Atlanta Falcons: Top 5 Rbs Of All Time

On O# William Andrews (Smiley) will always be my favorite Falcon of all time ,, He was amazingly good on a not so good team. He in my mind should have been the MVP every year he was here. So so underrated.

On D# Keith Brookng was the most underrated D# player of all time on this team IMO also. I loved his passion and love for the game, and that is what made him give 100% every play !! His passion FTG was unsurpassed.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had the distinct pleasure of being able to see Andrews play. That guy was the best all around back I've ever watched. Played like he hated everyone but always had this smile on his face. He would contribute to the teams success anyway possible. No ego, not selfish and didn't think any job he was asked to do was beneath him. Two words "Class Act".

No way Michael Turner is suppose to be ranked that high. When rankings are done in the NFL, people tend to lean toward players they have seen play recently, vs players they may have not seen play the game. My rankings, would be as follows:

1. William Andrews........unquestionably the best. couldve been top 10 rushing if he hadnt got hurt. wouldve been a lock for the hall of fame.

2. Jamal Anderson....... power, underrated hands out of the backfield. deceptive speed for his size.

3. Gerald Riggs...........power, speed, and a juke or two.

4. Lynn Cain.............. one of the most underrated falcons ever. Consistently put up good numbers as the number two back. receiving, deceptive speed.

5. Warrick Dunn/ Michael Turner............Dunn had deceptive power in a small frame. decent speed, good moves. Michael Turner, power, deceptive speed for his size.

Edited by atlking

No way Michael Turner is suppose to be ranked that high. When rankings are done in the NFL, people tend to lean toward players they have seen play recently, vs players they may have not seen play the game. My rankings, would be as follows:

1. William Andrews........unquestionably the best. couldve been top 10 rushing if he hadnt got hurt. wouldve been a lock for the hall of fame.

2. Jamal Anderson....... power, underrated hands out of the backfield. deceptive speed for his size.

4. Lynn Cain.............. one of the most underrated falcons ever. Consistently put up good numbers as the number two back. receiving, deceptive speed.

5. Warrick Dunn/ Michael Turner............Dunn had deceptive power in a small frame. decent speed, good moves. Michael Turner, power, deceptive speed for his size.

Cain was a nice supplemental piece, but nothing close to the game changer factor a in team's offense Turner was in his prime 2008-2011. And Turner missed some his prime years on SD's bench behind LT.

You're joking right?

Cain - 6 seasons, 0 All Pro, 0 Pro Bowl, 3300 total yards, 25 total TDs, 3.7 ypc

Turner - 5 seasons, 1 All Pro, 2 Pro Bowl, 6538 total yards, 61 total TDs, 4.3 ypc

Not that he would be over Andrews for me, because he wouldn't -

But - if Turner could catch the ball just a little better - he'd be my extremely strong #2 pick. As a running back and a touchdown machine - he was awesome. He was a good blocker. But, the guy had butter fingers when it came to receiving.

There is a distinct similairity between why these 5 guys did well and others that boosted better careers failed. That is.... an Good Oline! All these guys had a great oline in front of em'. Bad Olines are Running back and QB Killers! ( except for Ryan of course, it acually made him beter)

Turner was one of the best backs in the league his first few years here. '08 he was borderline unstoppable.

1). Andrews........no contest

2). Riggs

3) Anderson

4) Turner

5) Cain / Dunn

Andrews added a toughness and fighting attitude to this team that can't be measured by statistics. He bowled over player after player, game after game. He gave his all out there on the field. I remember watching him lay exhausted on the field in the 4th quarter then getting up and bowling over someone else on the next play. He had no qiit in him. Riggs and Anderson were pretty freakin' good too, but Andrews was a very special player.

Turner was one of the best backs in the league his first few years here. '08 he was borderline unstoppable.

No doubt, but if you look at how he was used, he wasnt as VERSATILE as the other backs, but he was good, no doubt about that. Really, if you look at that list, outside of Dunn and Cain, you can just about switch between Jam, Riggs and Turner. Andrews is THE clear cut best back of the whole bunch. Anybody who never saw him play, dont know what they missed. You also have to look at the ERA that Andrews, Riggs and to some extent, Jam played in. Back then, football was STILL football. It wasnt this arena league crap we see now. The game was more run oriented and more run defense oriented. To excel back then as a back, you WERE GOOD..........

Edited by atlking
  • 1 month later...

1). Andrews........no contest

2). Riggs

3) Anderson

4) Turner

5) Cain / Dunn

Andrews added a toughness and fighting attitude to this team that can't be measured by statistics. He bowled over player after player, game after game. He gave his all out there on the field. I remember watching him lay exhausted on the field in the 4th quarter then getting up and bowling over someone else on the next play. He had no qiit in him. Riggs and Anderson were pretty freakin' good too, but Andrews was a very special player.

I agree with this list whole heartedly! Thus my sig and the videos I've posted on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMZGwCHMT4zyyL_jJAqw24w

Edited by Hawkaida

Great list - spot on!

I am one of those who will always have the "What If?" syndrome over William Andrews. He was my favorite player in the history of the Falcons - and I was devastated when he got hurt.

I always felt that if he had finished his career, he would have been an absolute shoe-in for the HOF!

The guy wasn't just a great running back and a great receiver, he was brutal. He ran through and over them more than around them. I loved watching him play - and I'll always have great memories of those games because of him.

Andrews was my favorite player also. I really enjoyed watching William run over players and drag half the team down the field with him.

1. Andrews

2. Turner

3. Anderson

4. Riggs

5. Hampton

Honorable mentions: Malone, Duckett, Heyward, Norwood, Cain, Dunn

Jamal Anderson ran for less yards in his ATL career than Warrick Dunn. And Dunn played two less seasons than Jamal. Dunn had three seasons over 1100 yards with the Falcons. Jamal did that once. Putting Dunn with Jerious Norwood is ridiculous. People seem to want to stretch Jamal's one huge season into some giant career, but it just wasn't there.

Andrews was Bo Jackson before Bo Jackson. Dude could do it all and was doing it better than just about anyone else. I was very young but man, I loved watching him play...

Fixed that one for you.

In his prime years, no one was a more complete, a more dangerous, a more versatile back than William Andrews. He was the first back in the history of the NFL to have two seasons with over 2000 combined rushing/receiving yards.

I concur with this list, although I can see how some might want to reshuffle the order. Without doubt, William Andrews deserves the number one spot. Having played fullback at Auburn, very few expected him to be the back he became in the NFL. My high school played a William Andrews led Thomasville team for the AAA State Championship. We were winning until he ran over us in the last minutes of the fourth quarter. He just kept pounding and never quit. He was special, and could have had an HOF career if not for injury.

William Andrews' career stats compare quite favorably with the also injury-shortened career of Gale Sayers.

The difference?

Sayers played for the media-darling Bears and was part of a feel-good movie.

Andrews played for the media-pariah Falcons.

Same problem with Tommy Nobis.

Nobis was every bit as good as Butkus and Nitzchke.

But the media loved Green Bay and the Chicago.