Uninsured Rate Continues To Drop Since Obamacare Took Effect.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and not only do the deductibles make it virtually worthless for the price, premiums are expected to sky rocket with the expiration of the rollout incentives that have artificially kept prices down

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/how-affordable-is-the-affordable-care-act-118428.html

The reasons for the rising premiums are complex. Part of it, as Levitt noted, is simply that the carriers know a lot more about the health status and health care patterns of their new customers. Part of it’s rising drug prices. And the planned phasing out of certain ACA programs that were designed to reduce risk for insurers who entered the untested Obamacare marketplaces, are also causing carriers to price cautiously.

In addition, those plan cancellations – and the political outcry they caused in 2013 – still plays a role. To quell the controversy, the Obama administration allowed plans that don’t meet the Affordable Care Act coverage requirements to remain in place through 2017. Insurers are still dealing with the market disruption and economic fallout of competing with those noncompliant plans.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/how-affordable-is-the-affordable-care-act-118428.html#ixzz3fbFl3tfb

and not only do the deductibles make it virtually worthless for the price, premiums are expected to sky rocket with the expiration of the rollout incentives that have artificially kept prices down

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/how-affordable-is-the-affordable-care-act-118428.html

The reasons for the rising premiums are complex. Part of it, as Levitt noted, is simply that the carriers know a lot more about the health status and health care patterns of their new customers. Part of it’s rising drug prices. And the planned phasing out of certain ACA programs that were designed to reduce risk for insurers who entered the untested Obamacare marketplaces, are also causing carriers to price cautiously.

In addition, those plan cancellations – and the political outcry they caused in 2013 – still plays a role. To quell the controversy, the Obama administration allowed plans that don’t meet the Affordable Care Act coverage requirements to remain in place through 2017. Insurers are still dealing with the market disruption and economic fallout of competing with those noncompliant plans.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/how-affordable-is-the-affordable-care-act-118428.html#ixzz3fbFl3tfb

Trout still trying to live the dream. It's too bad none of these newly insured people can afford premiums or deductibles in many cases. Not mentioning regular middle class folks such (who had great insurance before) as most of us are having premiums, deductibles, copay's, all go up.

My mother was able to sign up for health insurance last month after not having insurance for over three years (I forced the issue, I was very tired of her not getting the medical care she needed) and numerous, fairly serious pre-existing conditions.

I know it has a lot of negative effects, but the law has at least been good for her.

My mother was able to sign up for health insurance last month after not having insurance for over three years (I forced the issue, I was very tired of her not getting the medical care she needed) and numerous, fairly serious pre-existing conditions.

I know it has a lot of negative effects, but the law has at least been good for her.

I respect the preexisting condition clause that allows people to get health insurance no matter what their health status is, but what about her costs?

I like stories like this. And I’ve heard a few from people I come across myself.

Maybe some of us can at least be glad that we can still afford our higher-priced insurance,

AND also be glad for people like this man’s mother that now HAVE health insurance when previously they did not.

the preexisting conditions clause had to go. And in my opinion, that's the only real benefit (albeit a huge one) from the new law. All of the other **** has been terrible, frankly.

One of my best friends had her life saved twice. First it was a broken arm that required surgery. During the surgery, they realized something wasn't right and were soon able to diagnose her with multiple myeloma, which typically kills you within a few years. But, due to the early diagnosis, they were able to treat it.

Her life was saved a second time when she was fired from her job but was able to get onto Obamacare and continue her treatment. She is in remission and healthy.

Do NOT tell her (or me) that Obamacare is a colossal failure.

One of my best friends had her life saved twice. First it was a broken arm that required surgery. During the surgery, they realized something wasn't right and were soon able to diagnose her with multiple myeloma, which typically kills you within a few years. But, due to the early diagnosis, they were able to treat it.

Her life was saved a second time when she was fired from her job but was able to get onto Obamacare and continue her treatment. She is in remission and healthy.

Do NOT tell her (or me) that Obamacare is a colossal failure.

People who benefited are going to feel good. People who paid more for less are going to feel bad. Pretty simple equation.

Well it is not like they did not know. It was never intended to be anything but yet another giant screw job of the American people. Plus it has forced people to get it that likely would not have got it and will just be paying premiums for years without using it.

People who benefited are going to feel good. People who paid more for less are going to feel bad. Pretty simple equation.

This statement would have been more appropriate in response to what I posted. My mom benefitted. HM's friend had her life saved. Not really fair to make that comment towards her story.

In regard to your statement though, that's human nature. The auto bailouts were bad, but I was in favor of them because my dad was in the car business. We'll all change our views and go against the grain when it benefits us or our families. In most circumstances, at least.

Yup, I'm paying more for less benefits. Deductible has doubled, co-pay has doubled, prescription co-pays doubled and tier 3 tripled and now the company I work for has their costs increased 25% which will either mean a further reduction in benefits or we'll have to pay more of the premium. They have no choice in order to reduce their overhead so we can stay competitive. Hard for me to buy the sunshine pumping with those facts staring me in the face...

I'd rather people feel bad for paying a little more for insurance (the majority of which can probably afford the increase) than for people to go without life-saving medical treatment. People dying because of preexisting condition bans and other flaws with the previous system versus some people paying a little more out of pocket a year.

This statement would have been more appropriate in response to what I posted. My mom benefitted. HM's friend had her life saved. Not really fair to make that comment towards her story.

In regard to your statement though, that's human nature. The auto bailouts were bad, but I was in favor of them because my dad was in the car business. We'll all change our views and go against the grain when it benefits us or our families. In most circumstances, at least.

I've long thought that a lack of empathy is the cause of some very bad public policies. It's like Republicans who rail for years against LGBT members. But then suddenly, when they find out their own son is gay, they realize the harm that society has done as a consequence of that rhetoric. What is so hard about thinking (beforehand) of other people's situations for a few minutes, and trying to understand their perspective and have empathy for their situation?

Yup, I'm paying more for less benefits. Deductible has doubled, co-pay has doubled, prescription co-pays doubled and tier 3 tripled and now the company I work for has their costs increased 25% which will either mean a further reduction in benefits or we'll have to pay more of the premium. They have no choice in order to reduce their overhead so we can stay competitive. Hard for me to buy the sunshine pumping with those facts staring me in the face...

So what is the solution? Deductibles and premiums were skyrocketing before the law. The premiums increases have leveled off some since the law. Not sure if the change in deductibles has altered.

What policies do you promote that would have produced less rise in premiums and deductibles while still providing insurance to people who need it?

So how do you have the preexisting condition clause without the individual mandate?

You have a waiting period for new a diagnosis. They do it with hazard insurance in Coastal areas. No coverage if a storm has been named, until that storm passes. It keeps people from running out and getting coverage as soon as the **** is about to hit the fan.

They don't want everyone buying insurance, they planned to use the individual mandate penalty as a funding mechanism. The ACA loses money for the government. So every individual that signs up costs the taxpayer money. The ones that don't sign up pay the penalty, which helps the government, but ends up costing the health care industry money.

So what is the solution? Deductibles and premiums were skyrocketing before the law. The premiums increases have leveled off some since the law. Not sure if the change in deductibles has altered.

What policies do you promote that would have produced less rise in premiums and deductibles while still providing insurance to people who need it?

The free market. If you want it you pay for it. Having others pay for it under threat of force is criminal and nothing less