Can Tevin Coleman Rush For 1,000 Yards As A Rookie?

Hey man, I hear you, but we're actually talking more football rather than arguing. See Flacco vs Ryan thread for that boorish nonsense. But yes, we're all excited about Falcons RB possibilities.m

Selah.

oh yeah ik, it's more like everyone is debating who they think will be better haha

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't disagree, and didn't mean that as a slight of freeman, it's more a conviction on the talent I believe Coleman brings. Coleman's fast, but he's also a bigger RB who's not afraid to go between the tackles, so he's a lot more than just a speed back.

But you're right, both will play plenty.

How is Coleman bigger? He might be taller, be he definitely is not bigger, going pound for pound.

No, it is something you took as a slight. I don't think he's j0ust hands and you don't know what a utility back is. You would just like to argue. If only I were as passionate on the subject. If Freeman is good then good, wouldn't we all benefit? If he isn't we still have to dig into the RB pool next year. *shrugs*

Can you provide us with an explanation of what you think a utility back is? I think I know, but I want to see it from you so I know what we're talking about.

1) Freeman is way better than Quizz,

2) Freeman is a better runner in the middle, and Coleman better on the outside.

3) Freeman will be the starter for at least 3 or 4 games, and may even stay the starter for the year.

1) At what? Not receiving, certainly. Absolutely not at picking up blitzes. Running the ball? Maybe by a little?

2) What do you base this upon? Did you just make this up?

3) Not if he can't block. If he can't block, if he cannot be relied upon to pick up blitzes and keep Matt alive, then he will not, and SHOULD not, start or see significant action. Being a liability in blitz pickup limits the offensive play calling.

Now, I'm not saying that Freeman won't ever be able to learn to block. He certainly CAN learn. But until he does, and does so to the coach's satisfaction, he should not start or see significant time on the field.

1) At what? Not receiving, certainly. Absolutely not at picking up blitzes. Running the ball? Maybe by a little?

2) What do you base this upon? Did you just make this up?

3) Not if he can't block. If he can't block, if he cannot be relied upon to pick up blitzes and keep Matt alive, then he will not, and SHOULD not, start or see significant action. Being a liability in blitz pickup limits the offensive play calling.

Now, I'm not saying that Freeman won't ever be able to learn to block. He certainly CAN learn. But until he does, and does so to the coach's satisfaction, he should not start or see significant time on the field.

People have got to stop with this Freeman blocking thing. Its among the most overblown angles anyone talks about on this board.

No. No it's not.

Yeah, it is. Smith said that Freeman got better at blocking as the season went on. Freeman was solid at FSU, no reason to assume that the missed blocks that so many focused on are anything more than a rookie learning the system.

Not to mention none of us really have any idea what Freeman was supposed to do on any given play. What looks like a missed block may be Freeman reacting to someone else missing their assignment, but getting there too late to make the block. So, since Freeman is engaged with the blitzer, looks like he missed the block, when , in reality, wasn't his man at all.

Assuming that Coleman is a better blocker to start with is ignoring the reality that the overwhelming majority of rookie RBs have trouble picking up blitzes.

Can you provide us with an explanation of what you think a utility back is? I think I know, but I want to see it from you so I know what we're talking about.

It would help to give a few examples. Dominic Rhodes, Kevin Faulk, Denard Robinson, Justin Griffith.

Guys who are VERY important to the progress of the team. They can be used in various ways and various times. Often the fan fave and even in many cases the defacto star even if he doesn't get the bulk of the carries. You have to be able to do multiple things on the field though. Robinson is fast, but he isn't a workhorse. Its still important to FIND WAYS to get him the ball.

When you have a receiver in a RB, he is going to get touches anyways. That doesn't always require the guy to start. If we saw Freeman as a starter or workhorse, why draft RB so high?

It would help to give a few examples. Dominic Rhodes, Kevin Faulk, Denard Robinson, Justin Griffith.

Guys who are VERY important to the progress of the team. They can be used in various ways and various times. Often the fan fave and even in many cases the defacto star even if he doesn't get the bulk of the carries. You have to be able to do multiple things on the field though. Robinson is fast, but he isn't a workhorse. Its still important to FIND WAYS to get him the ball.

When you have a receiver in a RB, he is going to get touches anyways. That doesn't always require the guy to start. If we saw Freeman as a starter or workhorse, why draft RB so high?

Because some people like RBBC? Because they plan to run a bunch of 2 RB sets?

Main reason, I would think though, is: Because, even though they really like Freeman, if he's injured, the run game goes into the toilet and they want to make they can run the ball this year.

Lots of possibilities where they really like Freeman, but Coleman was a logical pick.

Because some people like RBBC? Because they plan to run a bunch of 2 RB sets?

Main reason, I would think though, is: Because, even though they really like Freeman, if he's injured, the run game goes into the toilet and they want to make they can run the ball this year.

Lots of possibilities where they really like Freeman, but Coleman was a logical pick.

Wouldn't it be far more logical to get a guy in the later rounds, but get a OL in the 3rd? You could pay a lot less for a role player in the 6th or 7th.

Wouldn't it be far more logical to get a guy in the later rounds, but get a OL in the 3rd?

I hope not, cause they didn't do that, and I 'd hate to think they'd screwed up the draft that bad. Think they must be expecting the Oline to be healthy this year and pretty solid.

Seems to me that they're saying by the Coleman pick that the run game is that important. Have to have a good RB if Freeman goes down. As much as you prefer one back doing all the heavy lifting, not sure Shanahan does and, the reality is, splitting the carries is the best way to keep both back healthy and fresh.

I hardly think having two solid RBs is a bad thing. Think a set with Jones, White, Hardy Freeman and Coleman might work really well.

I hope not, cause they didn't do that, and I 'd hate to think they'd screwed up the draft that bad. Think they must be expecting the Oline to be healthy this year and pretty solid.

Seems to me that they're saying by the Coleman pick that the run game is that important. Have to have a good RB if Freeman goes down. As much as you prefer one back doing all the heavy lifting, not sure Shanahan does and, the reality is, splitting the carries is the best way to keep both back healthy and fresh.

I hardly think having two solid RBs is a bad thing. Think a set with Jones, White, Hardy Freeman and Coleman might work really well.

Never said I had to have one back doing the heavy lifting man. Let's try hard to look at things we say and not things taken from past conversations. Things change based on circumstances.

1) Smith said that Freeman got better at blocking as the season went on. Freeman was solid at FSU, no reason to assume that the missed blocks that so many focused on are anything more than a rookie learning the system.

2) Not to mention none of us really have any idea what Freeman was supposed to do on any given play. What looks like a missed block may be Freeman reacting to someone else missing their assignment, but getting there too late to make the block. So, since Freeman is engaged with the blitzer, looks like he missed the block, when , in reality, wasn't his man at all.

3) Assuming that Coleman is a better blocker to start with is ignoring the reality that the overwhelming majority of rookie RBs have trouble picking up blitzes.

1) Which is what I said.

2) Laughable. When he squares up but drops his head and whiffs completely, he missed the block.

3) Where did I ever say that Coleman is a better blocker? Please quote my saying this.

Freeman is absolutely better than Quizz at receiving. Doubt him all you want but don'take stuff up. lol

Prove it.

Jaquizz Rodgers: 63 Games, 155 receptions, 1104 yards, 7.1 y/r, 5 TD's, 45 First Downs.

Per game average: 2.5 receptions/g, 17.5 yards/g, 7.1 y/r, 0.07 TD/game, 0.7 First Downs/g

Davonta Freeman: 16 games, 30 receptions, 225 yards, 7.4 y/r, 1 TD, 8 First Downs.

Per game average: 1.9 receptions/game, 14.0 yards/g, 7.4 y/r, 0.06 TD/game, 0.5 First Downs/g

Per game numbers say you're wrong.

Factor in Jaquizz Rodgers' stellar blocking and blitz pick-up, and it is undeniably clear that Rodgers was a superior player in the passing game.

Rodgers had, however, hit his ceiling. He was never going to get appreciably better. Freeman might get better. He might not. But the chance at a higher ceiling is why Freeman is here and Rodgers isn't.

Edited by Oldskooler

Prove it.

Jaquizz Rodgers: 63 Games, 155 receptions, 1104 yards, 7.1 y/r, 5 TD's, 45 First Downs.

Per game average: 2.5 receptions/g, 17.5 yards/g, 7.1 y/r, 0.07 TD/game, 0.7 First Downs/g

Davonta Freeman: 16 games, 30 receptions, 225 yards, 7.4 y/r, 1 TD, 8 First Downs.

Per game average: 1.9 receptions/game, 14.0 yards/g, 7.4 y/r, 0.06 TD/game, 0.5 First Downs/g

Per game numbers say you're wrong.

Factor in Jaquizz Rodgers' stellar blocking and blitz pick-up, and it is undeniably clear that Rodgers was a superior player in the passing game.

Rodgers had, however, hit his ceiling. He was never going to get appreciably better. Freeman might get better. He might not. But the chance at a higher ceiling is why Freeman is here and Rodgers isn't.

They just didn't do all that well at drafting RB's man. Going back to Thomas Brown.

They just didn't do all that well at drafting RB's man. Going back to Thomas Brown.

Irrelevant to the statement that Freeman is a better receiver than Rodgers.

Rodgers is an outstanding #2 back. An excellent all-purpose, reliable, flexible back that you will never build an offense around. But he can spell the main guy, contribute in all phases of the offense, doesn't limit the offensive play calling, and won't blow an assignment and get your QB killed.

Davonta Freeman has a fair ways to go before he catches up to Rodgers. But he does have the potential to surpass him. If what was said about his work ethic and his improvements are true, then he almost certainly will surpass Rodgers. But I want to see it before I believe it.

I'm all out of faith in "player potential".