomes available for download via windows updates. You also have the option of purchasing a copy of win10 directly from MS or purchasing an system builders license from a place like newegg or microcenter and upgrade that way.

I upgraded my laptop on the day it was released, took about 5 to 6 hours to complete. I had to start over after some install error.

Mine upgraded to Windows 10 the other day and I haven't noticed anything different except the bottom bar is gray now.

I noticed some different chances, like talking to your pc now like you do with your phone.

I know if you go into C:/Windows/SoftwareDistribution/Download

And delete the files in that folder then run elevated command prompt by running as an administrator.

Type in wuauclt.exe /updatenow

Go to Windows update at the same time you've typed the command and click check for updates.

Should find Windows 10 automatically.

Edit : Read way too fast, but still leave this up for anyone who wants to know.

Sounded like someone didn't know how to get Windows 10 is what I read, and was wrong.

Edited by Zone#7