Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beef

Post-Draft Outlook

56 posts in this topic

Atlanta Hawks Rumors: LaMarcus Aldridge, Monta Ellis Signed After Tim Hardaway Jr Trade? Marc Gasol, Al Horford Duo Option if Paul Millsap, DeMarre Carroll Out

http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/53889/20150626/atlanta-hawks-rumors-lamarcus-aldridge-monta-ellis-signed-tim-hardaway-jr-trade-marc-gasol-al-horford-duo-option-paul-millsap-demarre-carroll-out.htm

I like the idea that Aldridge wants to come here. Marc Gasol would be great but just can't see him leaving Memphis but we have to go hard at FA bigs!!

Could see us targetting Aminu. Lowkey signing. Can play SF or PF, has good size (around 6'9) and can defend (like top 6 in defensive box plus minus). He doesn't light it up from 3, but he doesn't shoot a ton either. Young (24) hometown guy too.

I was not happy with the draft and would have liked to get someone for the future, but Hardaway could be a very good player off the bench for us for the next couple years, which seems to be our window. I do think we are objectively one of the top spots for a FA to come to when to factor in Price and closeness to making the finals.

If we somehow find a way to Land Lamarcus Alridge I'll eat my crow seriously I would.

Right now Lamarcus Alridge, Jimmy Bulter, random other upgrades over Pero, Jenkins, and a few others are dream for me right now.

I'd be okay with Millsap walking right now.

blkbigdog35 likes this

If we somehow find a way to Land Lamarcus Alridge I'll eat my crow seriously I would.

Right now Lamarcus Alridge, Jimmy Bulter, random other upgrades over Pero, Jenkins, and a few others are dream for me right now.

Agree..

My only concern with Aldridge would be depth. Id take him 11 times out of 10 though.

The warriors/Cavs series showed just how important backups are. And to a larger extent, the LeBron heat teams did as well.

Deep in the playoffs your bench matters just as much as your starting 5,and if we get Aldridge, we will have to get creative.

But Aldridge has been one of my favorite players for years so I don't give a ****. I'll streak around Phillips in my birthday suit.

Thumbs-up or thumbs-down on every team's picks

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2015/story/_/id/13148447/2015-nba-draft-thumbs-thumbs-team

Our NBA writers assess every team's draft picks.

Atlanta Hawks

• No. 15 pick traded to Washington
Marcus Eriksson, SG, Spain (50)
Dimitrios Agravanis, PF, Greece (59)

The Hawks feel like they've created a culture and system that can bring out the best in any NBA player, and with Tim Hardaway, Jr., acquired from the Knicks as part of a three-way trade, they'll certainly have their hands full. They value length and proficiency on the wings. At 6-foot-6, Hardaway has plenty of the former, but he used it to little effect in New York, where he was a defensive train wreck. He finished 94th out of 100 qualified shooting guards in defensive plus-minus. (THA FCUK) About that shooting ... He dropped from 36.3 percent in his rookie season from beyond the arc to 34.2. He didn't exactly make up for it from mid-range, nor does he get the line at a good clip. The Hawks clearly see value -- he'll earn $1.3 million in 2015-16, less than the No. 15 pick would've earned -- and potential that will bolster their depth on the perimeter. With their pair of late second-round picks, the Hawks selected Eriksson, a big shooting guard out of Sweden with a smooth stroke who spent last season recovering from an ACL and meniscus tear, as well as Agravanis, a 20-year-old stretch big man from Greece.Thumbs Down -- Kevin Arnovitz

I'm with you bruh at this point I have lowered my expectations for this upcoming season!

Zone#7 likes this

I with you bruh at this point I have lowered my expectations for this upcoming season!

Right now what just happens let's you know this city is not use to winning at all seriously.

We go to ECF 1st time ever and 60 wins first time ever No true Superstar(Horford is the closest thing to that since Nique). While Breaking a ton of records along the way.

What do we do on Draft Night lose our collective minds over trading away a Draft pick for Tim Hardaway Jr. Who as some have said could come in here and blow up. Listen people said some of similar things about Shumpert when he was in NY, but when he left that changed.

I guess we should just pump the brakes on this literally because Bud has a plan he's smart not stupid, and we can sit here and overanalysis this crap, but at the end of the day we don't know what each player brings heck who knows Pero and Scott plus Baze might improve so much next season(wishful thinking for now) we could be all wrong.

Just think Pero and Scott didn't see much that 1st year, and all of sudden big gains happened year 2 same with other players.

I read on hawksquawk.net that some tallied up a few seasons of SG defensive metrics on 560ish guys and Hardaway had the 554th worst defensive season last year out of all of them.

He wasn't just bad. He was 550 out of 560 type bad...

I read on hawksquawk.net that some tallied up a few seasons of SG defensive metrics on 560ish guys and Hardaway had the 554th worst defensive season last year out of all of them.

He wasn't just bad. He was 550 out of 560 type bad...

There are lies.....etc you know simply put that's the only problem with stats if you put players on certain teams you don't know what happens.

Look at Pero he was probably same shape when he entered the league just saying.

There are lies.....etc you know simply put that's the only problem with stats if you put players on certain teams you don't know what happens.

Look at Pero he was probably same shape when he entered the league just saying.

Yes... Being the 554th worth defender is a lie lol.

There is literally no way to be that bad by accident. It's not a fluke like hitting 50% from 3 on 2 shots.

Can he get better? Absolutely. But he's one of the worst defenders in the league. And it's not close. He's like bottom 2 lol.

Right now what just happens let's you know this city is not use to winning at all seriously.

We go to ECF 1st time ever and 60 wins first time ever No true Superstar(Horford is the closest thing to that since Nique). While Breaking a ton of records along the way.

What do we do on Draft Night lose our collective minds over trading away a Draft pick for Tim Hardaway Jr. Who as some have said could come in here and blow up. Listen people said some of similar things about Shumpert when he was in NY, but when he left that changed.

I guess we should just pump the brakes on this literally because Bud has a plan he's smart not stupid, and we can sit here and overanalysis this crap, but at the end of the day we don't know what each player brings heck who knows Pero and Scott plus Baze might improve so much next season(wishful thinking for now) we could be all wrong.

Just think Pero and Scott didn't see much that 1st year, and all of sudden big gains happened year 2 same with other players.

Hardaway is their punching bag for still being upset at the fact that Ferry was let go. Ferry's drafts and Free agency have not been anything amazing, but people are still salty. If we get Aldridge alone would make this Free Agency better than than any of Ferry's. And if Hardaway pans out, then he would have been a better use of a draft pick than any of Ferry's picks.

Also I think people do not understand that the plan was to tank the draft for FA, so we did not have to spend so much money on a pick. Whoever we drafted was going to be a project that would have not panned out for a few years, if ever. Hardaway is at least someone we know can contribute offensively now. We are in a win now mode and getting a draft pick who is going to be a project for the next few years is not better than a guy who has equal amounts of potential and can contribute now.

toadfishtom likes this

The logical takeaway from this draft is that we're trying to keep our window open longer and win NOW.

If we would have taken Bobby Portis, he wouldn't have helped us be better this year. Same with Oubre or Grant or really anyone who was drafted after about pick #8. Nobody drafted was going to come in this year and get 8+ rebounds and 12+ points from the 4 or 5 spot. And nobody was going to come in this year and get 5+ assists and 15+ points from the 2 or 3 spot either.

THj saved us a bit of money AND he can come in and have an IMMEDIATE impact. Coming from the black hole that is the NYN where Carmelo hogs the ball and takes nearly 1,000 shots and then turns the locker room into a cancerous no-fun zone, there's a very good chance THj can be better here than he was there.

I can see THj in coach Bud's system, putting up 15 ppg and giving us better defense than Korver too. Let Korver come off the bench now and give us his 10-12 ppg in 24 minutes played vs 34 minutes played. THj was putting up 12 ppg in 22 minutes with Melo. I can see him giving us 14-16 ppg when Kyle is on the bench. And occasionally both being in at the same time would create another really nice dynamic.

So... all that said, we still have the same big elephant in the room sized problem... Rebounds.

So here's our team salary and cap space breakdown: http://www.spotrac.com/nba/atlanta-hawks/cap/2016/

I don't see us giving Millsap $17-18 million AND DMC $10-12 million at the same time. Although at this point we COULD do that because we literally have $41M in cap space. So giving them $30M would still leave about $11M for a couple other FA's or to re-sign Brand and Antic (yuck), but IMO we should let those two guys walk. Brand is done and Antic sucks.

Here's the scenario that I'd actually like to see:

Re-sign DMC for $11M (I think he'll take that because he loves it here, maybe $12M if someone, like the knicks, offers him $14M. I think he'll take $11-12M from us as opposed to $13-14M from someone else.)

Let Millsap walk and get LaMarcus Aldridge for $21-22M. This would leave us still about $7-9M under the cap, which means we could actually add another piece if we wanted to. The 2017 cap max is going up significantly due to the new league TV contract that's coming, so the cap is really not a big deal after this year.

If we did this, rebounding would now be fixed AND we likely just added 6-8 ppg, PLUS we get to move Al back to the 4 spot. I understand Aldridge isn't a true 5, but he gets 10+ rebounds per game from the 5 and then scores 23 ppg from pretty much everywhere, and that's all that matters. It would absolutely allow Horford to hold shop in the 4 spot every game.

So here's how the lineup would look:

Starters:

Aldridge: C/PF-5, 20 ppg, 10 rpg, 3 apg

Horford: PF-4, 14 ppg, 7 rpg, 3 apg

Carrol: SF-3, 12 ppg, 5 rpg, 2 apg

Hardaway: SG-2, 10 ppg, 3 rpg, 2 apg

Teague: PG-1, 15 ppg, 2 rpg, 7 apg

Bench:

Schroeder: PG-1, 10 ppg, 2 rpg, 5 apg

Korver: SG-2, 10 ppg, 3 rpg, 2 apg

Bazemore: SF-3, 4 ppg, 4 rpg, 1 apg

Sefolosha: SF-3, 4 ppg, 4 rpg, 1 apg

Scott: PF-4, 4 ppg, 3 rpg, 1 apg

Muscala: C/PF-4/5, 3 ppg, 4 rpg, 1 apg

Mack: SG-2, 2 ppg, 1 rpg, 2 apg

Jenkins: SG-2, 2 ppg, 1 rpg, 1 apg

I think this would increase our game scoring average from 98 up to around 108. This would put us in the Rockets/Mavericks range, except our defense would be SOOO much better than theirs. And our game average rebounds would go up from 41 per game to around 47 per game, which would make us a top-5 rebounding team in the league.

I mean it would be impressive as **** to have 6-7 guys put up double-digit points every night along with finally having a superstar guy who puts up a double-double nearly every night too.

I really think this, or something like this, is what Coach Bud and Wilcox are trying to do. Hardaway can help us right now. He and Korver can split minutes and give us a much better chance of getting 20 points out of the 2 spot than just Korver playing 37 minutes a game and giving us 12-14 by himself while getting worn down trying to play shoddy defense in between scores.

And I would MUCH rather give Aldridge or Gasol $20-22 million and move Horford to the 4 than give Millsap $18 million and continue to play Horford out of position. And I certainly don't mind giving DMC $12 million since we now know he has the potential to pick up any slack and drop 20-22 points on any given night when given the chance. Plus I'll take his defense any day of the week over any 3 spot FA's out there right now too.

So that's it. I really hope this is our plan. Either way, after doing some research and some math, I feel a lot better today about the draft than I did last night. Now bring on free agency and make us proud, Coach Bud.

This is much like my offseason plan. The only things I would are:

-Pick up Mark Gasol, DeAndre Jordan, Asik or Greg Monroe if we can't land Aldrige

-Put Edy Tavares on the roster and start giving him minutes. Just tell him to rebound, defend the rim and hack bad free throw shooters

I still hate our draft though

Hardaway is their punching bag for still being upset at the fact that Ferry was let go. Ferry's drafts and Free agency have not been anything amazing, but people are still salty. If we get Aldridge alone would make this Free Agency better than than any of Ferry's. And if Hardaway pans out, then he would have been a better use of a draft pick than any of Ferry's picks.

Also I think people do not understand that the plan was to tank the draft for FA, so we did not have to spend so much money on a pick. Whoever we drafted was going to be a project that would have not panned out for a few years, if ever. Hardaway is at least someone we know can contribute offensively now. We are in a win now mode and getting a draft pick who is going to be a project for the next few years is not better than a guy who has equal amounts of potential and can contribute now.

We threw away a first rounder to get money for FA last year and did nothing with it.

I was one of the people totally okay with letting Ferry go and giving Bud control. Im not digging this move. I'm pretty sure WOR was as near indifferent to Ferry.

Yeah WOR is probably gonna shut the hail up as soon as buddy goes off for 30, with 15 from behind the arc and 15 at the rim. Kyle nor Jenkins can do that.

And gives up 35? Lol.

One sided players are just the best.

We threw away a first rounder to get money for FA last year and did nothing with it.

Which is on Ferry and probably one of the contributing reasons he is no longer the GM of the Hawks. His drafts sucked and he struggled to bring in top tier guys. This offseason like the last is boom or bust. If we do not get some top tier talent and some depth, then it is a bust.

I was one of the people totally okay with letting Ferry go and giving Bud control. Im not digging this move. I'm pretty sure WOR was as near indifferent to Ferry.

Ironically I WANTED him gone because because he couldn't draft.

Don't know what you have until it's gone lol

Yes... Being the 554th worth defender is a lie lol.

There is literally no way to be that bad by accident. It's not a fluke like hitting 50% from 3 on 2 shots.

Can he get better? Absolutely. But he's one of the worst defenders in the league. And it's not close. He's like bottom 2 lol.

Just saying statistics is a fun subject.

Well at this point this move is on Coach Bud and if THJ flops then he will get relentless criticism and if he balls out then Coach Bud will be praised as a genius. So for now we have to wait and see.