Are We Still Paying This Guy 150K For Life?

Willy Mo

It's just an annuity contract, commonly done to spread out costs of a player's contract. More often done in baseball.

BTW: 4-time Pro Bowl OG Fralic is a Top 10 Falcon of all-time.

Yea my primary retirement is from an annuity contract and that from the engineering world not sports. It use to be a common practice. Of course mine is not close to 150K. It's a mainstay since my IRA hasn't fully recovered yet.

They should be required to pay more players a portion of their contract into an annuity. No more sad 30 for 30 stories of broke athletes. (I think vets do get some vested pension benefits after some # of years in league).

Sadly the guys responsible enough to buy annuities and setup trusts are not the ones that typically blow the money anyway.

I'd say yes since he's still alive, plus he deserves it.

It's not a matter of what he deserves--- it's a matter of how his contract was written.

Both he and the team (usually) put money in the annuity and he draws it out after retirement.

So all of that 150k is his money--part he put in and part the team put in as a contract requirement.--a delayed salary payment is one way to look at it.

Magic Johnson once signed a 25 year, $25 million contract. That was in 1981.

I remember that, and it was pure Jerry Buss genius. Buss bought a 25-year $5M CD that had a 20% rate of return - those were the good old days of rampant inflation - so the interest on the CD paid the entire contract and the principal was never touched.

The contract was later re-negotiated of course, but at the time it was revolutionary.

Yea my primary retirement is from an annuity contract and that from the engineering world not sports. It use to be a common practice. Of course mine is not close to 150K. It's a mainstay since my IRA hasn't fully recovered yet.

Your IRA hasn't fully recovered? You need a better financial advisor.

😍

Your IRA hasn't fully recovered? You need a better financial advisor.

Oh it's back to where it was in 97---(96 was my 30 year point)---it's just not where it was "projected" to be in 2015

in 2017 I'll be75 and can use it --so my 70% annuity is much better --if it had been left up to me it would have all been annuity no IRA

One of the worst Falcons teams in history had 2 of the greatest players our franchise has ever seen. The 1989 team that went 3-13. Pro Bowler Bill Fralic at right guard, and rookie Deion Sanders at corner.

The end of one of the worst seven year runs in franchise history. That was the year I became a season ticket holder. Sat in AFCS with 7,000 faithful Falcons in 30 degree weather with rain coming in sideways as a rookie named Barry Sanders ran over us to close out the season at 3-13.

Cindrich was a great negotiator back then it seems.

His contract was bigger than the #1 pk (Bruce Smith) also. Imagine that in recent NFL history, back when Rookie deals weren't on a scale. An OG getting a bigger deal than a #1 DE.

I read once they threatened he would become a pro wrestler. Don't know if true. Fralic was a Tackle in college right but always played inside for us correct?

Cindrich was a great negotiator back then it seems.

His contract was bigger than the #1 pk (Bruce Smith) also. Imagine that in recent NFL history, back when Rookie deals weren't on a scale. An OG getting a bigger deal than a #1 DE.

I read once they threatened he would become a pro wrestler. Don't know if true. Fralic was a Tackle in college right but always played inside for us correct?

I believe he threatened to be a wrestler if a certain team drafted him. I think it was MIN. Also his dad made him do the annuity. He said it's the best thing he's ever done.