He May Not Throw Smitty Under The Bus, But Roddy White Believed It Was Time For A Change

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2015/6/17/8796045/he-may-not-throw-smitty-under-the-bus-but-roddy-white-thought-it-was

Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Roddy White isn't the star he once was. At this point, Roddy is just an above-average second option in the receiving game. That's a not a knock on him as a player, just an observation about where he is in his career. Roddy can still be incredibly effective, even if he's lost a step or two. But in any case, he's a respected leader, and his swagger/toughness combination are unmatched. When Roddy talks, you listen.

Flowery Branch was a depressing place when the Falcons lost to the Panthers in week 17 last Fall. Their season, while never hopeful, would at least include a playoff game. But even before that possibility became a non-possibility, the writing was on the wall for embattled head coach Mike Smith. Smitty helped the team emerge from the ashes in a post-Michael Vick era. He is the winningest coach in Falcons history, and for that, I'll always remember him fondly. But that doesn't mean the players were shocked or even disappointed when the hammer came down. Sure, it was disappointing that his tenure came to an end. But this is a business, and it was what it was.

The talented Jeanna Thomas penned a fantastic read Sunday discussing Roddy's excitement to be playing in a new offensive scheme. Give it a read, if you haven't already. But here are some particularly telling quotes Jeanna got:

"You're going in meetings and actually paying attention now," White said. "Going through the same system for seven years, you're just kind of like going back and forth. You know, every OTA we just go back over the little things, but now, it's new learning, so you're somewhat tentative and just going out there and just learning."

"I just don't think we're going to go out there and throw it 30, 40 times a game like we did in the past," White said. "I'm not saying that we didn't like that, but it's going to be different. We have to get back to our old (style) where we run the football. Play-action passes and convert on third downs."

I tend to read into press conference quotes way more than I ought to, but when you read comments like these, it gives you pause. By the end of Smitty's tenure, the players were uninspired. They weren't being challenged and the coaching staff wasn't pushing the limits or adapting. They were resorting to the same, tired approach, over and over. That couldn't be farther from the truth now.

I said this before, but even tho the players adored Smitty, that doesn't necessarily mean that he was getting the most out of them. I agree with Roddy here, it was time for a change. Still, I have a lot of appreciation and respect for what Smith brought to this franchise. Ultimately I think we will all look back at Smith with great fondness, and if Quinn can lead this roster to a championship, Smith actually deserves a little bit of credit the same way he would deserve criticism.

Thanks again for everything Smitty!

Edited by Atlfanstckndenver

He sounds like he was bored of Smitty's coaching. Kinda like we were of his "all 3 phases" press conferences. I'd much rather hear Roddy talk about himself dropping the ball constantly and what he's doing to correct it, than him comparing Smitty to Quinn.

It's hard to think that Quinn won't be successful here. I mean, has there been one thing that would indicate to you that he won't? I wonder if the Bills, Jets, 9ers, and Bears are as excited about their new coaches as we are about ours.

I'd have to assume the Bills are. They've already set a franchise record for season ticket sales. Think that makes Arthur's wallet itch?

I'd have to assume the Bills are. They've already set a franchise record for season ticket sales. Think that makes Arthur's wallet itch?

Possibly. Of course what else is there to do in Buffallo?

I'd have been more excited to see what Rex could do if he had gone to a place that actually had a real NFL QB

Sometimes a change needs to be made. I don't think Smith is a bad coach, but I do think it was time for the Falcons to move on to a new chapter.

Smith started getting in his own way. He'll learn from his mistakes and go on to coach again. The good news is that he raised the franchise to a new level and Quinn seems like the right guy to take it up another one (or two).

"Going through the same system for seven years, you're just kind of like going back and forth. You know, every OTA we just go back over the little things, but now, it's new learning"

i can see how that would be boring.

It's like working somewhere for a long time but you would be required to attend every new employee orientation.

you're going to meetings and actually paying attention now.

is that a knock on mike smith, or the players? if the players were tuning out, is it Mikes fault they weren't buying in, or is it their fault for not getting behind him

Guest facelessman07

is that a knock on mike smith, or the players? if the players were tuning out, is it Mikes fault they weren't buying in, or is it their fault for not getting behind him

All you gotta do is watch those post-game locker room speeches from previous years and see what was going on

If the players weren't paying attention or interested then, but are now, I'd have to say that's on the coaches.

If the players weren't paying attention or interested then, but are now, I'd have to say that's on the coaches.

That's understandable, but that brings the question of had they been more focused, would they have gained better results

Guest facelessman07

Contrast this with someone like Bellicheck or other long-tenured coaches. They don't change their system, so how do they keep players interested and paying attention?

For one, the system-which is Belichick-is proven, it works

And second...

Rings, baby

All about dem RANGS!!

Contrast this with someone like Bellicheck or other long-tenured coaches. They don't change their system, so how do they keep players interested and paying attention?

I heard they change their offense every year. Maybe not completely, but just enough to limit redundancy and predictability.

They definitely change their system, a lot. On both sides of the ball. They cut veterans indiscriminately and other teams poach up their coordinators every other year. A lot of what they do ends up being emulated by the rest of the league the season after.

Smitty was a fundamentals coach set in his ways. He or any of the coordinators we have could never come up with some of the wild, never-before-seen gameplans that a flexible, innovative coach like Belichick would come up with. They consistently push the NFL rules to the limit on what they can get away with, and it works for them.

Guest facelessman07

Last game of the year sewed it up for Smitty...... Team just flat out gave up.... Love Smitty but it was time for a change.....

I mean, we got WHOOPED by Carolina...at home

The team knew-win this game, make the playoffs, and possibly save our coach's job. But dat didn't happen

The basic message the coaches tried to preach for that game fell flat on the players. 3 points. 3 freaking points!

Smitty did not have a plan from day one as HC here. Now , it's a whole wonderful new Football world with a HC who knows exactly what we need and how to win it all, And knows how to communicate with not only the owners , but more importantly ,, the players... Smitty should be a fan , he wasn't born with a Coaches teaching ability ... Plus he acted like he didn't really know what to do or how to go about it.. Sadly, it was clear from day one to me.

It's on both.

I don't know. Can you force yourself to feel involved, or force yourself to be interested in things that just don't excite you? You can power through it, which I think is what the players did last year, but if you're not feeling something you're not feeling it.