Are You Black? Do You Swim? Will You Teach Your Kids?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YMCA pay

You should take the class before them. Not trying to be an @$$, but it's going to build their confidence to do it. And not for nothing, your kids are going to want to swim with you. If you don't learn how to swim, lessons will help them, but they won't be practicing enough to get good at it. At some point they are going to go into the ocean at the beach and you need to be a stronger swimmer for that.

I always thought it was prejudiced to say black people can't swim but based on those statistics, it's more like an epidemic for black people than a racist stereotype.

Historically, it wasn't something that was readily available to black people in America.

Yep.....My Mother-in-law was never presented with the opportunity to swim and therefore none of her children swim. Our kids were the first generation in her family that learned to swim as children. If you don't learn as a child, chances are slim that you will learn at all.

Well that =

No

No

And I'm going to go with a no on number 3 unless you're going to take the Lostone route of teaching your kids through the YMCA. I'm not sure that counts as teaching them yourself though.

In that case, I would let their mother teach them or take them to swim lessons.

Man that would have ruined my childhood....Some of my best memories were in rock quarries, creeks, rivers, and the Gulf of Mexico.

I was always too afraid of a water moccasin making a meal of my tally whacker and what other foul things might be in the water. We can credit Jaws for my paranoia...

No

Yes

Yes. Technically I'm not teaching him but he's been in swim lessons since he was around 2.5 years old (he's almost 4 now). That summer leading up to him joining classes, he fell in a pool twice at different family gatherings, and we had to jump in to get him. After the second time we immediately put him in lessons. It is such a weight lifted when you know your child knows what to do in and or around water. My youngest son (only 10 months) will be put in lessons probably around the age of 2.

Yes

Yes - We were fortunate enough to have a pool on the "black side" of town that was big enough for us to learn how to swim

Yes - Kids are grown and they know, the grandkids are learning.

I had a 2nd cousin to drown in a little freakin' creek back in 1998. Very tragic man. It tore my cousin up, she never recovered and still mourns her to this day. sad.png

Back in my day they would have called it child abuse, at 5 years old (old dad) just throwing you in deep water and saying now swim.

Yep, you cannot teach them like that anymore

My brother did something similar with me and it worked really well. I just couldn't bring myself to do it to my kids. I kind of said this before but probably not as well......just put floaties on your kid's arms when they are young and they will naturally learn to swim. It gives you and them the confidence they need to do anything they want in the water. Eventually they will want to take them off so that they can go under. They already understand how to swim by that point because they have been doing it the whole time.