For All The Fellow Trufant Fans

Guest King Jigsaw

Guest King Jigsaw

WalterFootball.com is a website that many of us probably frequent more than we like to admit. His mock drafts aren't that bad but as far as content goes he's got a lot of it. Earlier he posted his analysis of the NFL Top 100 players list which players highlighted for being either underrated or overrated, with explanations of both.

At the end of the list he listed a group of 8 players that he felt should have been on the list but, for one reason or another, was excluded.

Here's what he had to say about my favorite Falcon..

Desmond Trufant, CB, Falcons - Atlanta's defense has been woeful the past couple of seasons, so maybe that's why Desmond Trufant hasn't been getting noticed. Trufant is one of the better cornerbacks in the NFL, and he definitely deserves a spot on this list.

I know that WF doesn't exactly qualify for mainstream media but I still think it's pretty cool to see someone who isn't a Falcons fan echoing the thoughts that many of us have - which is that Desmond Trufant is criminally underrated and deserves more recognition for his skill and play.

I think the Falcons horrible D over shadowed him as well a his lack of picks.... Don't get me wrong about the picks as I would much rather have a shut down corner like Tru than DeAngelo MeHall... Tru did have 3 picks last year so that is trending up as well....

For those that missed it......

2013 PFF Defensive Rookie of the Year

Desmond Trufant, CB, Atlanta Falcons

He snuck up on us, lost a little in a horrible year for Atlanta but shining brightly enough by the end that nobody could miss it.

Trufant looked a little lost in preseason but we’re now convinced he was just rope-a-doping us because once the regular season started he looked like exactly the player the Falcons needed from the draft. He ended the year with a league-leading 15 pass break-ups to go with his two picks, allowing just 53.4% of balls thrown his way to be completed.

2013-DROY-trufant1.png
That earned him the eighth-highest coverage grade of all cornerbacks and what makes that so special and him the Defensive Rookie of the Year, is just how hard that is to do as a rookie.

Look, for example, at how long it took Dee Milliner to show up and you see just how rare a feat Trufant achieved in a team with ranked as our worst pass rushing outfit.

If he could catch, he would be a household name by now..he has been the only bright spot on our defense though and I hope he can turn some of those PDs into INTs..and hopefully we create some sort of pass rush this year to help him out!

I think the ints will eventually come. That said, something I have said numerous times is that as long as he shutting his side down I don't really care if he is getting TOs or not. Yeah it would be a nice bonus, but I am happy regardless.

besides the top 100 being an absolute joke, its hard to put someone on that list from our god awful defense that is last against the pass.

I disagree. It's the top 100 PLAYERS. In a race to MVP he would be outcast because of the performance of his peers making this a crappy defense but if you remove the variables and just look at the individual, one should be able to make an argument that he's top 100.

But I do agree with you that it's a joke.

I disagree. It's the top 100 PLAYERS. In a race to MVP he would be outcast because of the performance of his peers making this a crappy defense but if you remove the variables and just look at the individual, one should be able to make an argument that he's top 100.

But I do agree with you that it's a joke.

Its also a popularity contest. You can't tell me Patrick Peterson had a better season than Chris Harris last year, yet one is in the top 20 and one isn't on the list.

Grimes...oh my. Dont put him in the same sentence as the others please. You will make me laugh.

Grimes has maintained his high level of play he left here before his injury...and he's still making ridiculous jump ball plays when it looks like he's out of position.

It all worked out in the end for us with his replacement in Tru, but I wish Grimes was a Falcons lifer, especially considering how he worked through the ranks with us.

Grimes has maintained his high level of play he left here before his injury...and he's still making ridiculous jump ball plays when it looks like he's out of position.

It all worked out in the end for us with his replacement in Tru, but I wish Grimes was a Falcons lifer, especially considering how he worked through the ranks with us.

Me as well... That whole Miko and D-Led twitter fight did not help at all....... Both sides were wrong and the Falcons lost a good one.......