Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beef

Post-Draft Outlook

56 posts in this topic

The logical takeaway from this draft is that we're trying to keep our window open longer and win NOW.

If we would have taken Bobby Portis, he wouldn't have helped us be better this year. Same with Oubre or Grant or really anyone who was drafted after about pick #8. Nobody drafted was going to come in this year and get 8+ rebounds and 12+ points from the 4 or 5 spot. And nobody was going to come in this year and get 5+ assists and 15+ points from the 2 or 3 spot either.

THj saved us a bit of money AND he can come in and have an IMMEDIATE impact. Coming from the black hole that is the NYN where Carmelo hogs the ball and takes nearly 1,000 shots and then turns the locker room into a cancerous no-fun zone, there's a very good chance THj can be better here than he was there.

I can see THj in coach Bud's system, putting up 15 ppg and giving us better defense than Korver too. Let Korver come off the bench now and give us his 10-12 ppg in 24 minutes played vs 34 minutes played. THj was putting up 12 ppg in 22 minutes with Melo. I can see him giving us 14-16 ppg when Kyle is on the bench. And occasionally both being in at the same time would create another really nice dynamic.

So... all that said, we still have the same big elephant in the room sized problem... Rebounds.

So here's our team salary and cap space breakdown: http://www.spotrac.com/nba/atlanta-hawks/cap/2016/

I don't see us giving Millsap $17-18 million AND DMC $10-12 million at the same time. Although at this point we COULD do that because we literally have $41M in cap space. So giving them $30M would still leave about $11M for a couple other FA's or to re-sign Brand and Antic (yuck), but IMO we should let those two guys walk. Brand is done and Antic sucks.

Here's the scenario that I'd actually like to see:

Re-sign DMC for $11M (I think he'll take that because he loves it here, maybe $12M if someone, like the knicks, offers him $14M. I think he'll take $11-12M from us as opposed to $13-14M from someone else.)

Let Millsap walk and get LaMarcus Aldridge for $21-22M. This would leave us still about $7-9M under the cap, which means we could actually add another piece if we wanted to. The 2017 cap max is going up significantly due to the new league TV contract that's coming, so the cap is really not a big deal after this year.

If we did this, rebounding would now be fixed AND we likely just added 6-8 ppg, PLUS we get to move Al back to the 4 spot. I understand Aldridge isn't a true 5, but he gets 10+ rebounds per game from the 5 and then scores 23 ppg from pretty much everywhere, and that's all that matters. It would absolutely allow Horford to hold shop in the 4 spot every game.

So here's how the lineup would look:

Starters:

Aldridge: C/PF-5, 20 ppg, 10 rpg, 3 apg

Horford: PF-4, 14 ppg, 7 rpg, 3 apg

Carrol: SF-3, 12 ppg, 5 rpg, 2 apg

Hardaway: SG-2, 10 ppg, 3 rpg, 2 apg

Teague: PG-1, 15 ppg, 2 rpg, 7 apg

Bench:

Schroeder: PG-1, 10 ppg, 2 rpg, 5 apg

Korver: SG-2, 10 ppg, 3 rpg, 2 apg

Bazemore: SF-3, 4 ppg, 4 rpg, 1 apg

Sefolosha: SF-3, 4 ppg, 4 rpg, 1 apg

Scott: PF-4, 4 ppg, 3 rpg, 1 apg

Muscala: C/PF-4/5, 3 ppg, 4 rpg, 1 apg

Mack: SG-2, 2 ppg, 1 rpg, 2 apg

Jenkins: SG-2, 2 ppg, 1 rpg, 1 apg

I think this would increase our game scoring average from 98 up to around 108. This would put us in the Rockets/Mavericks range, except our defense would be SOOO much better than theirs. And our game average rebounds would go up from 41 per game to around 47 per game, which would make us a top-5 rebounding team in the league.

I mean it would be impressive as **** to have 6-7 guys put up double-digit points every night along with finally having a superstar guy who puts up a double-double nearly every night too.

I really think this, or something like this, is what Coach Bud and Wilcox are trying to do. Hardaway can help us right now. He and Korver can split minutes and give us a much better chance of getting 20 points out of the 2 spot than just Korver playing 37 minutes a game and giving us 12-14 by himself while getting worn down trying to play shoddy defense in between scores.

And I would MUCH rather give Aldridge or Gasol $20-22 million and move Horford to the 4 than give Millsap $18 million and continue to play Horford out of position. And I certainly don't mind giving DMC $12 million since we now know he has the potential to pick up any slack and drop 20-22 points on any given night when given the chance. Plus I'll take his defense any day of the week over any 3 spot FA's out there right now too.

So that's it. I really hope this is our plan. Either way, after doing some research and some math, I feel a lot better today about the draft than I did last night. Now bring on free agency and make us proud, Coach Bud.

It took him 10 shots to get 11 points. So now we're going to give him 15 shots to get 15 points?

Pretty sure 15 shots a game would have led the team last year.

Again. That 11 ppg is incredibly misleading.

Also you have us scoring 108 points a game? Lol

We scored 98 points a game (9th, 1st was 110 ppg-Dallas) with 43 rebounds per game (11th, 1st was 47 rpg-Dallas).

If we add 4-5 rebounds per game, plus a LaMarcus Aldridge in place of Millsap, and Korver splitting time with Hardaway, yes, I think it's possible we jump up quite a few points.

It took him 10 shots to get 11 points. So now we're going to give him 15 shots to get 15 points?

Pretty sure 15 shots a game would have led the team last year.

Again. That 11 ppg is incredibly misleading.

I get that you hated the trade, but you're just looking silly now.

Teague averaged 19 shots per game, Korver 17, Millsap 16, and Carroll 15.

Also, DMC was a 6 ppg on 6 shots per game player before coming to Coach Bud's system. Paul Millsap was a 16 ppg on 16 shots per game player before coming to Coach Bud's system. And Kyle Korver was a 8 ppg on 11 shots per game player before coming to Coach Bud's system.

Korver is now a 12 ppg on 17 shots per game player. So yeah, I'll take 15 points on 15 shots any day.

Nice argument though. Not.

The thing you said that makes the most sense is THj will be in a better situation with the hawks and because of the change of culture(team ball) he should play better.The Knicks are a bunch of me first sell-outs.This has the potential to help us right away.I think we resign Millsap and Carrol asap.

I get that you hated the trade, but you're just looking silly now.

Teague averaged 19 shots per game, Korver 17, Millsap 16, and Carroll 15.

Also, DMC was a 6 ppg on 6 shots per game player before coming to Coach Bud's system. Paul Millsap was a 16 ppg on 16 shots per game player before coming to Coach Bud's system. And Kyle Korver was a 8 ppg on 11 shots per game player before coming to Coach Bud's system.

Korver is now a 12 ppg on 17 shots per game player. So yeah, I'll take 15 points on 15 shots any day.

Nice argument though. Not.

Yeah that's just wrong.

Kyle had 8

Millsap had 13

Teague had 12

Carroll had 9.

Stats from basketballreference.com

Just for reference. 12 points at worst is 6 shots. If kyle shot 17 a game, that's an average of 6/17 at best. Yeah... No lol.

I'd re-sign Caroll, then let Millsap walk unless he wants to give us a huge discount but if he wants to pursue the $$$ more power to him he's certainly earned it but I don't want anchor ourselves to a system guy in his mid 30s.

PG-Teague

SG-Hardaway Jr/Korver

SF- Caroll

wait for it....

PF-Horford

C- Brook Lopez

Yeah that's just wrong.

Kyle had 8

Millsap had 13

Teague had 12

Carroll had 9.

Stats from basketballreference.com

Just for reference. 12 points at worst is 6 shots. If kyle shot 17 a game, that's an average of 6/17 at best. Yeah... No lol.

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/stats/_/name/atl

Dude, FGA stands for Field Goals Attempted per game. 3PA = 3-point field goals attempted per game.

Mouse-over them. You'll see.

Brook?

I'd love Aldridge but I feel like Lopez is a much easier sweepstakes to win. Go out and finally get that center we haven't had in forever, move Al to his more natural position and all of a sudden I feel much much much better about throwing away our draft pick for a average starting shooting guard.

I'd re-sign Caroll, then let Millsap walk unless he wants to give us a huge discount but if he wants to pursue the $$$ more power to him he's certainly earned it but I don't want anchor ourselves to a system guy in his mid 30s.

PG-Teague

SG-Hardaway Jr/Korver

SF- Caroll

wait for it....

PF-Horford

C- Brook Lopez

Lopez just stays injured way too much to be depended on.

Dude's got potential. Love Kyle Korver, but I haven't seen him or John Jenkins get their own shot like that.

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/stats/_/name/atl

Dude, FGA stands for Field Goals Attempted per game. 3PA = 3-point field goals attempted per game.

Mouse-over them. You'll see.

Yes I know what FGA stands for....

Espn stats don't work on mobile. Basketball reference works just fine.

Again. If kyle attempted 17 FGs a game and scored 12 points, the VERY BEST Fg% he could possibly have would be 35%. Your numbers aren't right.

I'd love Aldridge but I feel like Lopez is a much easier sweepstakes to win. Go out and finally get that center we haven't had in forever, move Al to his more natural position and all of a sudden I feel much much much better about throwing away our draft pick for a average starting shooting guard.

The Sam Baker of centers? Lol

Kyle korver shot 6 3s a game. Made 3. 50% shooting=9 points.

Kyle korver shot 2 2s a game. Made one=2 points.

Kyle korver shot 1 Ft a game. Made one=1 point.

9+2+1=12ppg. Where does 17 fga fit in?

Lopez just stays injured way too much to be depended on.

Well sh^t show me a young impact player w/ no negative drawbacks at a position of need whose team is simply going to let him out of their sights and lets' go get em.

I think we proved last night we aren't interested in defense.

As if defense can never be taught or learned. You expect a rookie fresh out of college to perform better?

As if defense can never be taught or learned. You expect a rookie fresh out of college to perform better?

Eventually yeah, probably even sooner rather than later. Let's not act as if THJR is somewhere in the middle of the pack in defense whose needs a little seasoning, he's one of the worst in the league. He's going to HAVE to get better just to be alright. Unless your going to tell me Portis or Oubre (two defensive prospects) are going to be historically bad on that side of the ball.

I fully except THJR to develop and eventually improve as a player (he d@mn well better) but that sort of wipes out the "at least we don't have to wait on him to come of age" argument.

So looking into Hoopshype for any new rumors. Apparently we looking at or at least mentioned Tobias Harris as someone we could want , but DMC and Danny Green mentioned as higher priority.

So looking into Hoopshype for any new rumors. Apparently we looking at or at least mentioned Tobias Harris as someone we could want , but DMC and Danny Green mentioned as higher priority.

I'd take Harris in a heartbeat. You'd probably have to get into a bidding war with Orlando, but hopefully them drafting Hezonja would make them more willing to part away from Harris.