Totally Hypothetical: What If Slavery Never Existed In America!

JCITOW

Can you imagine? Have you ever wondered what the United States would be like today if the institution of slavery never existed in the U.S. beginning in the 17th Century through the 19th Century? Do you think America would be a different, better or worse country? Would it be as diverse? I know it is difficult to imagine because the ramifications of it seems to permeate the very bone marrow of the history of this country? Is America better or worse today for it and will America (or has American) ever totally move beyond the residuals affects slavery had on the society? What do you think?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the us is what it is today because of slavery and white supremacy, imagining what it would be like is about as fruitful as imagining a world where american indians had invaded europe (though let's be honest, probably a better one). gonna let ta-nehisi coates do the talking:

Here we find the roots of American wealth and democracy—in the for-profit destruction of the most important asset available to any people, the family. The destruction was not incidental to America’s rise; it facilitated that rise. By erecting a slave society, America created the economic foundation for its great experiment in democracy. The labor strife that seeded Bacon’s rebellion was suppressed. America’s indispensable working class existed as property beyond the realm of politics, leaving white Americans free to trumpet their love of freedom and democratic values. Assessing antebellum democracy in Virginia, a visitor from England observed that the state’s natives “can profess an unbounded love of liberty and of democracy in consequence of the mass of the people, who in other countries might become mobs, being there nearly altogether composed of their own Negro slaves.”

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/05/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

As a nation of immigrants we'd probably still be a historically diverse country albeit of a more caucasian European variety. But ultimately even if it wasn't Africans and even if we didn't call it slavery by name it's hard to imagine America making it's way through the industrial revolution not on the backs of some exploited and impoverished group or another. Certainly not without history taking a drastically different path.

achilles return

Yes indeed it is very difficult to do I understand. It is hard to get your hands around the question. But you are not saying that America would not exist but for slavery, right. I do not think the country would have as many blacks living here. I am not sure I would be here. Just imagining this country without a significant percentage of black folks is weird for me. Some blacks would have migrated here but I wonder if they would have experienced racism?

achilles return Yes indeed it is very difficult to do I understand. It is hard to get your hands around the question. But you are not saying that America would not exist but for slavery, right. I do not think the country would have as many blacks living here. I am not sure I would be here. Just imagining this country without a significant percentage of black folks is weird for me. Some blacks would have migrated here but I wonder if they would have experienced racism?

i don't think the question can be answered. america without it's african-american roots isn't any sort of country you would recognize today. african slavery was the engine that powered american democracy, and laid the foundation for the country to build a colonial empire. african-american music and cuisine, is at the heart of a global american culture to this very day.

the us without african plunder, african toil, african labor, and african soul would simply not be the us.

i don't think the question can be answered. america without it's african-american roots isn't any sort of country you would recognize today. african slavery was the engine that powered american democracy, and laid the foundation for the country to build a colonial empire. african-american music and cuisine, is at the heart of a global american culture to this very day.

the us without african plunder, african toil, african labor, and african soul would simply not be the us.

Can you imagine just how radically different music ALONE would be. ......like not even just in this country but IN THE ENTIRE WORLD without the African American Jazz movement? Can't think of any other demographic that's had such a global impact on music.

It'd be boring as all heII.

The food would suck

The music would suck

The folklore would mostly suck

Dancing would suck

The language would suck

Sports would suck

I don't think our culture would have remained static if left to Anglo only devices but there's no doubt it would be different and by our current sensibilities probably not for the better.

I cannot used all the board function, sorry. But ransack call me naïve but where does slavery still exist?

An estimated 60,000 victims of slavery are enslaved in the United States.

http://www.theworldcounts.com/stories/Modern_Day_Slavery_Statistics

• There is an estimated 20 to 30 million slaves across the world today. It is hard to count the exact numbers of a hidden population.
  • 90% of women and children who end up as Sex Slaves were victims of childhood sexual abuse before they were recruited.
  • You are in greater risk of being hit by a bolt of lightning than you are of going to jail, if you enslave a person in South Asia.
  • An estimated number of 800,000 people are illegally trafficked across international borders every year.
  • There are 161 countries affected by human trafficking.
  • The total yearly profit gained from human trafficking is a staggering $32 billion a year.
  • Majority of modern slavery victims are between the ages of 18 and 24 years old.
  • 1.2 million children are enslaved through forced labor and exploited in the sexual industry each year.
  • In 1850, the cost of a slave if converted in today’s dollar value, would be $40,000. The cost of a modern day slave is $90.
  • Brazil leads the world in fighting modern day slavery.
  • In terms of profit, Human Trafficking is ranked as the 3rd largest international crime industry – just behind Drugs and Arms Trafficking.
  • 54% percent of modern day slaves were recruited by strangers and 46% were recruited by people they know.
  • 78% of modern day slaves are in the Labor Industry, while 22% are in the Sex Industry.
  • 55% of modern day slaves are women and children and 45% are men and boys. 26% of them are children under 18 years old.

the us is what it is today because of slavery and white supremacy, imagining what it would be like is about as fruitful as imagining a world where american indians had invaded europe (though let's be honest, probably a better one). gonna let ta-nehisi coates do the talking:

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/05/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

/thread.

Guest facelessman07

It'd be boring as all heII.

The food would suck

The music would suck

The folklore would mostly suck

Dancing would suck

The language would suck

Sports would suck

We'd still have women's soccer. I'd find a way to carry on watching Alex Morgan, Hope Solo, and Christen Press in all their 4k UHD beauty and splendor

I remember when you went by that name. You changed it because of religious convictions. Mucho admiration!

If slavery never existed then I think America would have a greater population of white people and soccer would rule.

I wasn't making fun of him for the name, just to be clear. I was giving a shout out from an old timer on the boards because he probably won't recognize my current screen name.

Hey JCITOW, just so you know...

TopRamen_Beef.gif