Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beef

Hawley & M. Johnson

looks like D-Led was listening to 680 and wrote a column off of it.

Ex-Falcons prospect Johnson retires from NFL

11:37 a.m. Tuesday, July 14, 2015 | Filed in: Falcons D. Orlando Ledbetter

falcons_mike_johnson.jpg

FLOWERY BRANCH — Former Falcons offensive linemen Mike Johnson, after suffering three gruesome injuries over five seasons, has elected to retire.

He has notified his family and will worry about filing his retirement papers with the league office once things are sorted out with his worker’s compensation situation. Johnson, who starred at Alabama, was selected in the third-round (98th overall) of the 2011 NFL draft. He was considered a promising prospect and was set to take over the starting right tackle spot after Tyson Clabo was released in 2013.But injuries got in Johnson’s way.

Johnson, 28, played in 18 games with one start. He served as the jumbo tight end in 2012, playing in all 16 games and catching a touchdown pass as the Falcons went 13-3 and reached the NFC championship game.

Johnson was on injured reserve three of the past four seasons.

Johnson chronicled his injuries on the Moving the Chains radio show on 680 The Fan on Tuesday.

“My second year, we were playing in Detroit and had what you call a lisfranc injury on my left foot, which is a career ender for a lot of people,” Johnson said. “It’s a tough injury to get over especially as an offensive lineman when you’re carrying 300 pounds. Had a healthy year my third year, came back as a starting right tackle and broke my left ankle and dislocated my foot. (I) had micro fracture surgery. I had plates and screws, the whole bit.

That injury occurred in a joint practice with the Cincinnati Bengals when someone fell on Johnson’s leg in a pileup. He was injured on the first play of the 9-on-7 inside run drills. He left the team’s facilities in an ambulance on August 6, 2013.

“It was bad,” Johnson said. “It was one of the those things where you look yourself in the mirror and say, ‘if I can get back from this….’”

He did make it back, but almost a year to the day, he suffered a lisfranc injury to his right foot.

Johnson went into detail about the nature of a lisfranc injury, which left tackle Jake Matthews is battling back from this season.

“It’s the first metatarsal in your foot, the big toe gets separated and you tear all of the ligaments through the middle of your foot,” Johnson said. “Basically, what they had to do with mine’s is put two screws in the side of your foot and kind of piece it back together with metal and hope the ligaments and everything in there kind of grows back together.”

After trying out for the Miami Dolphins last season, Johnson decided to call it quits. “It was so tough dealing with the ankle break,” Johnson said. “It was one of those things where I was like, if I can just get back and make it through this, then to have that second major injury within a year, it was tough.

“I rehabbed as best I could. Ran as best I could. Tried to lift weights and tried to make a comeback. Obviously, I had a feeling I wasn’t going to be with the Falcons. They were dealing with a lot injuries and needed to go in another direction.” The tryout was too taxing on his body.

“It was one of those things where I looked myself in the mirror,” Johnson said. “I was so sore for a week afterwards. My ankles were swollen. My feet were swollen. It was one of those things where you just look yourself in the mirror and say ‘I don’t need this.’”

Phil Skinner / AJC File
Mike Johnson, who starred at Alabama, was selecte

^^^another player leaves the Falcons and goes straight into retirement. Mike Johnson was useless for Falcons - we never got one dayum thing out of him and guessing he grabbed about $3 million from Falcons. Hopefully he saved most of it.

How good will a 90% Hawley? We saw what he looked like at 100% and it was average. We have some gullible fans I swear.

He was playing above average in the first 4 games last season and he finished out the 2013 season playing at that level. Both the run game and in pass protection

ZBS is tailor made for Hawley too

He was playing above average in the first 4 games last season and he finished out the 2013 season playing at that level. Both the run game and in pass protection

ZBS is tailor made for Hawley too

Hawley is hugely overrated by TATF.

I don't think anybody has ever said he's as good as either.

Not specifically, but he's someone we could and might upgrade from eventually. An ok player with good quickness--we'll see post injury if that's still there--but he's not very stout. In zbs you can get away with that at times, but sometimes you gotta just be able to handle that rush up the middle

Not specifically, but he's someone we could and might upgrade from eventually. An ok player with good quickness--we'll see post injury if that's still there--but he's not very stout. In zbs you can get away with that at times, but sometimes you gotta just be able to handle that rush up the middle

I'm not sure I understand the point you're making. Besides JJ and maybe Tru, we could upgrade anyone on the roster eventually.

I'm not sure I understand the point you're making. Besides JJ and maybe Tru, we could upgrade anyone on the roster eventually.

You baiting? Or not really getting my point?

My point is watch how he gets rag dolled. He constantly needs help with interior rushers up the gut both speed and bull rusher types. He's a depth guy

And, no, stone is not great either

Well, since you mentioned Alex Mack, he has a clause in his contract, that will allow him to void the rest of it, and become a FA after this season, if he so chooses, and the Browns' drafting of Cameron Erving imo, is pretty strong indication that they fully expect him to.

You baiting? Or not really getting my point?

My point is watch how he gets rag dolled. He constantly needs help with interior rushers up the gut both speed and bull rusher types. He's a depth guy

And, no, stone is not great either

Not really true. He was taking on 1v1's last year all the time until he got injured. That's why the offense changed so radically when Stone came in and we needed an OG to help him out on every play. Yeah he got help sometimes but all centers do, except for the best of the best.

He is what he is, a good center. Not baiting, just not understanding what you're arguing for or against. Nobody's saying he's the best in the league, but he isn't a backup either.

Not really true. He was taking on 1v1's last year all the time until he got injured. That's why the offense changed so radically when Stone came in and we needed an OG to help him out on every play.

He was ok last year. Best on screens. Still wasn't great in old fashioned power runnblocking. And he did not pass protect overly well. Simply adequately

He was, however, ten times better than stone

I hope we draft an OC in first 2 rounds next year

Well, since you mentioned Alex Mack, he has a clause in his contract, that will allow him to void the rest of it, and become a FA after this season, if he so chooses, and the Browns' drafting of Cameron Erving imo, is pretty strong indication that they fully expect him to.

Man, I'd love to get Alex Mack

Didn't know he had that clause. I forgot they drafted Erving

Na Hawley is an above average center. Slightly above average in both run blocking and pass protection, great when pulling

Say average in run blocking, average in pass pro, excellent at pulling and I'll go with you.

He's also not very "heavy handed"

Watch pouncey, Mack or Mangold and you see that terrific punch that just pauses a defender.

I do like joes flexibility. Literally the way he gets deep in a crouch. That makes him a great depth to starter guy. But tbh I think the LT and OC are your most important OL positions

Jake Matthews--who I think will be a great LT, could easily become an All Pro OC I bet. Great athlete, smart. Uses his hands well. His power base should be markedly improved after a true NFL offseason

I agree. He's ok when healthy, but he's no Alex Mack. I don't even see him as good as Mud Duck at this point

It's interesting that you bring this up. McClure went down injured early in the 2012 season and Hawley filled in admirably. Some on the staff felt that Hawley should have kept the job after McClure's return, but the football axiom that says you don't lose your spot to injury prevailed. McClure generally played well the rest of the way.....but.....that was also the season of his multiple botched snaps. And you may recall that one happened in the NFCCG, resulting in an unforced fumble by Ryan, a drive killed, and ultimately a Niner touchdown. Did McClure cost the Falcons a Super Bowl trip? One could certainly argue that he did. Would Hawley have gotten the team to the big one? Impossible to know.

Don't know if any of you listened to them today, but Joe Hawley and Mike Johnson filled in for Finneran on The Front Row with Steak and Sandra for 3 hours this afternoon and it was awesome.

Johnson went in to full details on all his injuries and why he decided to retire, and Hawley really hit on why our Falcons should surprise the league this year and his own recovery from injury status.

Hawley said he won't make it back to 100% at all this year. He's currently at about 85% and should be about 90% for the season. He says he's still going to take back his job from Stone even at 90%.

He really went in to detail about the ZBS. He said its soooo much better of a blocking scheme and we will see tremendous improvement on run blocking and even pass blocking. He said all of our current OL's came from a ZBS system or have played in one and excel better at it than any other.

Hawley was asked who will be the biggest surprises this season, and he mentioned Clayborn, Beasley, Durant, and the entire secondary on defense. He said Quinn's defense is 1000x simpler than Nolan's. They essentially copied to a T Seattles defensive scheme and they don't care that opponents know what it is. He said Quinn and Smith are placing guys in a position and telling them to just make plays. Virtually no assignment football. And he said the secondary is really buying in to this and killing it.

On offense, he mentioned of course Julio and Roddy as doing their normal things, but he said watch out for Hankerson and Tamme too, and specifically mentioned that Matt is raving about Hardy.

But, most of all, he couldn't stop saying how Freeman is going to be incredible this year. He said Freeman is the hardest working guy on the team and gives 110% every time he's in. He can block, catch, and the ZBS is absolutely perfect for him and he's killin it in this system. He probably said it 10x that Freeman will be the biggest surprise of the season and become a household name very soon.

Anyway, it was an awesome 3 hours listening to them. Very entertaining. They're talking about making this a more permanent thing and doing a "Big Uglies Tuesdays" where Joe and Mike maybe do a few segments as many Tuesday's during the season as possible. They were good on the radio, so I hope it happens.

So what? Just because the marks are all going gaga for Hawley's hopeful dream, should mean that Stone should just lay down and quit? James Stone has a daughter and a family, (unlike Hawley) so Stone is playing for more money just like anyone else. Stone is not going to just lay down and die because Joe 90% Hawley wants to get his *** kicked on the field again. Joe Hawley is making a huge mistake. 1) You're talking **** to your own teammate about taking "your" spot back 2) He is firing up James Stone to get even better than before. I hope Hawley keeps running his mouth. Stone actually has balls and guts and is willing to fight anyone.

If Hawley has two purposes this year, his purpose is to 1) Make James Stone the best James Stone he can ever be 2) He can get cut so the Falcons don't have to pay 4 million for his sorry ***.

Thank you Hawley. My prediction of Hawley and Johnson still holds true of both of them being retired by 2016, running football camps for High School O-lineman

It's interesting that you bring this up. McClure went down injured early in the 2012 season and Hawley filled in admirably. Some on the staff felt that Hawley should have kept the job after McClure's return, but the football axiom that says you don't lose your spot to injury prevailed. McClure generally played well the rest of the way.....but.....that was also the season of his multiple botched snaps. And you may recall that one happened in the NFCCG, resulting in an unforced fumble by Ryan, a drive killed, and ultimately a Niner touchdown. Did McClure cost the Falcons a Super Bowl trip? One could certainly argue that he did. Would Hawley have gotten the team to the big one? Impossible to know.

OMFG there is so much wrong said in this post. WOW.

First off Hawley NEVER started at Center in 2012. Only time he got a chance to be on that magical team was when he was ******* EMBARRASSING as a FB in the Redskins game. They didn't even use Hawley as the Jumbo Tight End, MIKE JOHNSON played the Jumbo Tight End.

McClure caused the Fumble in the NFCCG?? WTF!!!!!! Matt Ryan mishandled the snap.

I want this ******* guy banned just for this post.

I heard parts of it and this bothered me..... Sign Evan Mathis and let Hawley heal, move Chester to center and the depth at OG/C is fixed......

And it SHOULD bother you.......and ALL of us too. If this guy can come back and take the position not being 100%, then what does that say about our depth and reserves?