Ot Lamar Holmes Out Indefinitely With A Broken Foot

After his devastating injury, he was never the same player he was in college. Much like Carimi, that injury robbed him of power, explosiveness, and athleticism.

And lest people forget, as a rookie, Carimi showed enough to warrant a Saints bounty. He didn't always suck, and his suckage is not due to a lack of talent or effort.

EDIT: I do agree with your point about development, and how our previous regime seemed to be almost incapable of implementing it. But Jerry was not poorly developed. He was unable to FULLY recover from his injury. And TD knew that Jerry had a history of injuries. Not just one injury, but several injuries, at Ole Miss.

Nolan having him shuffle back into coverage certainly didn't help.

injuries were obviously a big part of it, but Jerry was also known to be an up and down player in college who would take plays off. But I was excited when we picked him, hard to criticize TD on that one.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

injuries were obviously a big part of it, but Jerry was also known to be an up and down player in college who would take plays off. But I was excited when we picked him, hard to criticize TD on that one.

Not for me. As soon as the draft talking heads laid out his injury history, I knew we were probably screwed. Anyone can get hurt. That's a part of the game. But someone who suffers a string of injuries? Something is fundamentally wrong.

Clumsy, and moves awkwardly?

Genetic flaw in their bones, muscles, and/or tendons/ligaments?

Pure bad luck?

I have no idea why. However, players who suffer a cascade of injuries tend to NOT get stronger and healthier as they get older. There are, as with anything and everything, always exceptions. But I think a first round draft pick on the exception is a very poor gamble.

That said, I am not one of the posters who refuses to admit that TD has had draft successes as well. Sure, Jerry was a mistake: a bad pick. But hey! It happens to every single GM ever. No one player, good or bad, defines a GM's overall performance.

Not for me. As soon as the draft talking heads laid out his injury history, I knew we were probably screwed. Anyone can get hurt. That's a part of the game. But someone who suffers a string of injuries? Something is fundamentally wrong.

Clumsy, and moves awkwardly?

Genetic flaw in their bones, muscles, and/or tendons/ligaments?

Pure bad luck?

I have no idea why. However, players who suffer a cascade of injuries tend to NOT get stronger and healthier as they get older. There are, as with anything and everything, always exceptions. But I think a first round draft pick on the exception is a very poor gamble.

That said, I am not one of the posters who refuses to admit that TD has had draft successes as well. Sure, Jerry was a mistake: a bad pick. But hey! It happens to every single GM ever. No one player, good or bad, defines a GM's overall performance.

Overall, we've been better than average on the 1st rounders. It's the mid-to-late rounders we've floundered pretty badly on, which comes back to bite when depth issues/injuries surface.

But more than that, prior to 2014 our drafting plan seemed more about splash than substance.

Overall, we've been better than average on the 1st rounders. It's the mid-to-late rounders we've floundered pretty badly on, which comes back to bite when depth issues/injuries surface.

But more than that, prior to 2014 our drafting plan seemed more about splash than substance.

Now we have sympatico! TD seems to have focused more upon the "sexy" picks. Even his o-line picks early were mostly on OT, which is the closest thing to a "sexy" o-line position. However, there might be a reason for that. It may be something as simple as TD knowing more about and feeling more confident about skill positions than he does the "big uglies".

Now we have sympatico! TD seems to have focused more upon the "sexy" picks. Even his o-line picks early were mostly on OT, which is the closest thing to a "sexy" o-line position. However, there might be a reason for that. It may be something as simple as TD knowing more about and feeling more confident about skill positions than he does the "big uglies".

But it's very hard to win without the big uglies, and impossible to win with the crapola in defensive talent we've thrown out there the last few seasons. And although some of that was coaching, I do put that more on TD than anyone the coaches

This is an ignorant post. TD has drafted some silly high-injury-risk players, but Holmes is not one of them. As far as I can remember, he had no injury concerns in school.

As far as where he was drafted, we had to have offensive line help. We used our two highest picks on Konz and Holmes. Both seemed as good as, or better than, anyone else at those positions at the time of the draft.

Lord knows I will gladly bust TD for his many bad picks. But Konz and Holmes are both examples of good picks gone bad.

So, you're telling us even the players can get Dimitroffed? smh blink.png

• 5 months later...