Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blkbigdog35

Atlanta Hawks Summer League Thread

98 posts in this topic

I caught the last quarter of the GS game

GR.III looks great. Walter sucks. Moose played some great defense, and Patterson was really hustling. Nobody else really made an impact.

I caught the last quarter of the GS game

GR.III looks great. Walter sucks. Moose played some great defense, and Patterson was really hustling. Nobody else really made an impact.

Patterson aint all that. Petteway has really impressed me

I hate to use this comparison, but I think Holt could have a Dellavadova like impact for a team as a backup.

I wouldn't mind trading Mack and giving him the 3rd string duties.

I hate to use this comparison, but I think Holt could have a Dellavadova like impact for a team as a backup.

Yea Holt really has impressed me these last couple of games

Yea Holt really has impressed me these last couple of games

He was solid last year as well. He's nothing special, but he annoys on defense and just finds a way to put the ball in the hoop.

DurtyBurdz155 and AF89 like this

Hawks Win Wild Summer League Game vs. Warriors

David Dow/NBAE/Getty Images

Posted: Jul 12, 2015

Summer League is more about developing young players, checking out rookies for the first time and getting a look at undrafted free agents than it is about winning and losing.

But that doesn't mean players don't want to win, and Sunday night's game against the Warriors was filled with high drama on the scoreboard.

After falling behind by as many as 8 in the third quarter, the Hawks rallied to close the gap behind newcomer Glenn Robinson III, then see-sawed with Golden State for the final 7 minutes.

Second-year Summer League sensation Stephen Holt dropped a left-handed floater in to tie the game at 70 with just over a minute remaining. From there, both teams had chances but couldn't pull in front. Holt got a steal in the open court and found Robinson, who was fouled. He made 1 of 2 free throws, setting the stage for a wild final 25 seconds.

After the Warriors missed at the rim, Lamar Patterson couldn't connect on two free throws. Golden State raced to the other end and found LaDontae Henton open in the corner, but his three went halfway down before popping out at the buzzer.

Edy Tavares looked much better in his second game of the week. He finished 3-5 from the field, scoring 6 points to go with 6 rebounds and 5 blocks. Mike Muscala added 7 points and 5 rebounds, along with 3 assists. He was especially effective in driving and dishing to open shooters once he drew a crowd.

As a team, the Hawks looked much better defensively, holding the Warriors to 70 points after giving up 86 to Denver on Friday. Golden State shot just 32% from the field, and the Hawks forced 16 turnovers.

Robinson, who played his first game this week after being a late addition to the roster, and Holt finished with 13 points apiece to lead Atlanta. The Hawks evened their Summer League record at 1-1 and will finish pool play Monday at 6:00 against the D-League Select team.

Story by Jaryd WilsonO

How about Nate Robinson? Or just about any of Derrick Rose's back ups?

Edy is finally getting settled. Glenn III pretty much picking up where he left off last summer, just on our roster now. Competition is going to get interesting.

I know some are not excited about summer league ball but it gives you a great idea of our depth going forward we could have some very solid additions to the 15 man roster.

Hawks vs D-League Select final score: 2nd quarter dooms Atlanta in 84-74 loss

The Hawks lose their third game in Las Vegas, in a game the Hawks were never really in.

http://www.sbnation.com/users/Harry%20Lyles%20Jr.?_ga=1.254753547.2058068573.1404693737

 TWEET (7) SHARE (4) PIN

The Atlanta Hawks switched up their starting lineup for Monday's game, starting DeAndre Kane, Lamar Patterson, Glenn Robinson III, Brandon Ashley, and Edy Tavares agains the D-League Select squad. Mike Muscala, although suited up, did not warm up, and saw no action in this one.

Glenn Robinson III continued to impress, throwing down a thunderous dunk midway through the first quarter. The D-League Select team and Hawks traded baskets all throughout the quarter. Robinson III and Trey McKinney-Jones led the Hawks with 4 points apiece in the quarter. We also saw Jon Horford and Tomas Bellas for the first time this summer, as neither played any minutes the first two games. Bellas closed out the first quarter with a jumper, giving the Hawks a 21-20 lead.

The second quarter was a much different story. The D-League select found themselves on a 9-0 run in the first half of the quarter. Edy Tavares picked up his fourth foul with 6:59 left in the quarter, with about six minutes of playing time. Justin Dentmon was the story of the quarter for the D-League Select, scoring 12 consecutive points in the quarter to help his team open up a 46-32 lead. Robinson III led the Hawks in scoring for the quarter with four points, in what was an offensive struggle for the team. The D-League Select would lead at the half, 50-34.

The D-League Select would extend their lead in the third, as the Hawks offense continued to struggle. The highlight for the Hawks was yet another powerful dunk from Glenn Robinson III, who continued to display his great athleticism. D-League Select led 67-49 at the end of the quarter.

The fourth quarter was largely the same as the second and third, although we did see more Edy Tavares. Tavares got started with an alley-oop from Lamar Patterson a few minutes into the quarter. He also knocked down a pair of free throws in the quarter, and followed that up with another dunk, this one assisted by Terran Petteway. The Hawks were able to narrow the gap in garbage time, and lost by an 84-74 final score.

Justin Dentmon finished with 15 total points after going on a tear for the D-League Select in the second quarter. Scotty Hopson had 11 points, and Casey Prather finished with 13, most of which he accumulated in the fourth quarter.

Lamar Patterson led the Hawks in scoring with 15 points on 5-of-12 shooting, and also contributed five rebounds. Edy Tavares posted a double-double, with 12 points and 10 rebounds. Glenn Robinson III posted 10 points for the Hawks, continuing to display highlight-reel explosiveness.

Although the Hawks began their pre-tournament journey in Las Vegas with a 1-2 mark, we saw a lot of different things from different prospects that could show production for the Hawks in the future, if they continue to develop. Stay tuned as tournament play begins later in the week.

I thought the foul "trouble" comment was funny.

They get 10 fouls

They probably get coached to play as if they only get 5 or 6 like in a regular season game.

Report: Hawks' Tavares a work in progress

• ESPN.com

Atlanta Hawks center Walter Tavares, who is also commonly referred to as "Edy," has looked a step or two behind in summer league play and figures to be a work in progress for the team, Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution writes.

Tavares, who stands at 7-foot-3, was a second-round pick of the Hawks in 2014. The team reportedly agreed to a multi-year deal with the Cape Verde native earlier this month after stashing him in the ACB League of Spain last year.

In the team's first two games of the Las Vegas Summer League, Tavares is averaging 5.0 points, 5.5 rebounds and 3.5 blocks in 19.0 minutes. Although his numbers don't jump off the page, his coaches understand the transition he has had to make:

• "Hawks assistant Kenny Atkinson had some very interesting comments about Tavares following Sunday night’s game. 'This is just the feedback I’m getting from him, I think the pace of the game is so different than Europe and he is just adjusting to the pace, number one, and then adjusting to what we are doing,’ Atkinson said. 'He forgot a lot of what we are doing last year. His team in Europe was playing a totally different pick-and-roll coverage. But we are on him.'"

I really hope he develops...you can't teach 7'3 and 7'9. With him and another 7 footer in Splitter (who can play PF) our size issue won't be one anymore.

Yeah would really be nice to see the big man develop. I can't get over NBA not showing the hawks, they have been showing everyone else, smh!

Glenn Robinson III opening eyes with the Hawks

11:51 a.m. Monday, July 13, 2015 | Filed in: Hawks
Glenn Robinson III joined the Hawks’ Las Vegas Summer League entry late in the process after stints with the Timberwolves and 76ers last season as a rookie

LAS VEGAS — The Hawks had their eye on Glenn Robinson III.

During last year’s NBA Draft, the small forward was within reach. However, he would be selected by the Timberwolves with the 40th overall pick – three slots ahead of the Hawks. They are getting a better look at him now.

Robinson joined the Hawks’ Las Vegas Summer League entry late in the process after stints with the Timberwolves and 76ers last season as a rookie.

“I had a couple of workouts with the Hawks during my draft process,” Robinson said. “I had two. They were a team that really looked at me. They gave me a call and wanted me to come out and play summer league. I know this is a team that I would love to play for. The whole coaching staff has a great philosophy and they play really well together. I think that is the type of system that I fit best in.”

Robinson made his debut Sunday night and had a team-high 13 points on 4 of 9 shooting, including a 3-pointer. He also added three rebounds, two steals and two blocks in 19 minutes off the bench after only one practice. The Summer Hawks (1-1) play their final scheduled game Monday against the D-League Select team before the seeded portion of the tournament begins Wednesday.

The 6-foot-6 Robinson plays a position the Hawks could use additional help come training camp in September. The Hawks have 14 players under contract so there is one open roster spot available if they choose to fill it.

“I thought he gave us a spark,” said Kenny Atkinson, the assistant who is leading the Hawks team. “He is obviously a very talented guy. He showed he can handle it. He hit a three. He’s got NBA size for his position. That is the intriguing thing about Glenn. We are going to keep an eye on him. I’m glad we brought him in and I’m glad we are going to get a good look at him.”

Robinson, 21, made the Timberwolves roster and appeared in 25 games. He was waived in March and picked up by the 76ers. He played 10 games with the 76ers, including one against the Hawks, and averaged 4.4 points and 2.5 rebounds in 15.3 minutes. He got an up-close look at a system in which he liked to play.

“Guarding Kyle Korver, off some of those screens and some of those motions, I can see why they were so tough to guard,” Robinson said. “Constant movement. We share the ball. This is a system where I fit best.”

The Hawks are weighing several options at the wing following the departure of DeMarre Carroll. At the small forward spot are Thabo Sefolosha, coming off injury, and Kent Bazemore. Newly-acquired Tim Hardaway Jr. and Justin Holiday could also be part of the rotation. A training camp invitation is a possibility for Robinson III, along with several others on the Hawks summer league roster, after he became a free agent when the 76ers elected not to pick up his option. Such an opportunity was a reason Robinson accepted the Hawks’ call just before the start of summer league.

He’s well-versed in the Hawks’ organization and system to know he chance will begin with defense.

“It definitely did,” Robinson said when asked whether he considered the current Hawks roster when making a decision to play here. “I talked to my agents and they brought me in three days ago. That was kind of a surprise but at the same time this team needs defense, a guy who can step out on the court and lock down. They have shooters, guys who can score. I know that might not be my role at first but if I am lucky enough to make this team and have an opportunity defense is really going to be the thing that gets me on the court.”

Robinson, the son of former NBA player Glenn Robinson, said a training camp invitation would be the ideal next step. He added he will leave that to Hawks management and his agent. His job is to “play as hard as I can and open up some eyes.”

Bracket set for Las Vegas Summer League Tournament; Hawks face Miami in opening round

By Brad Rowland @BTRowland on Jul 14, 2015, 11:52p

After a 1-2 mark in "round robin" play, the Hawks will open the tournament portion of Las Vegas Summer League against the Miami Heat on Wednesday.

The Atlanta Hawks haven't been particularly effective from a team perspective during the Las Vegas Summer League. The team is just 1-2 after a blowout loss on Monday, but on the bright side, the Hawks and the rest of the participating teams begin tournament play on Wednesday, with the slate wiped clean. In the opener, Atlanta will face off against the Miami Heat at 6:00 pm ET.

Following Wednesday's tilt against Miami, the Hawks could go in one of two directions. With a win, the team will play at 8:30 pm ET on Thursday against the Denver Nuggets. On the flip side, a loss from Atlanta will place the team in something of a loser's bracket, with a second game against the loser of the game between the Sacramento Kings andGolden State Warriors at 4:30 pm ET on Friday.