Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WOR

Hawks Fa Rumors

467 posts in this topic

Maybe. Seems to me that the MO of this offseason was try and keep the starting squad together, improve the bench, and make sure our 3rd stringers were young guys with potential.

Surprised about that. Thought Bud was trying to develop Daye, but guess not.

Tweeners. I guess Daye was too small (just over 200 lbs) to man the 4, too slow to be a reliable 3. Ashley seems like a good prospect.

Hawks finalize Tiago Splitter deal

• Associated Press

ATLANTA -- Paul Millsap didn't need long to decide whether he should return to Atlanta or leave for Orlando.

He believes the Hawks offer a better chance to win an NBA title and wants to keep building on last season, when Atlanta won a franchise-best 60 games and advanced to the Eastern Conference finals.

Millsap's new three-year, $58.9 million contract -- a deal that was reported last week -- became official Thursday. The Hawks and Magic were the final two teams he considered.

"I felt like I've been here for two years and that I was one of the guys who helped this thing get to where it's at with the team that we had," Millsap said in a conference call with reporters. "We feel like there's still room for improvement, and we feel like we can reach our goals."

Millsap's deal was the most significant in a busy day for the Hawks, who added depth to the roster by trading for center-forward Tiago Splitter and signing center Walter "Edy" Tavares and guard Justin Holiday.

In his second season with the Hawks, Millsap led the team with averages of 16.7 points, 7.8 rebounds and 1.8 steals per game and 15 double-doubles. He hit a career-high 77 3-pointers and averaged 3.1 assists per game.

Coach Mike Budenholzer said re-signing the two-time All-Star was an offseason priority.

"His toughness, versatility, high basketball IQ and unselfishness [are] representative of the culture we are building," Budenholzer said in a statement released by the team. "We are excited that he will remain a part of our family."

The Hawks lost starting guard DeMarre Carroll to Toronto in free agency, but they added Tim Hardaway Jr. in a draft-night trade with New York and acquired Splitter after sending the draft rights to Georgios Printezis and a future second-round pick to San Antonio.

"DeMarre's not going to be with us, but we've still got a lot of our core guys coming back," Millsap said. "We've made some good additions. We've got guys coming back off injuries. We definitely feel like we can compete. We want to build off of last year."

To clear room on the roster, the Hawks requested waivers on forward Austin Daye, who signed a multiyear contract in April.

The 6-foot-11, 245-pound Splitter averaged 8.3 points and 5.3 rebounds per game in five seasons with the Spurs.

Splitter, who is expected to back up Millsap and center Al Horford, has two years remaining on his contract and will earn a total of $16.8 million. Splitter has started 40 of 65 career postseason games.

Holiday, the brother of New Orleans guard Jrue Holiday, played in 59 games last season for Golden State, averaging 4.3 points and 1.2 rebounds per game. He played in five postseason games for the NBA champion Warriors.

Atlanta drafted the 7-3, 260-pound Tavares in the second round last year. He played professionally in Spain for five seasons and last season averaged 8.3 points, 7.9 rebounds and 1.8 blocks in 57 games for Gran Canaria.

Millsap's deal has a player option for a third season, giving the contract a $58.9 million value. The 30-year-old Millsap is expected to make $20 million next season.

Millsap had hoped the Hawks would bring back Carroll and keep a starting five together that includes Horford, point guard Jeff Teague and shooting guard Kyle Korver.

"DeMarre's like a brother to me," Millsap said. "We grew close together. I'm sad to see him go, but I'm definitely excited and happy for him. I feel like he made a great decision, and I support him. I support him. He was a big part of what we accomplished. Other guys will have to step up and fill that role."

ESPN.com's Kevin Pelton grades the Atlanta Hawks' offseason

By Kris Willis @Kris_Willis on Jul 21, 2015, 7:06p 12

usa-today-8469994.0.jpg
Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports

ESPN.com's Kevin Pelton grades all 30 NBA teams on their offseasons. Find out how the Atlanta Hawks stack up.

Kevin Pelton of ESPN.com released an article on Tuesday grading the offseasons of all 30 NBA teams. Pelton issued the Atlanta Hawks a grade of "C" citing the loss of DeMarre Carroll and there inability to further address the small forward position as the determining factors.

The Hawks had a problem this summer: They were too good last season, making starters DeMarre Carroll and
two of the top free agents on the market. To afford to re-sign both players at their 2015-16 salaries, Atlanta would have had to trade backup wing

Its been well discussed this summer, but the two-year deals that initially brought Paul Millsap and DeMarre Carroll to Atlanta came back to bite the Hawks this summer. While we applauded the short affordable nature of those deals, Millsap and Carroll both out performed the numbers to the degree that not having full bird rights left the Atlanta in the position of having to choose between the two this summer.

Pelton told me on Twitter that the "C" grade didn't have to do as much with Carroll leaving, but rather how the Hawks failed to address the small forward position after his departure. He was not a fan of the move to trade this year's first round pick for Tim Hardaway Jr.

Instead, Atlanta tried to find the next Carroll by signing Holiday, whose skill set is a 3-and-D starter kit. The Hawks used the money they saved to add Splitter, who gives their frontcourt an entirely different look. But trading a first-round pick for Hardaway, a poor defender whose shooting hasn't been as good as advertised in the NBA, looks like a bad gamble.

Atlanta figured to take a step back no matter what, and the offseason hasn't helped.

The move to acquire Hardaway Jr. is going to be one that is debated throughout the season. Atlanta is confident in its player development model and Hardway may prove to be the ultimate test. In my opinion it is a wait and see situation. I think given the success Atlanta has had developing guys like Carroll, Kent Bazemore and even Paul Millsap has earned them the right to be given the benefit of the doubt.

In regards to addressing the small forward position. I'm not sure what other avenue Atlanta could have pursued. The Hawks used the space gained by Carroll's departure to acquire Tiago Splitter from the San Antonio Spurs to bolster there frontcourt. That came at the expense of the small forward position where they will attempt to use a committee approach at replacing Carroll. I'm not sure what small forward options the Hawks could have realistically gone after as most of the recognizable names either stayed put or were out of Atlanta's price range completely.

I have no issues with Pelton's grade however, and I think it is fair given the uncertainty and the reshuffling done by the team. I'm not sure I agree with his reasoning though. Losing Carroll hurts because of the many ways he impacted the 2015 Atlanta Hawks. However, the addition of Splitter theoretically goes a long way in addressing one of the big weaknesses of that 2015 team. Its a question that is difficult to answer at this point. A healthy return of Thabo Sefolosha looks like a necessity as does the emergence of either Justin Holiday or Hardaway Jr. Given their past success, I think Mike Budenholzer and his staff are worth the benefit of the doubt at this point.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/23/hawks-sign-lamar-patterson-terran-petteway/

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjAP

The Hawks have 13 players with guaranteed contracts plus Mike Muscala, who’s a practical lock to make the team.

That leaves one open roster spot and now two candidates to fill it.

Chris Vivlamore of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

The Hawks acquired Patterson, the No. 48 pick in the 2015 draft, in a draft-night trade. He played overseas last season, allowing Atlanta to keep his rights. He’s a good passer and solid outside shooter, but his lack of athleticism will hold him back in the NBA.

Petteway went undrafted this year. He did a bit of everything for Nebraska, but he was pretty inefficient in his big role. Can he scale down his game in the NBA and find a niche?

Patterson and Petteway will likely compete throughout training camp to make the team. The Hawks also have the room exception available, which they could use to sign a veteran who reduces Patterson’s and Petteway’s chances to nil.

Report: Hawks discuss possible new arena with Atlanta mayor

• ESPN.com

It appears that the Atlanta Hawks will at least be playing in a better arena soon, if not a brand-new one entirely.

In his first day on the job last month, owner Antony Ressler spoke about either remodeling Phillips Arena or finding a different home for the Hawks. According to Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed, three options are on the table for Hawks' future.From Katie Leslie of the Atlanta Journal Constitution:

• "In addition to the Civic Center, a city-owned property that Reed put up for sale in recent years, the team is also considering an undisclosed Atlanta location and rehabbing Philips Arena, the mayor told reporters on Thursday. Reed said he’s met once with the team’s new owners and repeated his willingness to consider a deal involving the use public funds. The mayor first indicated that option last year in the wake of controversy involving the team’s previous leadership. 'What I’m willing to do is come to the table with a plan that makes sense and is fair to the people of Atlanta,' Reed said. 'I’m not closed to participating in a reasonable plan to make sure that the Hawks remain in the city and that’s what I expressed in our meeting.' The mayor didn’t elaborate, but said he was 'very satisfied' with his interactions with the new ownership group led by billionaire philanthropist Antony Ressler and NBA All-Star Grant Hill."

Hawks sign Lamar Patterson, Terran Petteway

Associated Press

ESPN.com | 8:15 PM ET

ATLANTA -- The Hawks have signed swingmen Lamar Patterson and Terran Petteway after their impressive performances in the Las Vegas Summer League.

The signings were announced Friday.

The 6-foot-5 Patterson started all seven games in the summer league, averaging team bests of 13.1 points, 3.4 assists and 1.6 steals per game. The 6-6 Petteway made six starts and averaged 10.9 points, 4.3 rebounds and 2.6 assists per game.

Patterson played last season in Turkey, while Petteway was passed over in the draft after giving up his senior season at Nebraska.

The Hawks are looking for wing depth after losing free agent DeMarre Carroll, who signed with Toronto.

It appears that the Atlanta Hawks will at least be playing in a better arena soon, if not a brand-new one entirely.

In his first day on the job last month, owner Antony Ressler spoke about either remodeling Phillips Arena or finding a different home for the Hawks. According to Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed, three options are on the table for Hawks' future. From Katie Leslie of the Atlanta Journal Constitution:

"In addition to the Civic Center, a city-owned property that Reed put up for sale in recent years, the team is also considering an undisclosed Atlanta location and rehabbing Philips Arena, the mayor told reporters on Thursday. Reed said hes met once with the teams new owners and repeated his willingness to consider a deal involving the use public funds. The mayor first indicated that option last year in the wake of controversy involving the teams previous leadership. 'What Im willing to do is come to the table with a plan that makes sense and is fair to the people of Atlanta,' Reed said. 'Im not closed to participating in a reasonable plan to make sure that the Hawks remain in the city and thats what I expressed in our meeting.' The mayor didnt elaborate, but said he was 'very satisfied' with his interactions with the new ownership group led by billionaire philanthropist Antony Ressler and NBA All-Star Grant Hill."

With Braves and Falcons getting new toys and new owners coming in, you knew it was going to happen. Don't think there's anything wrong with Phillips other than location and unless they're gonna follow the Braves to the burbs that's not gonna change.

Man, I don't know if it has anything to do with the arena itself, but Philip's food ******* sucks.. Each of my last two times there I ended up vomiting it back at half time.

Man, I don't know if it has anything to do with the arena itself, but Philip's food ******* sucks.. Each of my last two times there I ended up vomiting it back at half time.

What are you doing paying for Arena food man? Overpriced and underwhelming. Whether it's the Dome or Phillips, get your lunch (and beer) in the CNN Center. Sometimes you get to the arena late and have no choice, but otherwise you can do alot better in the immediate surrounding area.

I have a personal boycott against buying stadium concessions, I don't buy way overpriced food and drink on principal (and also cause I'm cheap) That said I went to the Gold Cup semifinals at the Dome last Wednesday which pretty much lasted from 6 to well past midnight so i had no choice but to buy in stadium beer and fate punished me for it because I received the worse customer service I've ever received in my life. (Long story short I had the fine young ladys at the U10 exit beer vending station literally tell me to f*ck off after they made sure I waited 30 minutes cause they confused me with the person standing next to me who had to say something nasty at their admittedly really really bad "I'm gonna play on my phone instead of taking your order" service)

What are you doing paying for Arena food man? Overpriced and underwhelming. Whether it's the Dome or Phillips, get your lunch (and beer) in the CNN Center. Sometimes you get to the arena late and have no choice, but otherwise you can do alot better in the immediate surrounding area.

I have a personal boycott against buying stadium concessions, I don't buy way overpriced food and drink on principal (and also cause I'm cheap) That said I went to the Gold Cup semifinals at the Dome last Wednesday which pretty much lasted from 6 to well past midnight so i had no choice but to buy in stadium beer and fate punished me for it because I received the worse customer service I've ever received in my life. (Long story short I had the fine young ladys at the U10 exit beer vending station literally tell me to f*ck off after they made sure I waited 30 minutes cause they confused me with the person standing next to me who had to say something nasty at their admittedly really really bad "I'm gonna play on my phone instead of taking your order" service)

I was hungry and it was the first thing infront of me after I was already in the arena.