I Am Betting That Tomorrow Or Monday The Supremes Will Sanction Gay Marriage!

JCITOW

In light of today's ACA decision, I just do not see the court going any other way. Times have certainly changed, which can be a good thing. However, I am not prepared to say that the anticipated decision will be a good change for society.

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why upholding the ACA means they'll lift bans on gay marriage.

It doesn't. The two cases are completely unrelated. And Roberts and Kennedy were skeptical in oral argument.

That doesn't mean they won't. But it sure doesn't mean they will.

The logic used in the first article, that kids need both a mother and father, is an argument that logically lead to outlawing divorce. Secondly the argument that people are having genetically engineered babies isn't something that applies either exclusively or necessarily to gay couples so it doesn't belong in the debate.

The second article mentions crappy parents... Again an argument that could be made against many hetero parents, so again not exclusively or necessarily related to gay parents.

The third article... I think it's satire.

The logic used in the first article, that kids need both a mother and father, is an argument that logically lead to outlawing divorce. Secondly the argument that people are having genetically engineered babies isn't something that applies either exclusively or necessarily to gay couples so it doesn't belong in the debate.

The second article mentions crappy parents... Again an argument that could be made against many hetero parents, so again not exclusively or necessarily related to gay parents.

The third article... I think it's satire.

It absolutely is. I thought it was funny though went through my FB feed some time back. Thought it would lighten the mood.

Dude, I am not getting into a discussion. You said you could not imagine a reason, I gave you a couple and could have given more. I only did that because your statement is as though the ONLY opposition to gay marriage is the Christian faith. It is NOT.

The world is NOT a monolith. I say that a lot. Its a FACT, not an opinion. You will always find others who oppose something. In fact, there seems to be more straight allies than LGBTQ individuals who don't seem to understand that. I wonder why.

You cannot try and move things into the category you like best for something. If a guy says he urinated on the flowers because he thought they needed a drink, then he gave his POV. End of story.

Sorry I should have clarified, I was looking for an argument against gay marriage that wouldn't also apply to hetero marriage that is secular. Out of curiosity, and I know you said you didn't want to discuss, but how can one be libertarian and anti gay marriage?

Sorry I should have clarified, I was looking for an argument against gay marriage that wouldn't also apply to hetero marriage that is secular. Out of curiosity, and I know you said you didn't want to discuss, but how can one be libertarian and anti gay marriage?

Who said I was anti anything? I am pro self ownership. I own my thoughts and statements and while I feel there should be no federal laws hindering another man or woman from doing what they choose in terms of personal relationships, I also own my own mind and mouth to make statements as I see fit and to challenge any and all thoughts and ideas, whether like my own or not.

I am anti thinking everyone thinks the exact same way just because they have commonalities in this life.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22758434

There are lots of secular individuals who think differently on the subject. LGBTQ individuals who don't agree on the subject. It is not simply a religious thought, but a thought found in EVERY walk of life. Its easy as an atheist, agnostic, enlightened, or progressive to believe we are the only one's who have limitations of the subject matter and a view which is not accommodating to those who desire this movement. This is not true. There are many others who also have their own reasons.

You can invalidate those reasons with a prerecorded rebuttal, but it does not change the fact those people do exist. To think otherwise is a mistake.

Comprehensive study finds "no difference" in children raised by same-sex couples

Sorry KoG, I'ma have to take a scientific study by the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus over the word of some [severely confused] gay Tea Party activist.

That's beside the point. I'm not arguing whether the thinking is valid, or not. I'm not interested in whether the individual is confused or not.

The ONLY point is there those who disagree with gay marriage, who don't happen to have a religious reason. Focus now...

I was looking more for quality in opposition not quantity.

Quality is a personal preference man, not a reality. Its a representation of what you already have preserved in your mind as far as acceptable. There is nothing I can do about that and would never be able to satisfy. I did answer you and that's all there is to it...like it or not. The LGBTQ community, atheists, science, NOTHING is a monolith. Its just only the loudest voices will be heard. Even in the Christian community.

A good example

http://www.bustle.com/articles/89826-some-queer-people-dont-support-same-sex-marriage-and-heres-why

That's not very fair and quite judgmental to imply I'm close minded.

Its not about you. Its about the subject matter. The only valid point is we are not all the same and we do not all share the same viewpoint. Like it or not, we are not a monolith and to believe there are only religious reasons against gay marriage is very close minded.

I am not saying YOU are close minded, but that viewpoint is.

It's hardly open minded to pretend there are no good arguments for the contrary position. So......

I never said there weren't, just that i can't imagine one that is exclusive to gay marriage that wouldn't also apply to hetero marriage that is valid to deny a whole group of people a right that you allow another group to have. If there is one I'm open to learning about it.