Uninsured Rate Continues To Drop Since Obamacare Took Effect.

13 minutes ago, kicker said:

The ACA had no real intent to control costs.  Tort was never even addressed.  There were no incentives built in for people to lower costs by taking care of themselves (exercising, eating right, etc). They had the opportunity to do all of this, but didn't.  The penalty for noncompliance is a joke.  The ACA was front loaded with revenue to distort the actual costs.  Now that costs are starting to become clear, democrats (your comments above) are just shrugging and saying medical care costs money.

I think registered democrats should have to personally pay for this monumental ****-up.  

There are a lot of food deserts out here.  So we could create long term incentives for people to open grocery stores.  There is more to this problem.

Diabetes is going to bankrupt us.

Btw, registered republicans should have to pay for the 3 generations of people they locked up with Reaganwith the war on drugs and the innocent brown people killed by the war on terror.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, lostone said:

There are a lot of food deserts out here.  So we could create long term incentives for people to open grocery stores.  There is more to this problem.

Btw, registered republicans should have to pay for the 3 generations of people they locked up with Reaganwith the war on drugs and the innocent brown people killed by the war on terror.

You mean the bipartisan war on drugs that Bill Clinton put on steroids?

1 hour ago, lostone said:

iT is a major problem but I'd like to point out there is also a stigma about diabetes.  That only overweight people get it (which is an absolute falsehood) and that would be type II your're talking about.  Type I has nothing to do with weight.  I have a multitude of diabetics in my family who were not overweight including myself (35 years) I exercise, eat a fairly healthy diet, but you cannot account for genetics and heredity.  

Yes, there are some people who are diabetic (type II) or borderline diabetic, that can change their prognosis with diet and exercise.  But this is not the case with some people, they do have to get on diabetic drugs along with diet and exercise to control their A1C levels.  

10 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

iT is a major problem but I'd like to point out there is also a stigma about diabetes.  That only overweight people get it (which is an absolute falsehood) and that would be type II your're talking about.  Type I has nothing to do with weight.  I have a multitude of diabetics in my family who were not overweight including myself (35 years) I exercise, eat a fairly healthy diet, but you cannot account for genetics and heredity.  

Yes, there are some people who are diabetic (type II) or borderline diabetic, that can change their prognosis with diet and exercise.  But this is not the case with some people, they do have to get on diabetic drugs along with diet and exercise to control their A1C levels.  

http://www.healthline.com/health/type-2-diabetes/statistics?utm_expid=.UPWvshEMTVCPhQDLyHpD0w.0&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Over 90% of all diabetes cases are Type II, preventable.  

We simply don't take care of ourselves.  

We have people making excuses for us, like the proximity of grocery stores, the cost of healthy food, the time it takes to cook healthy food, etc.  That's all bunk.  The excuses are lazy.  

2 minutes ago, kicker said:

http://www.healthline.com/health/type-2-diabetes/statistics?utm_expid=.UPWvshEMTVCPhQDLyHpD0w.0&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Over 90% of all diabetes cases are Type II, preventable.  

We simply don't take care of ourselves.  

We have people making excuses for us, like the proximity of grocery stores, the cost of healthy food, the time it takes to cook healthy food, etc.  That's all bunk.  The excuses are lazy.  

I agree in some cases preventive measures can be taken to limit the number of type II cases, especially, borderline type II.  If it was just a weight problem every single person that was overweight would get it and that is not the case.  

How does forcing low wage people to buy a product that they do not want to spend their money on help improve their situation.  Are you saying that people are too stupid to know where they should be spending their money?

Maybe we should make low wage people buy life insurance.  We could enact a means test on automobile purchasing so people with low wages won't over spend on cars. We could do the same for phones and clothing.  ****, why not just take outright control of their lives.  If they are poor, then they obviously don't have the ability or wherewithal to do what is necessary to improve their lives.  Right??

15 minutes ago, Flip Flop said:

How does forcing low wage people to buy a product that they do not want to spend their money on help improve their situation.  Are you saying that people are too stupid to know where they should be spending their money?

Maybe we should make low wage people buy life insurance.  We could enact a means test on automobile purchasing so people with low wages won't over spend on cars. We could do the same for phones and clothing.  ****, why not just take outright control of their lives.  If they are poor, then they obviously don't have the ability or wherewithal to do what is necessary to improve their lives.  Right??

It's a horrible catch 22.  The only true solving of the issue is education.  Heard a thought around community structure being the issue with education.  Because we segregate ourselves from money and not, we end up creating terrible schools in low income areas and decent schools in high income areas.  Gentrification is going strong in Charlotte right now.

34 minutes ago, lostone said:

Bootstraps ...sometimes it's not that simple.  Have a shred of empathy.  Anyone here budget and feed a family of 4-5 on WIC before?

Babies just appear, right?  It's not like it takes an intentional act to make them.   

I have little empathy for parents that can't figure out how to pay for their children.  They are irresponsible ***holes.  The kids are a different story.  

Edited by kicker
3 minutes ago, lostone said:

It's a horrible catch 22.  The only true solving of the issue is education.  Heard a thought around community structure being the issue with education.  Because we segregate ourselves from money and not, we end up creating terrible schools in low income areas and decent schools in high income areas.  Gentrification is going strong in Charlotte right now.

The education system benefits middle income people at the expense of low and high income people. It is the nature of allocating resources politically.

36 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Agreed, it is bs.  Healthy foods are more expensive, as are some specially formulated diabetic and gluten free foods.  

That is an absolute cop-out.  They don't have to be more expensive.  I can feed a family of four for less than the cost of dinner at McDonalds.  

While we are forcing people to do things, lets see what all we can do to 'make the world a better place'.

Boy scouts make excellent citizens.  We could force all boys to be boy scouts.  http://therealtroop555.com/ScoutmasterMinutes/Scouting Statistics.pdf

Studying music makes for better students.  We could force all children to study music.  http://www.pbs.org/parents/education/music-arts/the-benefits-of-music-education/

College graduates commit less crimes.  We could force all citizens to graduate from college.  http://all4ed.org/press/crime-rates-linked-to-educational-attainment-new-alliance-report-finds/

Citizens with conceal carry permits committee 24% less crime.  We could require all citizens to obtain conceal carry permits.  http://all4ed.org/press/crime-rates-linked-to-educational-attainment-new-alliance-report-finds/

Home school students outperform all other schooling methods nationally.  In reading, the average home-schooler scored at the 89th percentile; language, 84th percentile; math, 84th percentile; science, 86th percentile; and social studies, 84th percentile. In the, .  We could force all citizens to homeschool their children.  http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/aug/30/home-schooling-outstanding-results-national-tests/

By forcing our citizens to do what we would do if we were them, we could build the perfect society!!

Edited by Flip Flop
9 minutes ago, kicker said:

That is an absolute cop-out.  They don't have to be more expensive.  I can feed a family of four for less than the cost of dinner at McDonalds.  

One of our regular rotations is pork tenderloin, mashed sweet potatoes, and garlic roasted spinach.  This is one of the meals that we added because each food on this menu is good for my blood pressure.  I think it is less than $12 for the entire meal for the whole family.  

It never costs us less than $25 to eat at McDonalds

Edited by Flip Flop
22 minutes ago, kicker said:

Babies just appear, right?  It's not like it takes an intentional act to make them.   

I have little empathy for parents that can't figure out how to pay for their children.  They are irresponsible ***holes.  The kids are a different story.  

Remember those ***hole adults were once kids the kids.  Sometimes I feel you guys don't see there is a cycle here that helps keep 70% of people where hey economically are

I personally believe in bootstraps as the ultimate solution to anyone's problem.  But some people are missing the boot and/or the straps.  

Pasta with with a bit of olive oil and Tyson grilled chicken (1 bag is 6.99 and makes two meals per family), and a side salad

Roughly $10.00 total

A bottle of olive oil lasts 3-4 months, a bottle of vinaigrette salad dressing lasts a month, so these costs were not factored in, but still cheap, pretty healthy for a family of four.

2 minutes ago, lostone said:

This also assumes people have decent access. But apparently everyone does.  Food deserts are an illusion.

You can only help individuals.  Groups of people are by definition not open to outside help.  I have never understood why someone would live in a high crime area.  I grew up in some pretty rough places, but as soon as I was old enough to take care of myself, I got the **** out of there.

14 minutes ago, lostone said:

This stems from America going to the individual and away from the community.  It takes a village to raise a kid, but now that village is just the house they are afraid to let their kid out of.

I really do not like Reagan, or Bill for that matter

This is hogwash.  It takes parents to raise a kid.  You can spend as much money as you want and pretend to take that responsibility on as a state, but parents are the critical factor in raising children.  The reason the demographic groups that outperform the rest do so well is that those parents take personal responsibility for their children.  

37 minutes ago, Flip Flop said:

While we are forcing people to do things, lets see what all we can do to 'make the world a better place'.

Boy scouts make excellent citizens.  We could force all boys to be boy scouts.  http://therealtroop555.com/ScoutmasterMinutes/Scouting Statistics.pdf

Studying music makes for better students.  We could force all children to study music.  http://www.pbs.org/parents/education/music-arts/the-benefits-of-music-education/

College graduates commit less crimes.  We could force all citizens to graduate from college.  http://all4ed.org/press/crime-rates-linked-to-educational-attainment-new-alliance-report-finds/

Citizens with conceal carry permits committee 24% less crime.  We could require all citizens to obtain conceal carry permits.  http://all4ed.org/press/crime-rates-linked-to-educational-attainment-new-alliance-report-finds/

Home school students outperform all other schooling methods nationally.  In reading, the average home-schooler scored at the 89th percentile; language, 84th percentile; math, 84th percentile; science, 86th percentile; and social studies, 84th percentile. In the, .  We could force all citizens to homeschool their children.  http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/aug/30/home-schooling-outstanding-results-national-tests/

By forcing our citizens to do what we would do if we were them, we could build the perfect society!!

comrade

2 minutes ago, Flip Flop said:

This is hogwash.  It takes parents to raise a kid.  You can spend as much money as you want and pretend to take that responsibility on as a state, but parents are the critical factor in raising children.  The reason the demographic groups that outperform the rest do so well is that those parents take personal responsibility for their children.  

charter schools in nyc where its evident the problem is lack of a father tame a military school approach. Public schools fail most people not in the grade sense but in life. Nobody fits in the box.