Patrick Kerney & Brady Smith = Vic Beasley & Adrian Clayborn

The last time we had a consistently good pass rush was with Kerney and Smith. As we all know, you really need to have more than 1 pass rusher to have a true pass rush.

We tried to do it with Abe and Kerney a few years ago, but they both got injured the first game of the season.

Throw in Grady Jarrett as a potential Rod Coleman and Solai/Hageman as a much better/younger Grady Jackson, we may have something special here.

We can even survive an injury or two with Schofield, Brooks and Babs on the roster.

Projecting our pass rush line-up to eventually materialize as:

Clayborn---Hageman---Jarrett---Beasley

Barring injury of course ...

Smith could give you 6-8 sacks

Let us hope. I loved those guys. Brady just kind of a solid player that wouldn't make headlines but did his job and Kerney and Coleman were monsters in '04.

Smith could give you 6-8 sacks though offf the strong side which is all you need if the other DE can give you 10+.

Smith was the last guy that can do that from that side. Clayborn is a similar type of player who can give us 7-8 sacks.

I still remember the sack-fumble(safety) that Smith did on Bulger in the playoff game against the Rams when we won with like 250+ rushing yards from the trio Vick/Dunn/Duckett and Vick threw for less than 100 yards but got 2 passing tds. That was my first full Falcon game watched on TV, nice memories smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by FalconFromSpain

I still remember the sack-fumble(safety) that Smith did on Bulger in the playoff game against the Rams when we won with like 250+ rushing yards from the trio Vick/Dunn/Duckett and Vick threw for less than 100 yards but got 2 passing tds. That was my first full Falcon game watched on TV, nice memories smile.pngsmile.png

I remember that game... I think we lost to the Eagles too. I hated how them or the Bucs kept us from a Super Bowl.

I remember that game... I think we lost to the Eagles too. I hated how them or the Bucs kept us from a Super Bowl.

We lost that game because Vick didn't want to play in the cold. He basically quit in that game. I lost all respect for him there.

We lost that game because Vick didn't want to play in the cold. He basically quit in that game. I lost all respect for him there.

We lost that game because:

-Westbrook ran over us

-Knapp gave up on the run down seven with a quarter left

-PHI's defense was killing us

-Scott gave up two TDs to a nondescript TE on the exact same play

I was just about to post the same thing. It looked like Brady swallowed Bulger on that play. I remember it so vividly. One of my favorite Falcons memories.

We lost that game because:

-Westbrook ran over us

-Knapp gave up on the run down four with a quarter left

-PHI's defense was killing us

-Scott gave up two TDs to a nondescript TE on the exact same play

Yup. To be specific, Trotter was killing us. I still remember the sound of hearing him smack anyone in his way. He was the difference. But I also still remember Brian Dawkins speech after the game where he gave the Falcons a ton of props and respect. I always liked Dawkins. As much as a lot of people hate to admit it, Vick was the catalyst of that team. We would have had another 4-12 season without Vick on that team.

The last time we had a consistently good pass rush was with Kerney and Smith. As we all know, you really need to have more than 1 pass rusher to have a true pass rush.

We tried to do it with Abe and Kerney a few years ago, but they both got injured the first game of the season.

Throw in Grady Jarrett as a potential Rod Coleman and Solai/Hageman as a much better/younger Grady Jackson, we may have something special here.

We can even survive an injury or two with Schofield, Brooks and Babs on the roster.

Projecting our pass rush line-up to eventually materialize as:

Clayborn---Hageman---Jarrett---Beasley

Barring injury of course ...

If you look at bookends, we got a decent pass rush from Abe and Chauncey in 2008. Mostly from Abe. I would say these are our best bookends so far:

2008 - John Abraham and Chauncey Davis

2004 - Patrick Kerney and Brady Smith

2002 - Patrick Kerney and Brady Smith

1998 - Chuck Smith and Lester Archambeau

1994 - Chuck Smith and Chris Doleman

1980 - Joel Williams and Al Richardson

1977 - Claude Humphrey and Jeff Merrow

1973 - Claude Humprhey and John Zook

I thought Quinn did a good job in FA with Clayborn, Schofield, Beirmann and Reed. In fact, I thought we were set enough to go Gurley in the first. I would have gone Gurley, Gregory and Diggy with our first three picks. I think we would have been better at RB and the pass rush would have been as good, if not better. With that said, I am excited about Beasley. Really the whole Dline. On our front five we could go:

Run - Beirmann, Soliai, Hageman, TJax, Reed

Pass - Beasley, Jarrett, Babineaux, Clayborn, Schofield

Yup. To be specific, Trotter was killing us. I still remember the sound of hearing him smack anyone in his way. He was the difference. But I also still remember Brian Dawkins speech after the game where he gave the Falcons a ton of props and respect. I always liked Dawkins. As much as a lot of people hate to admit it, Vick was the catalyst of that team. We would have had another 4-12 season without Vick on that team.

Yea Trotter was sitting on us hard. So was Dawkins. He smashed Crump across the middle and picked Vick to put the game away. They had an as beatin defense that year. Went to the Bowl but McNabb puked on em. I still believe if Blank had given Reeves one more year we would have won that game and gone to our second Bowl. Probably would have gotten blown out by NE though.

I was at that game, dome was electric that night.

If you look at bookends, we got a decent pass rush from Abe and Chauncey in 2008. Mostly from Abe. I would say these are our best bookends so far:

1994-95 Duo of Chuck Smith and Chris Doleman should maybe in there somewhere?

1994-95 Duo of Chuck Smith and Chris Doleman should maybe in there somewhere?

Good call. Edited. By the way, I think our best pass rush came under Dan Reeves and Rich Brooks in 1997. We were bringing it from everywher. We had 55 sacks that year:

Chuck Smith - 12.0

Travis Hall - 10.5

Lester Archambeau - 8.5

Dan Owens - 8.0

Cornelius Bennett - 7.0

Plus nine more from six others

1994 - Chuck Smith and Chris Doleman

I thought Quinn did a good job in FA with Clayborn, Schofield, Beirmann and Reed. In fact, I thought we were set enough to go Gurley in the first. I would have gone Gurley, Gregory and Diggy with our first three picks. I think we would have been better at RB and the pass rush would have been as good, if not better. With that said, I am excited about Beasley. Really the whole Dline. On our front five we could go:

Run - Beirmann, Soliai, Hageman, TJax, Reed

Pass - Beasley, Jarrett, Babineaux, Clayborn, Schofield

Question, so are you saying you expected Gregory to be there in the second round? You can't run around claiming you woulda drafted Gurley in the first because you would've grabbed Gregory in the second. THAT'S revisionist history. THAT is the definition of hindsight my friend. Nobody thought Gregory was gonna be there, NOBODY.Where in your mocks did you have Gregory in the second? Edited by Atlfanstckndenver

Good call. Edited. By the way, I think our best pass rush came under Dan Reeves and Rich Brooks in 1997. We were bringing it from everywher. We had 55 sacks that year:

Chuck Smith - 12.0

Travis Hall - 10.5

Lester Archambeau - 8.5

Dan Owens - 8.0

Cornelius Bennett - 7.0

Plus nine more from six others

Wow, I had forgotten that year with all those guys creating havoc on QBs. I like what we've done this offseason, Clayborn staying healthy is key for me. It's a lot better, but don't think we'll do near as much damage this year as that '97 team did, but what if we'd drafted Gregory in 2nd instead of Collins?

Anyway, dang good post, all from a guy who many here think is FOS.

😳

Edited by Vandy

Question, so are you saying you expected Gregory to be there in the second round? You can't run around claiming you woulda drafted Gurley in the first because you would've grabbed Gregory in the second. THAT'S revisionist history. THAT is the definition of hindsight my friend. Nobody thought Gregory was gonna be there, NOBODY.Where in your mocks did you have Gregory in the second?

Not really ATLDenver, luck plays into it, as we were lucky certain guys ala Jarrett were still there when we grabbed them. I may be wrong, but I think FF70 was on the Gurley train all along, so how is that being a revisionist? Pretty fair assumption that a good pass rushing prospect would still be there in 2nd, I'm on record believing Gregory may end up being the best of the bunch.

I love our draft, but I actually like his better on paper, although I woulda gone Beasley AND Gregory. If Quinn's as intuitive as we hope, he'd figure out how to use them both and transform this team defensively to something special built around those two.

Edited by Vandy

Wow, I had forgotten that year with all those guys creating havoc on QBs.i like what we've done this offseason, Clayborn staying healthy is key for me. It's a lot better, but don't think we'll do near as much damage this year as that '97 team did, but what if we'd drafted Gregory in 2nd instead of Collins?

Anyway, dang good post, all from a guy who many here think is FOS.

😳

I've liked many of his posts. It all depends on whether he's interjecting an agenda or not. I think it's fun to debate with good ol ffs70. :) Edited by Atlfanstckndenver

I've liked many of his posts. It all depends on whether he's interjecting an agenda or not. I think it's fun to debate with good ol ffs70. :)

We all like to stir the pot sometimes, my friend. He apparently enjoys it more than most. And admit it or not, we all carry some sort of agenda.

😜

Where bout in Denver you live? I have a son and two grandkids who live in Longmont.

Edited by Vandy

Not really ATLDenver, luck plays into it, as we were lucky certain guys ala Jarrett were still there when we grabbed them. I may be wrong, but I think FF70 was on the Gurley train all along, so how is that being a revisionist.

I love our draft, but I actually like his better on paper.

Well, again, nobody thought Gregory would've been there. Ffs70 often times will say "look at my mock, I had so and so all along." My point is that if he's always banging his chest he needed to be consistent. Yes he's been on the Gurley train all along, but remember up until literally the night before the Draft he was saying draft Gurley UNLESS Beastly was there at 8. Then he changed the whole script. Wait a day longer after the second round and BOOM Gregory made it to the second! He NEVER EVER once mentioned hanging Gregory in the second round until AFTER it already played out like that. Again! Hindsight is 20/20 This works perfectly for his last second switch a roo!

Look, ultimately, I just enjoy debating the guy. I do. It's easy and fun. And whether he's f.o.s. or not depends on the day and the agenda he's pushing. When he's not f.o.s. he is a great poster.

We all like to stir the pot sometimes, my friend. He apparently enjoys it more than most. And admit it or not, we all carry some sort of agenda.

😜

Where bout in Denver you live? I have a son and two grandkids who live in Longmont.

Nice! I live in centennial at the moment. Just moved from aurora. I used to live pretty close to where that theater shooting took place. In fact I was planning on being there that night. Life is scary sometimes.

But yea, have you been out to visit your family I'm assuming/hoping? I moved out here from ga obviously and really have enjoyed it since. Coincidentally I'm technically in Dove Valley, where the Broncos train.