I T O L D Y O U S O ! ! !

HolyMoses

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Protecting gay rights was a big part of her platform. Now that it's settled, it's not much of a platform to run on.

Also, with the Supreme Court settling the issue, it both neutralizes the issue for the majority of Americans who support it AND fires up and energizes Christian conservatives who still oppose it.

Protecting gay rights was a big part of her platform. Now that it's settled, it's not much of a platform to run on.

You don't actually think they're going to give this up, do you?

Also, with the Supreme Court settling the issue, it both neutralizes the issue for the majority of Americans who support it AND fires up and energizes Christian conservatives who still oppose it.

They vote in huge numbers anyway. The only thing this really changes for them is that they're slightly more irrationally pissed off than usual which will likely lead to more electoral faux pas.

Yea, I'm curious to hear what this has to do with HRC as well.

If it was unanimous, or even 6-3 (I thought Roberts would rely on the gender argument . . . ) the Religious Right would know the fight was over. But with only one Justice to swing it the other way, they will rally around any Republican Candidate.

The Republicans can elect a moderate to garner the middle, and all the candidate has to do is issue the dog whistle mantra of "Appoint Judges who are not ACTIVIST" and the religious right zealots will show up in droves in the hope of shifting the Court just one vote the other way.

If it was unanimous, or even 6-3 (I thought Roberts would rely on the gender argument . . . ) the Religious Right would know the fight was over. But with only one Justice to swing it the other way, they will rally around any Republican Candidate.

The Republicans can elect a moderate to garner the middle, and all the candidate has to do is issue the dog whistle mantra of "Appoint Judges who are not ACTIVIST" and the religious right zealots will show up in droves in the hope of shifting the Court just one vote the other way.

I thought you meant it opened the door for her to marry her secret lover...

That said, I don't think the government should be in the marriage business anyways. The only thing they should regulate is unions for tax purposes. Marriage should be up to the ones doing the marrying...

They will back whoever has an R next to their name and vote in huge numbers like they do every election. I honestly cannot see what has changed for them outside of probably getting angrier and putting their foot in their mouth on more than a few occasions.

That said, I don't think the government should be in the marriage business anyways. The only thing they should regulate is unions for tax purposes. Marriage should be up to the ones doing the marrying...

Organized religion can continue to do their traditional rites. Ultimately it's all the lead up to the marriage contract.

They will back whoever has an R next to their name and vote in huge numbers like they do every election. I honestly cannot see what has changed for them outside of probably getting angrier and putting their foot in their mouth on more than a few occasions.

Right. The primary impact here is that the stupid people the party doesn't want representing them are now on tilt after the last two days of SCOTUS rulings. That's wonderful news for viral web sites looking for sexy headlines, but it's terrible news for Republicans aspiring to re-take the White House. Even the compilation of candidates today responding to the news was troubling. Only Jeb Bush and Chris Christie sounded rational.

since this is a semantic argument, I am pretty sure that I have read that the government in Italy started using the term marriage before the church and it was later co-opted by the church

Right. The primary impact here is that the stupid people the party doesn't want representing them are now on tilt after the last two days of SCOTUS rulings. That's wonderful news for viral web sites looking for sexy headlines, but it's terrible news for Republicans aspiring to re-take the White House. Even the compilation of candidates today responding to the news was troubling. Only Jeb Bush and Chris Christie sounded rational.

Jeb gave the usual states rights and religious freedom arguments but with the, "not that there's anything wrong with that!" added on.