Well This Didn't Take Long...

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Atlanta NAACP chapter calls for removal of massive Confederate sculpture in public park

Published July 14, 2015

FoxNews.com

Facebook

Twitter

livefyre

Email

The sculpture at Stone Mountain Park in Georgia. (AP)

A sculpture in Georgia larger than a football field depicting Civil War luminaries Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee and Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson has become the latest target in the push to purge the South of signs of the Confederacy.

The Atlanta chapter of the NAACP called Monday for the elimination of all symbols of the Confederacy from Stone Mountain Park, whose marquee attraction is the 90-foot-high, 190-foot-wide sculpture carved deep into the mountain.

"Those guys need to go, chapter leader Richard Rose told WSB-TV, referring to Davis, the former president of the Confederate States of America, and the two Confederate generals. They can be sand-blasted off, or somebody could carefully remove a slab of that and auction it off to the highest bidder.

"My tax dollars should not be used to commemorate slavery, he added.

In addition to the removal of Confederate symbols from Stone Mountain Park, located outside of Atlanta, the group says it also wants all symbols removed from state-owned buildings, parks and lands.

A spokesman for the park told WSB-TV that any removal of the monuments is up to the Georgia state legislature.

Rep. Hank Johnson, D-Ga., who serves the district in which the mountain sits, told local radio station V-103 that he is not so much affected by Stone Mountain Park as I am by the flag flying at an official government building like a state capitol or even the federal Capitol, a position, the seat of government.

I view Stone Mountain as more of a museum-type archaeological place of remembrance for those who want to remember back then and they have a right to remember back then and the park is there, he said.

The push from the NAACP comes on the heels of the removal of the Confederate battle flag from the South Carolina state house. A June shooting at a black church in Charleston, S.C., that left 9 dead has sparked debates over the Confederate flag's place in the South. The alleged killer, Dylann Roof, was white and posted numerous photos online of himself with the rebel flag.

Edited by SkerFalcon8710

Just my opinion mind you but I'm more offended by Jackson on the $20 than I am Stone Mountain.But I'm not African American so I understand my viewpoint there is limited.

As far as Lee is concerned I grew up with the romanticized image of him like everyone else in the South did. I'm sure somebody here can put forth some solid evidence that maybe he wasn't such a great guy (he did own slaves, and ultimately fought to keep them after all) but even so it always felt like he was that one confederate you could point at and still feel at least a shred a dignity and honor about the whole situation. I've got a feeling there will be a concerted effort by any "take down the statues" camp to go after his modern day reputation, not saying they'd be right or wrong in their reasonings but he's the obvious obstacle to any removal of the sculpture

Wish someone could think of a tasteful way to leave Lee and I guess maybe Stonewall (Davis can kick rocks) and somehow add Hank Aaron and MLK somewhere else on the mountain but I'd honestly be at a loss to think of one. The idea of MLK and a confederate on the same monument would put alot of people even more up in arms than if they just left it alone and again I'm not saying they'd be wrong.

And as for Lee, Stonewall, Hank, and MLK on Stone Mountain...

Wow, that would truly be a WTF type monument tongue.png

If you're going to put Aaron up there, instead put Hank Aaron, Dale Murphy, Chipper Jones, John Smoltz, Tom Glavine, and Greg Maddux riding horses on Stone Mountain. F Yeah!

I actually think a giant stone monument of famous Georgia natives and Atlanta athletes would be bad@ss as heII but it'd be a shame to take down the current monument to do it. Wish we had a second big @ss slab of granite laying around somewhere.

This is a really stupid move that the ATLANTA Chapter of the NAACP (assuming it is the position of the local organization, rather than just one guy spouting off.)

It completely undermines the sympathy leading to the much needed action regarding the Battle Flag in South Caroline and shifts the debate to a place unrelated to that tragedy.

I will be very disappointed if the national NAACP endorses this. It is simply not a battle that should be fought now, if ever.

Wut?

You do realize that the Georgia state flag is influenced by the Confederate stars and bars right?

GA Flag:

60-100-10156-3.jpg

Confederate Stars and Bars:

star%20bars%2013%20md.jpg

You do realize that the rebel flag is flying at several state sponsored locations in Georgia including Stone Mountain right?

8203725_G.jpg

And you think a flag flying at a confederate memorial put up by the wives of confederate dead in the 1800's in SC is worse? rolleyes.gif

PUDDING!!!!

Edit:

I'll explain: "PUDDING!!!!" has as much to do with your post as your post had to do with my original post in this thread: NOTHING

You have a real blind spot on this flag thing.

I know exactly where the Georgia flag came from, in fact, the history of the Georgia flag is PERFECTLY consistent with EVERYTHING I have expressed on this issue.

Because, in fact, there are two issues: 1) Battle Flag 2) Confederate Heritage.

The Flag of the Confederacy is an appropriate symbol of Confederate Heritage. The Battle flag COULD be such a symbol (but not a superior one) BUT, it has also been used as a symbol of segregation and hate. The Georgia flag was changed after Brown v. Board of Education FROM the flag of the Confederacy TO the Battle flag as a symbol of segregation. AND there is the whole KKK thing . . .

I am NOT someone who endorses eradicating references to the confederacy. I am not crazy about it, but I don't think it is that big of a deal.

I am not sure how I can make this any more clear: Battle flag: BAD. Flag of the Confederacy: OK

Got it?

How's this: I would be FINE with South Carolina REPLACING the Battle Flag with the Flag of the Confederacy at the Capitol.

Let me know if you are still confused. I will type slower and use a larger font.

2nd Edit:

I do not think the Battle Flag should be flying in Stone Mountain Park.

I never said that South Carolina was "more guilty" than Georgia when it came to flags.

However, I think having the flag flying OVER the State Capitol, or even in FRONT of the Capitol, is a stronger state endorsement of what it represents than at a quasi governmental entity that is Stone Mountain Park.

IF you think that because the Flag of the Confederacy is part of the current State Flag, I am being hypocritical, then I have been wasting my time engaging with you.

This is a really stupid move that the ATLANTA Chapter of the NAACP (assuming it is the position of the local organization, rather than just one guy spouting off.)

It completely undermines the sympathy leading to the much needed action regarding the Battle Flag in South Caroline and shifts the debate to a place unrelated to that tragedy.

I will be very disappointed if the national NAACP endorses this. It is simply not a battle that should be fought now, if ever.

It is a classic case of overplaying your hand. There has to be a distinction made between the state officially flying a divisive symbol with a clearly racist connotation and 100+ year old monuments erected by children and widows of Veterans.

To paraphrase a common saying, opportunism abhors a vacuum.

I think we have to have enough sense to distinguish between a state house flag erected to protest desegregation and a Confederate memorial and museum.

Though I have to confess, I wish they'd sandblast Jefferson Davis' stupid face off of Stone Mountain and pick a better Confederate representative. I'm fine with Stonewall and Lee.

EDIT: to note the absurdity kicker references about sandblasting such a huge monument -- I'm simply rolling with the discussion here.

That was literally the first thing I thought of when I read this story, too laugh.png

That is all I ever think about when I see his name. I'm not sure how anyone who heard that could ever vote for him. The hilarious part of it was that he was being dead serious.

Edited by Sobeit

I went with my girlfriend thanks to some people on here a few years ago and while we had fun, its a pretty weird experience if you think about it.To have such a grand structure of people who rebelled against a host nation up in that nation, but I guess its a nice gesture for the relatives/descendants of the group.

I'm not black or of southern heritage so I am pretty much an outsider looking in on this point. I guess the closest I could get would be if there was a mountain with Mengistu on it. That would last about a weeklaugh.png

The flags at Stone Mountain are a portion of the memorial. That is not a state government building. It is a memorial dedicated to the people that died. Memorials are not meant as advancing the thoughts or opinions represented by a flag. They are a memorial representing historic figures that lost their lives.

For example, there are memorials for the victims of Nazi Germany and you will not go to a Nazi memorial without seeing a swastika. For the money it would cost to take down the carvings, a much better use would be building something dedicated to the non-soldier victims of the Confederacy.

I actually think a giant stone monument of famous Georgia natives and Atlanta athletes would be bad@ss as heII but it'd be a shame to take down the current monument to do it. Wish we had a second big @ss slab of granite laying around somewhere.

The other side?

I went with my girlfriend thanks to some people on here a few years ago and while we had fun, its a pretty weird experience if you think about it.To have such a grand structure of people who rebelled against a host nation up in that nation, but I guess its a nice gesture for the relatives/descendants of the group.

I'm not black or of southern heritage so I am pretty much an outsider looking in on this point. I guess the closest I could get would be if there was a mountain with Mengistu on it. That would last about a weeklaugh.png

You have that backwards philosophically speaking about how our government was setup and how it has been so turned upside down. Federal Government existed only for the states and we were to be governed from the bottom up. States were host to the federal government not the other way around.